Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IMU recording using a gyro sensor and thumbdrive — Parallax Forums

IMU recording using a gyro sensor and thumbdrive

Hello!
Given that the US has two successes of landing a big rover on Mars via the skycrane method, an individual took great pains to see if he could either confirm to his certainty that it would work. Or rather not work. Here it is, https://hackaday.com/2021/02/25/demonstrating-the-mars-rover-pendulum-problem-with-a-drone-on-earth/ the drone is as the article says running the flight firmware that the individual created. In my case however, and why it's here in the BASIC Stamp category, is because I am interested in studying the effects of vertical movement.

It would be a Gyro sensor such as the
https://parallax.com/product/gyroscope-module-3-axis-l3g4200d/ and it would be recording to the FTDI based Datalogger that the company sold several years earlier, and thumbdrive.

Right now I am not concerned about the drone, I am more concerned about working out how to grok the idea behind having the sensed movement from the IMU/Gyro to the attached thumbdrive via that unusual widget.

Mascot away.

Comments

• I think there are a few problems with his demonstration.

First I would not use a racing quadcopter as I have tried to fly them and failed. I would use Arducopter which has much more stabilization built into it.

Second, the object is falling from the sky and not just sitting there waiting to be lowered.

I think the gyro is not enough. One of these units would work well with your BASIC stamp, FSM300. In its default configuration, you just attach a couple of wires and serially receive the data which includes Roll, Pitch, Yaw, and an Accelerometer with x, y, and z.

Mike

• Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2021-03-22 15:29

@iseries said:
    I think there are a few problems with his demonstration.

First I would not use a racing quadcopter as I have tried to fly them and failed. I would use Arducopter which has much more stabilization built into it.

Second, the object is falling from the sky and not just sitting there waiting to be lowered.

I think the gyro is not enough. One of these units would work well with your BASIC stamp, FSM300. In its default configuration, you just attach a couple of wires and serially receive the data which includes Roll, Pitch, Yaw, and an Accelerometer with x, y, and z.

Mike

Mike, thank you for your first post. Yes there are problems with his ideas, including his hap-hazard firmware kit. And ideally I thought of using the UAV that was originally from our hosts, but, ah, that guy may not be available anymore.

My idea wasn't to lower my platform but to release it and have it lower itself via a parachute such as the ones used by the Este rocket families.

Anyway I invite more comments.

Mascot says, "I like his post. But where's the food?"