Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Micropython for P2 - Page 13 — Parallax Forums

Micropython for P2

1789101113»

Comments

• I'm learning Micropython, (actually Circuit Python) so forgive the elementary questions.

Will this Micropython be able to use existing Circuit Python libraries? This opens up a lot of possibilities with an existing code base.
    My initial impression of Micropython on the P2 was it appeared to be a very expensive way to run the platform, that is until I realized that you were replacing the necessity of a programming platform like a PC. Then it makes sense!

I'm curious about those boards I saw in the video from 3 months ago. Will these be available from Parallax or a partner?

RJ

• @RetroJeff said:
    I'm learning Micropython, (actually Circuit Python) so forgive the elementary questions.

Will this Micropython be able to use existing Circuit Python libraries? This opens up a lot of possibilities with an existing code base.
    My initial impression of Micropython on the P2 was it appeared to be a very expensive way to run the platform, that is until I realized that you were replacing the necessity of a programming platform like a PC. Then it makes sense!

I'm curious about those boards I saw in the video from 3 months ago. Will these be available from Parallax or a partner?

RJ

Those boards are from @Tubular and I've also wondered if they'd be completed.

As for Circuit Python, TeamOz will answer that question. I believe the effort was to stay close to the hardware and original MicroPython code base produced by Damien.

Ken Gracey

• HI Retrojeff

I suspect running CircuitPython is possible, there's more similarities than differences, we just haven't tried it yet. Do you have a particular library you wanted us to try?

As for the P2DIP40 boards, yes these will be made available, they're about to be deployed in their first serious application and if all goes well we'll run a batch of 180

• @Tubular said:
    HI Retrojeff

I suspect running CircuitPython is possible, there's more similarities than differences, we just haven't tried it yet. Do you have a particular library you wanted us to try?

Neopixel (neopixel.mpy) for those ws2811 strings as provided in the P2 holiday kits

As for the P2DIP40 boards, yes these will be made available, they're about to be deployed in their first serious application and if all goes well we'll run a batch of 180

I would definitely be interested when you have them for sale.

RJ

• Just giving this a small bump to see what the current state of Micropython for the propeller is.
    Curious if it will be able to support downloadable libraries?

RJ

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,855

@ersmith Been a while, but I'm attempting to compile this, without much luck. Not so surprising maybe...

Are there instructions for compiling the P2 version?
    Is it just running make in the riscv-p2 folder?

I've tried in Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu and can't get anywhere...
    One thing is that compiler complains about a lot of QSTR strings that aren't defined anywhere...

edited 2024-04-16 21:14

Or, if possible to provide a release with VGA basepin set to 8, maybe I could skip all this...
    Actually, guess I'd need to change uSD pins too...

edited 2024-04-17 21:52

Ok, think I've finally figured it out...
    Seems I had to download the code version of micropython and not the "latest release".
    Something about integer definitions is wrong in latest release.

Then, had to copy the riscvp2 "latest release" into /opt (instead of wherever I wanted it).
    Also, seemed to be an issue with micropython make expecting version 8.2.0 of riscvp2 instead of the 8.3.0 that I downloaded. One thing is that the folder name needs to be riscv instead of riscvp2, just made a copy for that. Then, fixed error looking for libgcc.a in a 8.2.0 folder when I had a 8.3.0 folder. Just made a copy and renamed to 8.2.0 to fix that.

Anyway, it finally compiles!
    Not sure it works yet though...

Ok, doesn't work.. Get this: *** ERROR: illegal instruction at: 000252D6
    Maybe I need to get the 8.2.0 version of riscvp2...