Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sad Sad Day — Parallax Forums

Sad Sad Day

I've been carrying this in my pocket for at least 10 years. It is my favorite pocket knife and the best I've ever owned.

I've lost it several times over the years and eventually found it each time. Usually it slips out of my pocket into my recliner or I leave it somewhere to be found later. It's so important to me that I have two backups I've kept in reserve over the years.

Well, today I'm very sad to report it's finally met it demise at my hands. I asked just a bit too much. I was trying to pull out a small finishing nail. Was 100% my fault. :-(

Went searching online to replace it. It's showed on Amazon @ $152. Which is about 3-4 times what I paid. Apparently, it's no longer being produced by Leatherman.

I do see where they have a 25 year warranty. I'll try to see if I can get it replaced.

It has served me very well all these years.

Comments

• If it helps it is called a "Squirt E4 leatherman" There are a few out there in the $50 range .... I had a Parallax one years ago, but TSA took it from me. My wife bought another one for me one Christmas. Not with the Parallax brand logo, but essentially the same tool. I use mine all the time.
  • Hey, that looks like a great tool. I see I can pick them up here in Oz for $62 from Kogan but it's for an ES4 which looks similar but is a 9in1 "Electrician"
  • I agree with @"Beau Schwabe" . They are nice tools. Mine was confiscated by the TSA, (the dirty underpaid finks!), so I never had a reason to replace it. Funny thing was I only had a reason to use it once.

---
    Mascot away until Wednesday.
  • I use mine all the time. Great for stripping wires. I love the size. Easy to carry in your pocket.

I've had several other multi tools in the past, but they normally are larger.
    I agree with @"Beau Schwabe" . They are nice tools. Mine was confiscated by the TSA, (the dirty underpaid finks!), so I never had a reason to replace it. Funny thing was I only had a reason to use it once.

---
    Mascot away until Wednesday.

• Found this one...https://toolsid.com/performance-tool/13-in-1-electrician-multi-tool-mpn-w86506.html

Not sure how good it is, but I got two with shipping for $40.
  • JimFouch2 wrote: »
    Found this one...https://toolsid.com/performance-tool/13-in-1-electrician-multi-tool-mpn-w86506.html

Not sure how good it is, but I got two with shipping for $40.

It doesn't have tweezers :-)

Report back and let us know ... I lose mine occasionally and it manages to show up again ... One of these day I might not be so lucky.
  • If it helps it is called a "Squirt E4 leatherman" There are a few out there in the $50 range .... I had a Parallax one years ago, but TSA took it from me. My wife bought another one for me one Christmas. Not with the Parallax brand logo, but essentially the same tool. I use mine all the time.

I also gave mine to the TSA.

KG

• If you go on ebay, there is an entire category for "TSA confiscated multitool" - for $90.00 you can pick up an assortment of 30 confiscated multitools.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Jeff Haas wrote: »
    If you go on ebay, there is an entire category for "TSA confiscated multitool" - for $90.00 you can pick up an assortment of 30 confiscated multitools.

The TSA is smart. Sell them back to those who gave them up, ready for the next round of donations. Nice to see recycling at it’s best ;)
  • The TSA version of a Goodwill thrift store, they called it Illwill.....
  • lol
    jim
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    The TSA version of a Goodwill thrift store, they called it Illwill.....

So true. I've lost my fair share of tools over the years, and some of them were quite literally irreplaceable.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2021-01-19 18:25
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    I also gave mine to the TSA.

KG

08E94791-6C6D-497E-8167-016EB95A5F99.jpeg
    I almost never fly anywhere. LOL

Paul
  • davejamesdavejames Posts: 4,045
    edited 2021-06-11 03:07
    ...found this:

https://www.boeingstore.com/products/leatherman-squirt-es4-multi-tool

Only in black, it seems.

Update 06/10/2021: sold out, it seems. :/
  • Found one, @"Jim Fouch"! Send me your shipping address kgracey@parallax.com

Ken Gracey
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244

KEN SAVES THE DAY AGAIN, HOO-RAH!

I was gonna mention this larger tool I just saw at Walmart. Bigger than the Squirt, obviously. Good reviews though. No idea about the warranty. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-Tough-12-in-1-Folding-Electrician-s-Multi-Tool/866643960

• I carry case pocket knives (aren't cheap) and know the feeling. rest in peace tool. welcome the next tool.

• Oh me...

This thread makes me feel so old.

When I first got in field service and had to fly to go put out a fire my carry-on luggage was a Jensen expanded duty tool case with spare underware tucked inside and a boat anchor of a battery powered o-scope.

Believe it or not the stewardesses would offer you your choice of complimentary cigarettes that you could smoke where you sat and a free mixed drink or two in coach. Worse than that was that of all those payphones that were everywhere you looked in the airport not one of them had place to stick a creditcard.

trooks

Why is it that most the things I can remember are things I would just a soon like to forget. --- I said that.

Phew, just found mine today in a long-hidden toolbox. I semi-panicked when I read this thread over a year ago, unsure exactly where or how lost it was. But today I can resume using this fabulous tool. The wife got it for me long ago, IIRC per a secret suggestion from of the Padre of Parallax, @Whit . Our new pup Chewy is visibly excited!

• Just located mine, too -- a long-ago gift from Parallax:

Not giving it up, for reasons obvious to old-timers here! :)

-Phil

• Got a hankerin' for shrimp tonight. :)

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2021-06-01 03:04

Always handy on my desk at the base of my lamp...

Glad you found yours @erco

• Hello!
    @"Ken Gracey" okay now I've seen my count of branded multi-tool items. Are any left?

@Whit in your photo I saw a Wall-E and a generic robot and C3P0. So where is his sidekick R2D2?

Mascot away.
    No bobcats were involved in this one.

• @"Buck Rogers" said:
    Hello!
    @"Ken Gracey" okay now I've seen my count of branded multi-tool items. Are any left?

@Whit in your photo I saw a Wall-E and a generic robot and C3P0. So where is his sidekick R2D2?

Mascot away.

Nope, but I'd be happy to reintroduce those with our new logo. The price had risen over and over to the point they were not easy to hand out freely. I think last check we were paying about $30 each for this version of "electronics Leatherman".

I'll look into it. Since this thread started I've been thinking we need to bring these back.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

• @"Ken Gracey" said:

@"Buck Rogers" said:
    Hello!

Mascot away.

Nope, but I'd be happy to reintroduce those with our new logo. The price had risen over and over to the point they were not easy to hand out freely. I think last check we were paying about $30 each for this version of "electronics Leatherman".

I'll look into it. Since this thread started I've been thinking we need to bring these back.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

I think you will find it hard to replace those. Leatherman retired the Squirt E4 and Squirt Es4. And don't really AFAIK have a good replacement. Luckily I got my Parallax engraved copy some time ago and I keep it safe!

Sad day indeed.

edited 2021-06-02 02:53

@"Buck Rogers" said:

Don't have an R2D2, but now I am on a quest!

@"Ken Gracey"

I'd buy a new logo version!

LEGO's R2D2 minifigure looks weird. Not to scale because the feet are big enough to snap on pegs. But cheap enough at $5 shipping if you need to complete your collection: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353522949765

And then there's Maude.

Oops, I mean THIS guy.

Pricey though, $29 shipped.

@erco said:
    LEGO's R2D2 minifigure looks weird. Not to scale because the feet are big enough to snap on pegs. But cheap enough at $5 shipping if you need to complete your collection: https://www.ebay.com/itm/353522949765

On its way... erco MADE me do it.

• That R2-D2 reminds me of the poster showing how a simple tree swing changed everytime someone else got involved.

It amazes me sometimes the things that slip through the "Quality System" or lack there of.