Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thermally stable solder paste — Parallax Forums

Thermally stable solder paste

Just noticed this stuff on Digikey:
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/chip-quik-inc/TS391AX250/7802227

Looks like it lasts longer than usual and doesn't need refrigeration.
Is this new? Must be I think...

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    Guess don't need special shipping for it either...
  • As far as I can tell, its just the stuff we used to use before RoHS, rebranded as "thermally stable". Sn63Pb37 is just your standard leaded eutectic alloy that melts at 183 C

Assuming there aren't any other magic ingredients, I can attest to its long life, i have a 500g pot of multicore that lasted about a decade before becoming marginally too dry. You could still use it at a pinch, if you had to

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2021-01-15 02:07
    Tubular wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, its just the stuff we used to use before RoHS, rebranded as "thermally stable". Sn63Pb37 is just your standard leaded eutectic alloy that melts at 183 C

Assuming there aren't any other magic ingredients, I can attest to its long life, i have a 500g pot of multicore that lasted about a decade before becoming marginally too dry. You could still use it at a pinch, if you had to
    My pot of lead-free has somewhat dried. I keep it in the fridge and decant a blob at a time into another jar which saves opening the main jar as often.
    IIRC its' useby was 2012. It's easy to add a little 100% isopropyl alcohol to a scooped out blob and mix and it works just fine :)