Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Plans for P2 Project Board? — Parallax Forums

Plans for P2 Project Board?

Hi,
Are there plans for a P2 project board? Time-line?
My ideal board would be complete with regulators, usb serial, SD holder and Spi Ram and have an attractive price offered in Europe.
At least a dil module would be good, like flip.

This actual module offered now is not attractive, because it is incomplete, difficult to mount flat and adding up all the components you need to make it usable, it is too expensive by far.

I now have a project which could be done with P2 more straight forward than with other controllers.
Regards Christof

Comments

• Hi Christof,

Do you think you could sketch out the board you imagine ?

Would you want headers like on the Eval, or would you want protoboard holes like the P1 Propeller Project Board : https://www.parallax.com/product/propeller-project-board-usb/

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    Hi Christof, are you asking for a P2D2 board?
  • Like VonSzharvas said, a raw sketch, even made by hand on a piece of paper (photo it and attach to your post) would give us some idea. If you could also describe how do you intend to use it (with a breadboard, as a module soldered on your custom pcb, or maybe just with some kind of the convenient connectors at the board edges) that would further simplify the matter for us.
    AFAIK, currently none of the P2 boards out there comes with the spi RAM by default but do come with the spi Flash.
  • There is a discussion of adding hyper RAM to a variant of the P2 Edge.

@"Christof Eb." Have you seen this?
    -- http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172391/kiss-eval-board-ready-to-ship-taking-orders/p1
  • @"Christof Eb." what would this board cost to European customers?

Ken Gracey
  • Hi,
    Sorry, I thought it would be somewhat clear, what a "project board" is supposed to be, as the wording comes from Parallax.
    https://www.parallax.com/product/propeller-project-board-usb/

About price: Teensy boards come from USA and are sold for about the same number of Euros in Europe 27.55 as Dollars in USA.
    Teensy 4.1 is about benchmark for a P2 board. It has got "only one core" but running at 600MHz, can do more than one op per cycle, full double float, 1MB Ram (and it does not need 32 bit per instruction, as far as I know) ,..., a multitasking library and full solid documentation, stable Arduino C, full libraries.
    So this P2 board should be <35 Euros.
    Regards Christof

• Hi,
    Sorry, I thought it would be somewhat clear, what a "project board" is supposed to be, as the wording comes from Parallax.
    https://www.parallax.com/product/propeller-project-board-usb/

About price: Teensy boards come from USA and are sold for about the same number of Euros in Europe 27.55 as Dollars in USA.
    Teensy 4.1 is about benchmark for a P2 board. It has got "only one core" but running at 600MHz, can do more than one op per cycle, full double float, 1MB Ram (and it does not need 32 bit per instruction, as far as I know) ,..., a multitasking library and full solid documentation, stable Arduino C, full libraries.
    So this P2 board should be <35 Euros.
    Regards Christof

American made, this isn't possible. We need to at least earn the same margin that Wal-Mart makes when they put a toilet bowl brush on the shelf (50%).

Chinese made, from our design, a possibility to get it under 35 Euros (~28 USD). Please note that a P2 Edge is $49, and that's after we fought like brothers to have a low price that our customers would like.

We will give this concept a look.

Maybe somebody in the community wants to make this product and we can support with subsidized P2 chips.

Ken Gracey
  • Hmm, I'm thinking if such a project board with the P2 would be even practical.
  • Maciek wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm thinking if such a project board with the P2 would be even practical.

Indeed, that is one strong point of the Edge module format. Move the expensive stuff into a pluggable module, then have the protoboard stuff in a lower cost / replaceable board.

A prototyping PCB similar to the P1 project board (no headers and footprints for users to solder on SD socket, VGA, etc..) with an Edge socket, might be more practical and affordable as one Edge module could be shared across multiple project boards.
  • yes.

Any news of Edge + Hyper ram?

Mike
  • hinvhinv Posts: 1,252
    Yeah, the P1 ProjectBoards are pretty sweet, especially the USB variety (which means you don't have to go hunting for the postage stamp sized PropPlug somewhere in the pile:). One could build quit a bit of stuff on it.

@ErNa I like your sig. Keep up the fight.

• msrobots wrote: »
    Any news of Edge + Hyper ram
    I'm curious, too. And if I may add, do you still plan to keep P32-P35 free and bring them out to the edge connector? Hope so.

• Hi,
    Any news about a project board or a dual inline module complete with usb serial, power supply, SD card? I still think, that a module/board, which is more easy to use and offered for a good price would give P2 a nice boost.
    Christof

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@JRetSapDoog said:
    I'm curious, too. And if I may add, do you still plan to keep P32-P35 free and bring them out to the edge connector? Hope so.

I think it was abandoned. PSRAM is new option for ram expansion. 4x8MB Psuedo Static RAM chips that are only 2mm x 3mm in size. Read more about it and see the pretty pictures:
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/173403/pinout-for-p2-edge-with-spi-psram-aka-the-p2-ec-ram#latest