Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
jonnymac beginners guide part3 — Parallax Forums

jonnymac beginners guide part3

msiriwardenamsiriwardena Posts: 301
edited 2021-01-08 22:37 in Propeller 2
I am unable to locate the documentation and code for part3.
I see a post stating they were posted but I am unable to locate them to download.

Please direct me to it.
Thank you.

Siri

Comments

• @Jonnymac

Thank you very much for the link.
    I am really enjoying following your presentation, I am an old(75 old retired MD from Florida)
    P1 user for about 12 yrs - built a new born ventilator using the P1-with patent.
    I download your files and the videos to desktop and play with
    them at my own pace and I have the jonnymac board and the bundle.
    You are a great teacher and I am a visual learner.

Thank you very much keeping my mind alert busy.(body gets old fast, the mind not so)

Siri

• I'm glad you're enjoying the sessions, Siri, and thank you for the kind words.

Last night I was able to help myself and a friend -- which, hopefully, will lead to helping others. My friend forgot to order a Prop-Plug and he really wanted to get started with the P2 and JonnyMac that was ordered when offered the first time. He told me he had a USB-to-TTL adapter, though, and a box full of parts from when we worked together at a cyber-security company and I was teaching the team electronics. After wrapping my day I opened Inkscape and started drawing. What I've attached helped him get up and running.

Ken Gracey has mentioned "Quick Bytes" a few times now, and at some point that will involve building little circuits on the breadboard. Hopefully, illustrations like that which I created for my friend will work for you and other visual learners. Like you, I am a very visual person, which is why I like clean diagrams and why I am so fussy about my code formatting.

Enjoy the P2!
  • Jon

That's a nice clear graphic. I've not used Inkscape, but looking it up, it seems you need a special 'extension'.
    Googling for these there are many symbols available but not components like yours. Can you direct us to the source of these please?

Dave
  • www.inkscape.org

I don't know what you mean by "special extension." Inkscape produces .svg (scalable vector graphic) which have been around for a long time. I like Inkscape because it's free and very capable. I will admit that I struggled with it a little bit a first, and then I paid $10 for this Udemy course and it all made sense.

https://www.udemy.com/course/learn-to-use-inkscape/learn/lecture/1747518#overview

I made the components by hand. I'm doing this because I'm a control freak -- if it has my name on it, I want total control. :lol: I have a digital caliper and magnifying glass (I'm 58) on my desk at all times. The breadboard looks very complex, but it's just a few components that are are copied and arranged. I always do my drawings 1-to-1 so that they're easy to check. Being SVG, they are infinitely scalable without resolution loss. I have used Inkscape to document PCBs I design for others, because I've found that the vector graphic is easier to read and understand than a photograph of the PCB.

I've attached the current state (Warning: It's a WIP) of my new 2D drawing file. Eventually, I will build out to lots of common parts. You can duplicate (Ctrl-D) something I've build, and then dissassemble it by ungrouping (Ctrl-Shift-G; you may need to do this several times).

Give Inkscape a try. It's a nice program and has myriad uses (I'm a crafter, too, and use Inkscape to create vectors for vinyl and laser cutting).

• Hi

Thanks Jon.
    Well the reason I asked was the quality looked so professional, and so I thought it came from a downloadable 'library' of symbols and indeed the web has many for electrical circuit schematics but not for breadboarding except the one attached below.

Dave

• Interesting this SVG file. Would not pull up in the imageviewer on Fedora 33, whined about the depth or some such message. Loaded up Inkscape to directly see this file. Turns out it was made with a prior version (90DPI) version vs a newer 96DPI version and asks to convert it to be compatible with newer versions. Haven't played with Inkscape before, but if I was still an instructor, I could see this becoming central to creating training materials. Things have come a very long distance from xfig it would seem......

@JonnyMac, absolutely with ya on that control thing.
  • Well, it's actually a brand new file from version 1.0 (am downloading 1.0.1 now). That said, I've been using Inkscape for a few years, so their may be old configuration information on my system that is being grandfathered from previous versions.
  • Well the reason I asked was the quality looked so professional,
    Thanks, Dave, I'm very fussy about my presentation materials. And, FWIW, I find the creation of these graphics very relaxing.