Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BD's Dancing Robots — Parallax Forums

BD's Dancing Robots

Apologies, but this is too darn good to bury in the Robotics Forum! Video posted today and it already has over a million views; Apparently there is nothing these robots can't do... except possibly a figure 8. :)

WOW!

Comments

• Erco

That is frighteningly human like!
    Standing on one leg, jumping both feet off the ground...unbelievable!
    What next?????

Dave
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Must be P2-powered!!!

• Creepy

Mike
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Been looking for a New Year's Day post for Robotics Under the Stole. Thanks All!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2020-12-31 01:53
    When they say robots are made for "dull, dangerous, and dirty" jobs - I didn't know they meant "Dirty Dancing."
  • LÖL
  • That is so... creepy, scary, cool? Can't even imagine the amount of programming
  • I am going to say it right now: this video will set a marker in time, a turning point if you will, for a change in humanoid robotics acceptance by the common person. The fluidity and humanness of this is amazing and really shows that robotics is branching away from "machine" concepts and leveraging "human" concepts, which is required for true acceptance. The circle tap move by the dog is brilliant when you stop to consider what it takes to perform that move mechanically. The 2 wheeled robot concept also shows that old fashioned thinking of what a robot should look like can be tossed out to make a functionally perfect task-oriented robot, even if it looks "odd" at first. It must be amazing to be involved with this work.

Happy New Year all!
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2021-01-08 02:33
    I thought this was very cool —>

—> but scary at the same time —>

—> because if this is the next generation of robotics —>

—>will they take more human jobs away as well—>

—> I hope not—>

—> but I have a feeling that they will soon or later—>

—> this will probably happen anyway

Just keep in mind that I am not against technology but we as society have not yet adjusted to this type of technology as a hole because of fact that we are torn between progress and human jobs taken away because of technology

I hope at the end of the day we as a society can find some type of common ground that we can live with
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    It only shows off the balance and mobility of those machines though. The dancing is all programmed (a coreographer planned the dance), there's nothing autonomous about it, so to me that's not a robot. It's a remote-controlled or programmed mobile device. The *technology* will be super important the day you can add a functioning AI to actually create a real robot. A robot as in "I, Robot".
    Wow, you're hard to impress, Tor. I hope you at least smiled when those bots were a-twistin' their hearts controllers out. :)
  • TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2021-01-13 11:31
    Well, they *aren't* autonomous in any sense (when dancing, at least), unlike even an industrial robot. Thus, not a robot (according to the common definition of a robot).
    But of course the balance, mobility and handing is very impressive.
    I'll wager that BD has plenty of autonomous routines programmed already. Software is easier than hardware of this caliber IMO (bring it, haterz!). But of course watching these bots walk up stairs, avoid random obstacles, open a door, and deliver a piping hot cup of coffee without spilling a drop isn't nearly as interesting as this dance.

• sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2021-01-17 01:20
    Tor wrote: »
    It only shows off the balance and mobility of those machines though. The dancing is all programmed (a coreographer planned the dance), there's nothing autonomous about it, so to me that's not a robot. It's a remote-controlled or programmed mobile device. The *technology* will be super important the day you can add a functioning AI to actually create a real robot. A robot as in "I, Robot".

I do not argue that it might be ( choreography ) but even if this is the case for them keep there balance which a few years was not the case those robots back then they look like Smile when walking to me it just a matter of time before this will be incorporated into the new generation of robots that will have AI then we might be surprised what they would be able to do

• I love the choreography. I'm sure this will become part of our entertainment industry. I'd buy tickets. Battlebots was a bust for me (sorry).

Short parody video -