Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac OS Big Sur and Apple Silicon — Parallax Forums

Mac OS Big Sur and Apple Silicon

CapdiamontCapdiamont Posts: 218
edited 2020-12-13 18:02 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Other than usual problems of me wiring things wrong and using a bad usb cable, I am able to use the Catalina Blocky install for Mac OS Big Sur. This works on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs. I'm happy as I didn't think about possible driver issues and I have a computer I don't have to share as much.

Update: I've had a couple of crashes on the Apple Silicon Mac, but it seems pretty stable.

Comments

• Capdiamont wrote: »
    Other than usual problems of me wiring things wrong and using a bad usb cable, I am able to use the Catalina Blocky install for Mac OS Big Sur. This works on both Intel and Apple Silicon Macs. I'm happy as I didn't think about possible driver issues and I have a computer I don't have to share as much.

Update: I've had a couple of crashes on the Apple Silicon Mac, but it seems pretty stable.
    This is good news. The last time I tried compiling Catalina on the Mac it failed. What changes did you have to make and will Ross adopt them back into his official code base?

• I just used the current version of Blocky. I haven’t tried any other software.
    I just used the current version of Blocky. I haven’t tried any other software.
    Does Blockly use Catalina? I thought it used PropGCC.

• Catalina is the previous Mac OS version to Big Sur. If you want to install Blocky on Catalina or Big Sur, you should install the Blocky meant for Catalina.
    Catalina is the previous Mac OS version to Big Sur. If you want to install Blocky on Catalina or Big Sur, you should install the Blocky meant for Catalina.
    Duh. I forgot about that. I thought you were talking about @RossH's Catalina C compiler. Sorry for the confusion.

• Update: I’m finding that Blocky will crash after having it open for a while. Otherwise it works well.

• I am seeing the BlobklyProp Launcher crashing after being idle for a number of hours when running on the Apple M1 ARM processor. It looks like the nwjs container used by the Launcher is the culprit but it's not actionable until I can gather more details when it crashes.

• How can I help?