Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Download failed - Propeller not found — Parallax Forums

Download failed - Propeller not found

hjbvgg9.png
This is the error message I got from the first run attempt. The propeller board is P8X32A. It's powered properly with the switch lights on (I guess). The USB cable is connected firmly. There is only 1 port (COM1) in the dropdown. Is that the correct port? How do I check if it is the correct one?

I unplugged the USB cable. Downloaded and installed both the Parallax USB driver versions (v2.10.00 and v2.12.16r2) from the link below. Restarted the PC and plugged back in the USB cable. Still the same error.
https://www.parallax.com/package/parallax-ftdi-usb-drivers-for-windows/

Comments

• One way to test you have the right com port...

Disconnect / Reconnect the USB cable and observe the BlocklyProp com port dropdown to see which com number appears / dissapears as the USB cable connection changes.
  • About your Propeller board, could you post a photo to help us identify it, and hopefully look for clues too?

If not, what is the pcb part number and REV letter ? Usually a 5 digit part number printed somewhere on the pcb.

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    One way to test you have the right com port...

Disconnect / Reconnect the USB cable and observe the BlocklyProp com port dropdown to see which com number appears / dissapears as the USB cable connection changes.

Yeah, I disconnected the USB cable and the COM1 is still there. This probably means the propeller didn't get detected at all. How can I fix it then?

• VonSzarvas wrote: »
    About your Propeller board, could you post a photo to help us identify it, and hopefully look for clues too?

If not, what is the pcb part number and REV letter ? Usually a 5 digit part number printed somewhere on the pcb.
    Here is the image of the board.
    7XblQjZ.jpg

KR8NN7y.png
    sXhMsTj.png
    Also the board didn't appear on the device manager and device and printers. Is it possible that the board is damaged or just bad connection?
  • Be aware that if you have loaded some code on there previously that continually transmits on the serial port, that this can interfere with the download detection. One workaround is to hold the Prop in reset (assuming you have a reset button) and just as you tell it to compile and download, release the reset. This is a common problem that causes the USB FIFO to fill up thus jamming up the queue so that the Prop detect data doesn't get through in time.
  • I've had similar but not identical issues with BlocklyProp and Scribbler 3, Parallax has been looking into fixing this for a few months. More info about this issue here https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/172040/scribbler-s3-can-not-set-port-com9s-options-dtr-false
    What I also found out, was that the Online version of BlocklyProp works ok, so that's something you might want to consider for troubleshooting.
  • I had this problem early on with the P2-Eval. It turned-out the USB cable I was using (Amazon, china) didnt connect the data lines, just the power leads. It was a “power-only” cable. You might hook that cable up to something you know to be good (phone?) and see if the PC sees it. If not, you have your culprit!
  • Thanks for the help, everyone.

After a few days of shipment, the new USB cable makes it work now.
  • looks like the WX light was on. Sometimes you need to ground the wx sel pin.