Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Website Store — Parallax Forums

New Website Store

I gave the new website a spin today. Ordered a couple of new click boards and some other goodies. Overall I like the feel of the new store - was on a desktop but I get the impression it will flow really well on mobile device too.

I did have to re-register for the login but that's not a big deal - can still access my previous purchase history on the old site for now.

One thing. I usually select priority mail because it's cheaper and comes faster than UPS Ground but it was really expensive - like crazy high. Could that be a glitch that needs a look?

Doc

Comments

• It is very nice on mobile! Love the new logo!

Excited to see if the forums get redone as well...
  • It is very nice on mobile! Love the new logo!

Forum facelift is coming at year end.
  • Yeah there are some issues with shipping charges that are getting worked through.

Ken was in the zoom conference today but had to leave to work with the web team, so I'm guessing it will get worked through as a priority
  • About these USPS shipping charges. It would help to see the following from somebody who experiences these crazy-high fees:

A list of items in your cart
    The zip code you used
    The shipping charges that showed up

Send me a screen shot of the whole mess via e-mail kgracey@parallax.com. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Ken
  • Looks nice!

Any chance our existing order history will be transferred to the new site?
  • davejames wrote: »
    Looks nice!

Any chance our existing order history will be transferred to the new site?

Unfortunately, no. I know, this part sucks. It's a matter of weighing the time required to port one system to another and the benefits realized by Parallax and customers. This particular task didn't pass the bar.

Sorry Dave! If there's a way to make it up to you just let us know.

Ken Gracey
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    It is very nice on mobile! Love the new logo!

Forum facelift is coming at year end.

Woohoo!
  • Hello!
    I especially like the P2 board, and breadboard. It's now on my TODO list.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »

Not a problem, Sir. I was just asking. Went back to the old site and took screen grabs of the orders for reference.
  • davejames wrote: »
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Not a problem, Sir. I was just asking. Went back to the old site and took screen grabs of the orders for reference.

And how will that help? (I was going to post a really strange response, but I changed my mind.)
  • And how will that help? (I was going to post a really strange response, but I changed my mind.)
    I took the screen grab images and stuffed them into a Word doc, which gives me a record of "what & when" I purchased items from Parallax. Yes, there are the paper travelers that come with the shipments (if I can find them), and maybe even old email confirmations.

I'm a document freak; what can I say? :blush:
  • What was the resolution on the Priority Mail pricing? I went to buy a Mystery Box, but the cheapest shipping was UPS Ground for $15. Priority Mail was $20!
  • Seairth wrote: »
    What was the resolution on the Priority Mail pricing? I went to buy a Mystery Box, but the cheapest shipping was UPS Ground for $15. Priority Mail was $20!

Hey Seairth, I'm nearly certain this is because a 2.6lb box is indeed less expensive to ship with UPS Ground. Inbound shipping rates are going up at Parallax, too.

The only winners are small exports from China that are sold on Amazon.

Ken

Seairth wrote: »
    What was the resolution on the Priority Mail pricing? I went to buy a Mystery Box, but the cheapest shipping was UPS Ground for $15. Priority Mail was $20!

Hey Seairth, I'm nearly certain this is because a 2.6lb box is indeed less expensive to ship with UPS Ground. Inbound shipping rates are going up at Parallax, too.

The only winners are small exports from China that are sold on Amazon.

Ken

Okay. That's a bummer about the shipping. When I updated shipping for my address (instead of just ZIP), UPS went up to $19. :disappointed: While I enjoy getting the Mystery Boxes, I think I'll have to pass this time. It's not that I can't afford the shipping, but there's some sort of mental stumbling block about paying almost 50% more just for shipping. I know it's irrational. Honestly, it's probably the Amazon Prime free shipping that's skewed my perception of shipping costs (I don't buy much of the direct-from-china stuff).

On the bright side, it looks like the boxes are selling quickly. I hope everyone is getting some neat stuff to play with in the new year!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-12-29 20:45
    A bit more on the shipping rates since it's been on my mind for 25 years. Every time I research the situation, check our settings, it's the same story. This is what we have in place:

For USPS domestic service, we are offering list prices based on package weight and destination.
    For USPS international shipping, we are offering flat-rate service pricing.
    For UPS domestic, we are offering the negotiated rates with no markup.
    For UPS international, we are also offering our negotiated rates without any markup.

So, the USPS rates are the same as you'd get at the postal office. The UPS rates are less than you would get if you shipped the same package on your own with UPS (and probably 35% of what you'd pay at a MailBoxes Etc. Store to ship the same package).

We're doing EVERYTHING we can to keep these rates under control. As for Amazon and their PRIME shipping, we obviously can't compete against the expectation they've set. We can raise prices and make shipping "free" if preferred. There's a dark side to this PRIME stuff, though. It's a long story but I'm happy to tell it [again] if anybody has the stomach for it. Bottom line: you "pay" for the inbound shipping from China to an Amazon warehouse through your USPS fees, and most of the shipments don't pay tariffs because they're under $600. Ever order a whole bunch of stuff from Amazon and receive it in the smaller packets the supplier sent to Amazon to get under the tariffs and qualify for the e-Packet free shipping? How all that works exactly? Well, sit down and let me tell you a story. . .

I understand what Seairth pointed out: the shipping/package cost of a Mystery Box is indeed high. It's still a value :smile:

Ken Gracey
    A bit more on the shipping rates...

I really didn't intend this thread to become another "cheaper shipping plz" thread. I understand the predicament you are in. In this particular case, I think the issue (between my ears) is that the Mystery Box is an impulse purchase, so the initial impulse is based on the initial price I see. When the out-the-door price differs considerably, I question my impulse.

I suspect that's also why Amazon Prime is so successful. The pricing doesn't make me question my impulse purchasing. The funny thing is, I actually pay Amazon to get "free" shipping. Admittedly, we also benefit from Prime in a number of other ways. In the end, we probably don't really save any/much money on shipping.

(Also, I see there there is ONE MYSTERY BOX LEFT! If someone still wants one, get it now! http://www.parallax.com/product/mystery-box/)

We're doing EVERYTHING we can to keep these rates under control.

Seems Parallax shipping rates to be very good. The smaller guys it seems they're trying to profit off of S/H. For example, I just ordered the 'lego' micro servos mentioned on this board and paid $15 to ship $24 worth of servos. I'm sure the ship cost was $4.

I like what pololu and sparkfun etc do. When I ordered an Arduino, the box was really no bigger than the Arduino. Unless its glass or something, this is perfectly fine.
  • Seairth wrote: »
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    A bit more on the shipping rates...

I really didn't intend this thread to become another "cheaper shipping plz" thread.

It's not; you're safe Seairth and we understand your messaging :smile: Knowing you as a friend and supporter of everything we do I certainly recognize your point of how an impulse purchase puts a different value on the shipping cost.

It piques my perpetual business mind anyway, wondering how we can do things better. I'm mostly concerned about our European customers; they pay so much to get a Parallax box sent to them.

Ken Gracey