Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Arduino layout P2 board? (It Works! Eagle design files posted). — Parallax Forums

Arduino layout P2 board? (It Works! Eagle design files posted).

RaymanRayman Posts: 13,854
edited 2020-11-23 13:57 in Propeller 2
I've been testing out the new FTDI EVE3 GPUs and trying to get hold of the new EVE4 GPU chips and saw this new thing in development:
https://www.crowdsupply.com/excamera/gameduino-3x-dazzler

I think I'll do something similar to this dazzler, but am wondering if somebody making a P2 board with the Arduino layout would make sense...
I'm guessing there's a lot of Arduino accessories that could be used if there were one...

Update: I've made a quick board so that I can test out the Dazzler, when it comes (soon, I think).
Board seems to work, although haven't tested all the pins.
This board is based on another design, so not really perfect layout. Could probably be improved by rotating the Prop chip.
But, I already had a stencil that would work with this and didn't want to iterate on the design...
The Eagle design files and Gerbers are posted here.

Comments

• Yeah, neat idea.

And might be "simple" enough if the Edge module was leveraged, so no need to worry about any of the P2 layout stuff.

I wonder how the Edge module size relates to the Uno size. Looks like it might fit ok. Maybe such a board "just" needs the edge socket set out with the arduino header formation. The right-angle edge socket might work nicely if it fits.

Perhaps with an on-board USB interface circuit, or header socket for the Prop-Plug.
    I suppose the thing that could be simple or not-so-simple is the power supply part (as always!). Creativity in that department knows no bounds :)

Would be great to see such a board.
  • So why can't we get a dazzler for the P1 and P2. It's time to ditch the VGA and move on to HDMI.

Finally we would have output worthy of the P2 without bogging down the P2 with simple graphics.

Mike
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,854
    The dazzler uses a Spartan FPGA chip to convert 24-bits of RGB to HDMI.
    It's a nice solution, but adds at least $10 to cost, I think.

Another approach might be to use P2 to convert 24-bits of RGB to VGA. Then, one could buy a $9 VGA to HDMI cable, if they wanted.
    Hard to imagine using the Edge for an arduino compatible layout. Unless, is there a right angle connector?
    That would maybe work with Edge sideways underneath...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    Another approach might be to use P2 to convert 24-bits of RGB to VGA. Then, one could buy a $9 VGA to HDMI cable, if they wanted.

Doesn't that just need 3 resistor DACs? I guess running it past the P2 allows cool stuff like scaling the output around or applying post-processing.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,275
    edited 2020-10-29 13:45
    Rayman wrote: »
    Hard to imagine using the Edge for an arduino compatible layout. Unless, is there a right angle connector?
    That would maybe work with Edge sideways underneath...

Yep, I thought the same!

"The right-angle edge socket might work nicely if it fits."

There is a right angle connector. Check the Edge product user guide for part numbers (I think they are in the feature description area, although it was late last night I read that doc!).
    The connectors will be in the new Parallax webstore, or I guess ask sales if you need to order them sooner.

Edit-- ok, having typed that, curiosity had me take another look :)

11. Edge connector
    The 0.05” (1.27mm) pitch 80 way edge connector extends on both sides of the module, with 40 connections on each side. Refer to Edge Connector Pin Assignment for full details.

Suitable connectors will be available from the Parallax webshop:
    450-00308 - Card Edge Socket, Through Hole, Right Angle
    450-00310 - Card Edge Socket, Through Hole, Vertical
    There are a ton of Arduino shields out there... Even Parallax has some...
    Could use to make super BOE bot...

Need to think of something clever to do with all the extra P2 pins...
  • The unit output 720p video so you need over 2meg of memory just to hold the 24 bits screen data. The P2 only has 512k so that's not going to work.

You can get 3 boards without the Arduino backpack for $99.

Mike
    Could copy the Arduino mega layout.
    It has a bunch of io too...
    Could copy the Arduino mega layout.
    It has a bunch of io too...

That would be a great board. Tons of existing hardware including the CNC/3D printer boards that would snap right on.

Considering how big the Arduino market is I am surprised that this was not the FIRST style of board they made with the P2. People are always looking for another more powerful version to play with. I have used a number of the MEGA and DUE versions for projects and they are not nearly as capable as a P2 version would be.

Found Eagle files for an Arduino MEGA here: https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=570966.0

Took a quick look at copying over layout from my P2 board.
    Looks like I can get the important stuff there using my existing stencil.
    Can hand solder the other parts needed.
    2069 x 1117 - 182K
    Actually, I just realized the Arduino has 5V I/O...

I need to figure out how the dazzler3 is interfacing to the 3.3 V I/O EVE3 chip...
    Actually, I just realized the Arduino has 5V I/O...

I need to figure out how the dazzler3 is interfacing to the 3.3 V I/O EVE3 chip...

The Due, same basic pinout as the Mega, has 3.3V I/O as well. Many of the later add-on boards can work with either.
    edited 2020-11-03 19:29
    Thanks! Maybe that explains it. I know very little about Arduino....

Also, I'm relieved that add-on boards can use 3.3 V I/O. Was feeling this was a dumb idea for a moment...
    I asked the dazzler 3 developer about 3.3 V I/O and he actually responded in just a few hours...
    He says that it can work with 3.3 or 5 V I/O. Has a 74LVC245 to do the level translating.

That may bode well for using other boards with this as well. Perhaps this Due changed things...
    Board is coming together... Crossed a couple layout hurdles...
    1707 x 1023 - 363K
    This didn't work out as well as I'd like... Several P2 pins I can't route...

Maybe using the edge module would make more sense... Still, this is good enough for most things. Just missing a bunch of the digital pins...
    2428 x 1313 - 598K
  • To me it just looks like you need to rotate the P2 90 degrees CCW. That will liberate those P16~31 pins
    The layout could be much better if I started from scratch.
    but, I did a copy and paste from a proven design so that I can use an existing stencil.

Anyway, here's the final (I think) design. Duplicated many header pins so could populate the digital pins.
    1985 x 1132 - 625K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Nice Ray.
    BTW if you’re using JLCPCB for pcbs, get a stencil without the frame. For my RetroBlade, I just had them make a 150x150mm stencil with both sides on the one stencil, and no frame. Cost ~$10. The real saving is the freight as when you get it with the frame the shipping blows out!
    That’s a great price! I think mine are $180. But, I’m guessing that is kapton, right?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Rayman wrote: »
    That’s a great price! I think mine are $180. But, I’m guessing that is kapton, right?

No. They are s/s but probably a cheaper variety. The mylar from OSHStencils work fine too for the volumes we're doing. But by the time you add shipping from oshstencils there's no point in not getting from the pcb manufacturer is they are cheap enough.
  • Rayman, you're missing the 6-pin ICSP header. Unfortunately some shields use that header for serial comms. And it couldn't be more in the way right in the center of the board.

It's been a long time though, maybe those shields aren't around anymore.
    (I think maybe it's the ethernet shield??? Ug my memory)

Addit: yep that's the one
    Thanks! I see some cheap ethernet shields on Amazon.com that use that header too...

Doesn't look too hard to route that in... Except reset might be tough...

2019 x 1137 - 335K
    ICSP.png 334.8K
    Think it's done again. Might try to get this ordered today...
    1946 x 1052 - 413K
    1792 x 1357 - 44K
    1664 x 1114 - 15K
    2067 x 1275 - 44K
  • Excellent work!

Any idea yet what the costs will be?

If it works, I'll post the Eagle design files and hope somebody else will take this up and sell them.
    Or, better yet, maybe somebody will do a better job with this...

But, board should be fairly cheap as doesn't have much of anything on it, besides P2, USB, and power...
  • Be careful not to plug any 5V IO shields without level translation or P2 IO pins might suffer...

• Yeah this is the big challenge.
    You could put 3v3 or 4v0 on the 5v bus so you know the P2 can't get damaged, but a few things won't work.
    You could sit the P2 up a diode drop but thats kind of ugly
    I wonder what the current rating on P2 pins in reverse bias is? 500uA like the P1? 1mA?