Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Edge & Jonny Mac Edge Module Breadboard Road Test — Parallax Forums

P2 Edge & Jonny Mac Edge Module Breadboard Road Test

Just a NeoPixel Ring, an encoder, 3D printer, some of Jonny Mac's code and a P2!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wvFstuQYUdk3Gc7TZPjn5EC2szmJQlDE/view?usp=sharing

dgately

Comments

• Oh yeah... :)
  • Nicely done, Dennis!
  • Wonderful, Dennis.

Everybody: post more pictures for us to use for marketing purposes. We're all in this together (and I need some application-based photos!).

Ken Gracey

• I’ve tinkered with a rotary encoder and @JonnyMac ‘s jmquadrature_demo.spin2

5D913CC1-E011-403B-96C4-530E0C9AC692.jpeg

And @cgracey ’s HDMI spiral demo

A7A9D4B5-07D8-484A-878D-320C0565D072.jpeg
  • dgately wrote: »
    Just a NeoPixel Ring, an encoder, 3D printer, some of Jonny Mac's code and a P2!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wvFstuQYUdk3Gc7TZPjn5EC2szmJQlDE/view?usp=sharing

dgately
    That’s awesome!

• doggiedoc wrote: »
    I’ve tinkered with a rotary encoder and @JonnyMac ‘s jmquadrature_demo.spin2

5D913CC1-E011-403B-96C4-530E0C9AC692.jpeg

And @cgracey ’s HDMI spiral demo

A7A9D4B5-07D8-484A-878D-320C0565D072.jpeg

Jealous! You guys bought all out before I got back from the kitchen. :(
  • @Publison - come on down this weekend. I’ll share.
  • And it took me several hours but I finally got @Rayman ’s picture to load on the 7” HDMI, although not perfectly yet.

625BB6D3-F571-4CCF-B3E4-FD3AB42DA01E.jpeg
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,800
    What is that rotary encoder thing? Looks like some sort of dial breakout?

@doggiedoc I think you have it. The image is only 640x350 but lcd is 640x480, I think...
  • Rayman wrote: »
    What is that rotary encoder thing? Looks like some sort of dial breakout?
    If you mean the encoder in my video...

The demo used a Parallax Smart LED NeoPixel Ring 12 x 5050 part: #28088 and a 3D-printed module that holds the NeoPixel ring and a Keyes Quadrature Encoder board (Similar to: https://amazon.com/WayinTop-Degree-Encoder-Development-Arduino/dp/B07T3672VK/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Keyes+rotary+encoder+board&sr=8-1 OR https://amazon.com/Waveshare-Encoder-Sensor-Development-Rotation/dp/B00NL7PVGM/ref=sr_1_39?dchild=1&keywords=Keyes+rotary+encoder+board&sr=8-39)

The .stl file for 3D printing is attached. It's really just a prototype that would be part of a larger front panel.
    Encoder_Dial_Module.png

dgately
  • @Rayman - if you mean the one I mentioned its just a 20 position encoder with normally open switch push button. I found it in one of my parts boxes and haven’t a clue where I got it :-) - but it is similar to this one at Adafruit.
  • @dgately Nice! I was looking for one more item to add to my next Amazon purchase. Is the knob 3D printed as well? It looks like it's the same color as the base.
  • doggiedoc wrote: »
    @Publison - come on down this weekend. I’ll share.

I have relocated to Nashville area, so we are now on the same latitude. :)
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    @dgately Nice! I was looking for one more item to add to my next Amazon purchase. Is the knob 3D printed as well? It looks like it's the same color as the base.
    Yes, 3D printed, "LeCroy scope knobs"... You can find the design files on Thingiverse: https://thingiverse.com/thing:1702637

• Did I miss the release of the P2 Edge?

I've been check Parallax's shop a couple times a day. Do I need to request one over the phone?

Thanks for sharing your projects everyone. This is very exciting.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    Did I miss the release of the P2 Edge?

I've been check Parallax's shop a couple times a day. Do I need to request one over the phone?

Thanks for sharing your projects everyone. This is very exciting.

Shortly, in about a week, we'll have the P2 Edge for backorder again. We're out of stock at the moment anyway and won't have more until about the 20th of November.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Shortly, in about a week, we'll have the P2 Edge for backorder again. We're out of stock at the moment anyway and won't have more until about the 20th of November.

Ken Gracey

Thanks for letting me know Ken.

I don't mind putting money down early in order to get at least one from the next batch.
    Will this sort of info be available in the P2 email you send? I want to make sure I'm watching the correct places.

• Duane Degn wrote: »
    Ken Gracey wrote: »

Ken Gracey

Thanks for letting me know Ken.

I don't mind putting money down early in order to get at least one from the next batch.
    Will this sort of info be available in the P2 email you send? I want to make sure I'm watching the correct places.

Yes, it's in the regular P2 e-mail you receive from me. We're timing the release of the P2 Edge with a new web site that includes all of these items:

P2X8C4M64P P2X8C4M64P P2 multicore uC
    64000 Propeller 2 Evaluation Board Rev. C
    64006-ES Propeller 2 Accessory Kit
    P2-EC P2 Edge Module
    64018 P2 Edge 80-pin Adapter Kit
    64019 P2 Edge Mini Breakout Board
    64020 P2 Edge Module Breadboard
    64007 P2 to WX Adapter
    64008 P2 to Click Adapter
    450-00310 Connector Socket for P2 Edge (straight)
    450-00308 Connector Socket for P2 Edge (right angle)
    32201 Prop Plug
    750-00001 USB Mains Adapter, 18W, 5V, 3A
    805-00019 Cable, USB A to DC 2.1mm Jack

64200 4-20 mA R Click
    64201 4-20 mA T Click
    64202 AIR QUALITY Click
    64203 Brushless 3 Click
    64204 eINK Click - bundle
    64205 Environment Click
    64206 LightRanger 4 Click
    64207 LSM6DSL Click
    64208 OLED C Click
    64209 Ozone 2 Click
    64210 PROTO Click
    64211 Proximity 3 Click
    64212 Relay2 Click
    64213 RS485 Click 3.3V
    64214 mikroBUS Shuttle Bundle
    64215 Stepper 2 Click
    64216 WiFi BLE Click
    64217 RTC 10 Click
    64218 Nano LoRa Click
    64219 MPU 9DOF Click
    64220 Nano GPS Click
    64221 CAN SPI Click
    64222 3G Sara Click

Most of these items will be in stock when the site is released.

Ken Gracey
    Yes, it's in the regular P2 e-mail you receive from me.

Fantastic. Thanks for letting me know about this. Apparently I was a bit out of the loop on some of this. I'll make sure and read the P2 emails you send.

• So I got my P2 Edge Module and the P2 Edge Breadboard and P2 ES accessories, Yippee...

The boards look nice, especially the signed P2 Edge Module Breadboard.

I've been successful in trying out various TAQOZ operations.
    I've been successful in using FlexProp to compile and run C, Spin2 and BASIC programs.
    I've been successful in using PNut_v34z for the most part.

But I haven't been able to figure out how to get Chip's various DEBUG demo programs to display something.

What hardware/setup/software do I need to visually see the fancy debug graphics? I was under the impression that they were displayed on the PC in a window. So far I haven't found any special setup information in the documentation or in the forum.

I'm sure I'm overlooking something simple, can someone please give me some clues... Thank you.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2020-11-09 00:53
    Francis, I just called Chip and he says "what is documented is not caught up with the code yet, and tomorrow I'll have a new version out and everything will be working -- at the moment the documentation and the software are way out of phase".

He will be posting a new PNut by Monday evening / Tuesday morning. It'll include the latest compiler, debug and some examples.

I was trying to figure out the same thing so I could get some more interesting pictures/animated gifs for our web site.

He was awake for 24 hours when I called, so I didn't press him to finish it today :smile: but you can imagine I was tempted.

Ken Gracey

Francis, I just called Chip and he says "what is documented is not caught up with the code yet, and tomorrow I'll have a new version out and everything will be working -- at the moment the documentation and the software are way out of phase".

He will be posting a new PNut by Monday evening / Tuesday morning. It'll include the latest compiler, debug and some examples.

I was trying to figure out the same thing so I could get some more interesting pictures/animated gifs for our web site.

He was awake for 24 hours when I called, so I didn't press him to finish it today :smile: but you can imagine I was tempted.

Ken Gracey

Thanks Ken, no problem I'm the patient type, I've got lots of other things to keep me busy. Be sure Chip gets some sleep every once in while, we don't want to lose him in the P2 home stretch..
  • @"Francis Bauer" I like your quote. Where does it come from?
  • CJMJ wrote: »
    @"Francis Bauer" I like your quote. Where does it come from?

Glad you like the quote.

I found/seen the quote a number of years ago from an online comic strip.

Check out the following https://quarksnquirks.wordpress.com/2014/04/07/antimatter-dark-matter-doesnt-matter/

I collect these kinds of quotes/sayings and add them to my "fortune" program that is currently up to 355 entries now.