Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax IDE project file location — Parallax Forums

Parallax IDE project file location

I have returned to the Basic Stamp world after a long long time. Today I installed the Parallax IDE Chrome extension which works great on my Linux laptop. My first question is where do the project files go? I create a project, add files, but can't find them anywhere on my laptop?

Also, I have a bunch of projects from way back in 2006 on my laptop. How do I get to them from the IDE?

Looking forward to lots of fun just fiddling with the basic stamp. I got the dev board years ago for a specific project, but the project rapidly grew too big for this little guy so ended up redoing it on a Raspberry Pi.

Comments

• Found 'em!

They're in my Google Drive. Soooo... I just need to upload my old stuff to there and I should away!
  • Okay. Where do I need to upload the files into Google Drive so that the Parallax Chrome IDE will pick them up?
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2019-10-31 08:31
    Does this resource help ?

https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Parallax-IDE-Getting-Started-Guide-v0.10.0_0.pdf

Page 28 seems to show how to load an existing program.
    If the folder is not obvious, then try creating/saving a new project. Then check where that was saved, and copy your old files to the same place ?

Although... I'd have thought the "open project" dialog would allow you to select any folder in your cloud drive.
  • Hello!
    Von a completely way-out past left field question to what he (our correspondent @SteveGreen ) asked about.

The Chrome browser is available for the Pi. Why? Good question. I don't know.

However... The Parallax IDE Chrome extension once loaded onto Chrome here, becomes available there. Has it been tried there?

For those of you who own a Chrome OS device, that means your Parallax problems are solved.

----
    Mascot away until Monday. Please leave your messages at the sound of the Yak.
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    Does this resource help ?

https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/Parallax-IDE-Getting-Started-Guide-v0.10.0_0.pdf

Page 28 seems to show how to load an existing program.
    If the folder is not obvious, then try creating/saving a new project. Then check where that was saved, and copy your old files to the same place ?

Although... I'd have thought the "open project" dialog would allow you to select any folder in your cloud drive.

Er ... no.

The only projects I can "see" from the IDE are ones that were created by it. No other folders are visible. While I can see the project files in Google Drive, I cannot see the project folders.

Oh well, never mind. I'll just cut 'n paste my code into the IDE cloud space.

Thanks.
  • Does the newest version of Parallax IDE still save to drive? I tested a couple quick programs and cannot seem to find them there.

Due to COVID, I will have my students using this program instead of the Basic Stamp editor (so they aren't sharing computers) and I usually have students upload all of their files to show they have done the work.

I am trying to find the easiest way to explain how to do this, but cannot find any of the files on my end.

Any help is appreciated!
  • @"Jeff Martin" Would know for certain. I don't think anything changed recently, so you should be able to save code to the local drive.

Finding the save folder location might be the key to success. Hopefully that is a standard place on all student chromebooks by default.

If saving to a pendrive is possible, maybe that could be a possible solution too.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 751
    edited 2020-10-26 16:11
    Parallax IDE stores the files on the local computer in the browser's storage database (a place that's not really possible to read the file from outside of Parallax IDE) and also copies it to the user's Google Drive (in a hidden folder) if the user is logged into Chrome with their account. If they are on Chromebooks, that's a given; however, it works best if the students are always using the same Chromebook.

All things considered, there are two ways they can share the code.

1) With the source code open in Parallax IDE, they can press Ctrl+A from within the editor to select all the source code, then press Ctrl+C (or right-click > Copy) and then can paste it (Ctrl+P or right-click > Paste) in an email or into a text edit program (where they can save it as a file that can be attached to an email)

-- or--

2) They can go to their Google Drive:
    * drive.google.com (log in if you need to)
    * In the search field type: Chrome Syncable Filesystem. Press enter key
    * Double-click on the Chrome Syncable Filesystem folder in the search results
    * Double-click on the Parallax IDE app's unique identifier code (dnbdfbgkkplmnh...) folder
    * You should see the folders and files you've created in Parallax IDE there.
    * A copy can be made or shared via email from there