Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Public games repo - Call for code! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Public games repo - Call for code!

2»

Comments

• I think I've now recorded all the interesting ones I've currently got on my SD card (that did not already have videos made by the authors, that is (Unterwelt's HEL driver in particular glitches up my capture device quite badly (the weird jailbars I've talked about before, flagging, horizontal jitter and for some reason the color burst intrudes into the picture on the left - totally fine on all the TVs I've tried though), so anything I could make wouldn't be very good, anyways)
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,351
    edited 2019-12-09 17:22
    And because I've got everything hooked up and am out of video material, y'all can treat yourself to a teaser of whatever game thing I've been working on for a quite while:

If this looks "barely even started" to you, that's because it is. That's both because I work incredibly slowly and because I had to build a lot of tooling. I built:
    - A custom video driver (you may know and/or love this as JET Engine)
    - A custom XMM runtime
    - A custom XMM macro-assembler (except it's really just Ruby in a trenchcoat)
    - A fast high-level emulator for PC (which I could have recorded instead of the native P1 version to bypass the crappy composite capture, but something something authenticity, you know?)
    - A GUI graphics and map editor
    - A bunch of other random gunk
  • That looks stunning! Very LTTP-like in some ways (my personal favorite Zelda). I haven't seen too many P1 games that looked what I'd call SNES-level graphics, but this does, IMO.
  • Not quite SNES-level, there's still only one BG layer :smile:
    Although certainly better graphics than any NES game. Just so many more colors to go around.
    edited 2020-08-06 19:37
    I made a playlist of all the videos I use in my software archive - the one I recorded are all unlisted, so this is the only way to find them all without going through the actual archive. It also has the videos I didn't do myself.

CLICK ME
    L_____M
    I______
    C_____K
    K_____C
    ______I
    M____L
    EM KCILC

• Why not just port the MAME/MESS emulator to the P2 - then you could cover most games, computers, and old console systems.
  • Simple: It's too big/inefficient to fit in 512k Hub.
    edited 2020-10-11 21:38
    Through the believed-to-be-infinite power of procrastination, I have accomplished the grueling task of setting all the game videos public (so they show up in searches; annoyingly this resets their upload date, causing them to obscure all my other videos until I post new ones) and adding a backlink to the repo page to each.

I've also noticed I got a couple ones in the repo that still don't have a video and I need to make a new one for Spintris, so I'll do that, like, next week I guess.

Also, I guess this is also where I'll link my project list (apparently signatures don't show to not-logged-in users)

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,333
    Are we doing Spin games only, or are other languages allowed?

Attached is a binary of SpaceWar! that runs on the C3 (VGA, keyboard). The source is written in C and is available in the demos\vgraphics folder of Catalina.

• Glad your C3 is still working! Got to get mine from 900 miles away, :)
    edited 2020-10-14 22:20
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    I've also noticed I got a couple ones in the repo that still don't have a video and I need to make a new one for Spintris, so I'll do that, like, next week I guess.
    So by "next week" I apparently meant "this week", because the new batch of videos has been recorded and added to the big post on the first page of this thread:
    Spintris 2020, H.E.R.O, Fantasy Fighter, Clickin' Collapser, Battlez0wned, Boulder Dash, JD Adventure, Loadrunner, Hydra Rally.
    Some of these I just kinda missed the first time 'round, some of these weren't archived before and Spintris obviously has been updated.

I've also slightly optimized my capture settings for improved quality...
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    Yay, one of mine (Battlez0wned) made the cut! Where did you find the source? I'm not having any luck searching the forum. Maybe you can also find the source for Planetary Defense? Otherwise I could just send you a zip.
    edited 2020-10-16 00:34
    IDK where I found it, but you can find the unmodified source ZIP for most of them in the "orignal" folder.

I think I actually have Planetary Defense kicking around (EDIT: I have "PlanetaryDefense_main_002 - Archive [Date 2007.09.06 Time 21.46]", is that the latest version?), but that one needs a mouse, right? I've never had a mouse hooked up, so I can't actually try it.
    002 is indeed the latest and it does need a mouse. Too bad you can't play it :(
  • mpark wrote: »
    002 is indeed the latest and it does need a mouse. Too bad you can't play it :(

Well, I just ordered a SNES mouse off ebay, so that should sort me out. (They're surprisingly inexpensive for being a semi-obscure retro Nintendo thing. I'm only paying 19€ incl. shipping for it + a loose Mario Paint cartridge)
    I don't think there's a Spin driver for these yet, but that shouldn't be a problem to whip up.
  • @mpark Planetary defense has been archived - was a bit more trouble than usual due to a lot of hardcoded Hydra-isms and accessing the mouse driver VAR space from PASM. But ah, it works great now! I really dig those explosions.

pdefense.png
    1076 x 808 - 67K
    Thanks, @Wuerfel_21! Now I feel I've really made it :)

I see that the picture looks a little squished horizontally. I vaguely recall fiddling with a number to make things look squarer and vacillating between a 9 and a 10. If you see a 9 somewhere, you might try changing it to a 10. Or vice versa. It's been a while.

edited 2020-10-24 23:03
    The aspect ratio on the capture is a little squished. It captures a lot of each line horizontally at a non-square pixel aspect ratio, so by squeezing it to 4:3, it's squeezed a little too much. I could probably set it to a weird ratio, but eh, it's fine. Then again, I haven't tried Planetary Defense on an actual TV yet, so IDK if it's actually right.