Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uPORT - A USB serial + watchdog + RTC module - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

uPORT - A USB serial + watchdog + RTC module

2»

Comments

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    edited 2020-10-13 21:03
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Are there any issues with the microUSB sitting higher at the front due to the flange being on the pcb? I have been thinking about this on my pcb when it gets panelised as I intended to have a NPT routed slot to allow for teh flange during assembly..

A flat USB has to be stronger than a skewed/elevated one.

I favour the long-tine USB connectors (as per attached image C319170, 4.2c/100) for very strong mounting.

Most eval boards hang the USB connector over the edge, but the Nuvoton ones have a recess slot ~1mm, as you describe, and I admit it makes the connector less likely to get caught on clothing.
    Nuvoton also take the effort to make their Debug-link a break-out sub-board, so it can be used for any production or field programming - but that's less practical on very compact boards like P2D2.
    291 x 286 - 146K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    @jmg,
    C337972 The flange is only 0.2mm below the base. However since the connector is designed to solder the case to the pcb it may not get soldered down properly. Also the plug would be at an angle but just how much??
    While I have these connectors I don't yet have a pcb to test it out.
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-10-14 02:13
    Is this like the giant heatsink saga we had with the original P2D2? I avoided those serious recommendations and now we do not have any heatsink nor fan, nor any problems. What are we looking at here? The flange or the product? While I don't mind discussing the merits of doing it this way and that, there is no way that this module is ever going to have a problem with mechanical stress ripping the socket from the board. How so? Because the module is barely bigger than the socket and while mounting is an issue on a large fixed board, these modules aren't fixed that way.
    Anyway, here are a couple of shots of the socket. The angle is inconsequential and the pcb just prevents any snagging or shorting. The pcb btw is 1mm thick so that is just about right then.
    2587 x 1308 - 260K
    1581 x 1226 - 119K
    1705 x 1229 - 259K
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    Thanks for the pics Peter.
    I wasn't certain when I ordered my pcbs so I erred on the safe side (even tho I wasn't expecting it to be a problem) and didn't get them panelised. At least this way I could ensure there wasn't going to be a problem. I didn't have time to experiment with KiKit to do my own panelising - it's on my todo list.
  • I think it's worth reviving this thread so let me ask this:

Is this uPORT thing coming to the existence other than just a prototype any time soon or has it been abandoned ?
    There seemed to be some interest in it and I certainly am still intersted.

It could very well serve as a tiny EFM8UB3 development platform too and another one for the RV-3028 (premium) RTC chip at the same time. Neat.