Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GITHUB instructions, tutorial NEED HELP — Parallax Forums

GITHUB instructions, tutorial NEED HELP

OK so simply put, how do I get code from GITHUB and how do I find specific code on GITHUB? Let's say I want an object for a sensor. How do I find that object in GITHUB so that I can use it in my project code? Is there a simple tutorial specifically for finding/downloading code from GITHUB?
I loved the OBEX!

Thanks
Aaron

Comments

• Okay, given the state of the new GitHub OBEX, all of the code in the OBEX has to be pulled at once. You can do this by going to https://github.com/parallaxinc/propeller and clicking the big green button that says 'Code'. You will get a very large zip folder. once you have extracted the contents of this folder, you will need to navigate to the libraries folder, where you can pick community or official. There will be code in both. Once you have opened one of those, you can pick p1 or p2, then open the folder titled 'All' If you use any of the other categories, you will find references to the actual code, which is contained in the 'All' folder. Once you're in the 'All' folder, pick which project you want and copy that folder to wherever you want it. It will contain all the code for that project.

As an alternative, One of the forum members, I believe @DavidZemon, made an interface for the Parallax GitHub OBEX on his website. I can't remember his URL, but he does for sure!
  • DavidZemonDavidZemon Posts: 2,973
    edited 2020-09-22 14:30
    As an alternative, One of the forum members, I believe @DavidZemon, made an interface for the Parallax GitHub OBEX on his website. I can't remember his URL, but he does for sure!

Nah, I can't remember anything. That's why I put it in my signature :lol:

Edit
    It looks like something is broken when trying to download whole folders from the "symlinks" directories. I'll see about getting this fixed "soon". Simple work around is to either download individual files or to find the folder under "All" instead of under the individual categories.
  • In similar repositories, I go to the individual file, have it displayed in raw mode, then right-click and save.
  • Thank you! That worked.
    Aaron
  • @AGCB
    @"Ken Gracey"

You are not the only one who needs a tutorial on how to use github.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! REGARDING P2.
    I followed the instructions from @AwesomeCronk and downloaded the whole file. All and I mean all of the zips are empty. The readme's do not work. This is so frustrating I am pulling what little hair out of what I have left at 66 years old.

Sorry I am not a github expert but would since I have been out of the loop for a while would love to get some help.

Thank you in advance.

Please bring back the obex.

• MTM: Take a quick peek at YouTube. There are any number of good vids that will quickly make you competent in Github.

• It seems that the choices are to learn how to use Github or just write original code yourself.

Github seems to have been created by smart people with no common sense.

Sandy

• ...or just write original code yourself.

+1

• @"Alexander (Sandy) Hapgood" said:
    It seems that the choices are to learn how to use Github or just write original code yourself.

That is the naked truth, right there. I basically hate Git, but its the standard, and, my own feelz notwithstanding, ITS THE STANDARD. So we can either adapt and learn it… or we can go the way of the dinos. The Obex is dead. Long live the Obex. Move along, Citizen…

Github seems to have been created by smart people with no common sense.

Roger that! But its funny: once it makes sense… it does makes sense. It just takes a while to get there.

Speaking as a fellow dinosaur with one foot in the tarpits: we need to either learn Git or take up stamp collecting. The world is moving on. So must we.