Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cool Surplus — Parallax Forums

Cool Surplus

If your looking for cool surplus stuff for your project or robot checkout Norton sales in North Holywood, Ca. Has real deal rocket engines from NASA surplus.

Comments

• And they will sell you one of these engines? Couldn't even buy an Estes engine growing up in San Jose..
  • DigitalBob wrote: »
    If your looking for cool surplus stuff for your project or robot checkout Norton sales in North Holywood, Ca. Has real deal rocket engines from NASA surplus.

Um, DB are you aware of what an Agena-B engine eats? Let's just say it isn't the same fuel that Goddard used for the very first liquid fueled rocket design back in the very dark past of the last century. But I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever in that part of the Hollywood area of LA. (Never mind the fact that there's no such place.)
  • I guess there is no such place as Hollywood, Ca. or a surplus store I've been to and purchased items from. I guess someone should tell digital globe Hollywood doesn't exist.
    I guess there is no such place as Hollywood, Ca. or a surplus store I've been to and purchased items from. I guess someone should tell digital globe Hollywood doesn't exist.

Good one.
    --
    Now what is that robot doing on Publision's lawn with a big bag, and tools?
  • Been there many times -- it's a great source for the film and TV industry.
  • I haven't been there in many years used to deal with Chris. Plenty of cool gadgets.
  • Well one of these days for me. But what the <BLEEP!> happened to two whole messages in this thread?
  • Seems to have happened a couple other times this week.....
  • The message is, about a store with unique surplus parts.
  • I wonder if they could use a plasma barrier, cheap? :)

On a serious note, is C&H Surplus in Pasadena (Colorado Blvd??) still around? I cant count the number of paychecks I spent there as a young lad.
  • C&H only does ebay online stuff
  • Let's not forget Apex electronics in the Burbank area
    Let's not forget Apex electronics in the Burbank area

OMG. I’d forgotten about them. Its been 20 years since I was there. Fond memories of rows full of boxes that actually bowed-over your head and touched!
  • JRoark wrote: »
    DigitalBob wrote: »
    Let's not forget Apex electronics in the Burbank area

OMG. I’d forgotten about them. Its been 20 years since I was there. Fond memories of rows full of boxes that actually bowed-over your head and touched!

Two more on my bottomless bucket list. C&H Sales is mentioned in an excellent book on astronomy called "First Light" it describes what happens from inception through the building of and the eventually the use of any good telescope. Including the big one on Palomar. That mirror the thing uses is a replacement. The first blank failed, and it greets people at the Corning Glass Works Museum.

Incidentally there's a big robot following Publison. It looks like an upset one named after Woody Guthrie's son. (Who I met one year.)
  • When they built the Delorean for the Back to the future movie they used parts from Norton sales
    When they built the Delorean for the Back to the future movie they used parts from Norton sales

Watched a NOVA show last night about the restoration of the original DeLorean car used in the movies. The restoration team members were back at Norton's looking for bits & pieces that people had taken from the car while it was on display at Universal Studios.

Took the team 12 months to complete the job.