Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
sporadically failed boot from SPI flash - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

sporadically failed boot from SPI flash

2»

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,891
    evanh wrote: »
    I'm measuring about 35 µA more on VDD and 980 µA more on VIO with the PLL at 25 MHz vs RCFAST.
    Do you have the total current for these cases?

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    I set up for minimal activity to keep lowest and steady current draw. They were around 25 mA for VDD and 7 mA for VIO.

I use an old test program I'd made for finding the min/max power needs of the prop2. All cogs were set to run the following. I found that a cog cycling WAITX uses less power than a stopped cog:
    program1
    .loop
    		waitx	#500
    		jmp	#.loop

Ok, so it's ~ a 15% increase in current to leave the PLL on.
    That sounds acceptable to me, considering the apparent risk with turning it off...
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    What is the risk of turning the PLL off?
    It'll be a fixed amount for the PLL at any particular frequency. The prop2 total current can be ramped up a lot at that frequency but the PLL current won't change. I kept the total minimal in my testing to make it easiest to pick out the PLL usage.

PS: I've just rerun testing with a little more care not to be using extra power and got refined answer:
    Prop2 revB-globtop (VDD = 1.86 V)
            |     VIO         VDD
    --------|-----------------------
     RCFAST |  6.320 mA   23.350 mA
     25 MHz |  7.287 mA   23.392 mA

Diff   |    967 uA       42 uA

cgracey wrote: »
    Fear of the unknown.

cgracey wrote: »

@jef_vt seems to be having some issue that appear to be related to coming back to PLL on after having PLL off.
    Or, is it all sorted out now?
    He hasn't confirmed. I'm guessing he's conducting a series of long tests with updated firmware. The silence I'm taking as a good sign.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    The only advantage I see in leaving the PLL on is that you can switch to it immediately, without any delays.
    Well, it also seems that the exact non-PLL frequency varies from chip to chip...
    Although, maybe that's not so important...
    Actually, RCFAST seems to be a surprisingly consistent frequency of 25.1 MHz for revB silicon. It changed from revA to revB but Chip did that I think. Has anyone measured revC? It should be at 25.1 MHz, same as revB.

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    Actually, RCFAST seems to be a surprisingly consistent frequency of 25.1 MHz for revB silicon. It changed from revA to revB but Chip did that I think. Has anyone measured revC? It should be at 25.1 MHz, same as revB.
    The changes are more likely related to batch, as within a batch the variation is less, than between batches.

So the question still is, what is revC getting?
  • ozpropdevozpropdev Posts: 2,791
    edited 2020-09-05 00:26
    FYI My RevB RCFAST runs at 26.7MHz

Edit: and my RevB Glob-top RCFAST runs at 25.6MHz
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-09-05 00:32
    If I connect a scope to P32 on my revB EVAL and boot into TAQOZ ROM and type "32 PIN $8000_0000 NCO" I get 12.6MHz which means RCFAST is running at around 25.2MHz.

Typing "RCSLOW" (and losing comms) it reads 10.4kHz so 20.8kHz for RCSLOW.

Note: I could have typed "RCSLOW 200,000 WAITX RCFAST" to return back to the console after about 10 seconds.
    edited 2020-09-05 02:38
    ozpropdev wrote: »
    FYI My RevB RCFAST runs at 26.7MHz
    Edit: and my RevB Glob-top RCFAST runs at 25.6MHz
    Wow, that's a lot different. I thought all reports had been 25.1 MHz.

So, RCFAST is different on every die, but relatively temperature stable. Whereas RCSLOW has large temperature drift.

EDIT: RCSLOW jitter is around 3500 ppm. RCFAST looks to have 250 ppm high frequency jitter but then there is a sub 1 Hz wobble that is larger.

Just measured RCFAST on my two revB boards. The glob-top is almost bang on 25.10 MHz and the finished ES is 25.17 MHz. So not much in it here.

• It's a nice frequency for VGA, but I found it's a bit too unstable for proper syncing on an LCD (maybe an analog monitor could show it).
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    rogloh wrote: »
    It's a nice frequency for VGA, but I found it's a bit too unstable for proper syncing on an LCD (maybe an analog monitor could show it).

RC oscillators have just a bit too much jitter, so the monitors act like oscilloscopes, and the Y axis nicely plots the jitter over each line time...
    Could be useful for debug, but not something you would ship out the door :)
  • For anyone reading the forum that have more or less the same problem like me, I have a solution that works for me.
    I worked around the problem. I just do this instead of reset:
    asm
    coginit #0,#0
    endasm

I don't think the problem is in the clock, as the propeller starts booting and loads the first 1024 bytes from flash.
    I think the data is read wrong (1 bit or so).
    So if rebooting is a problem, don't reboot :smile:
    edited 2020-09-05 13:44
    Very interesting... Hope we can get to the bottom of this...

Does a hard reboot (pressing a reset button or reset via FT231X) have the same 1% failure rate?

Or, is it something about a soft reboot that is the problem?

Also, are you sharing the flash chip pins with a uSD card or anything else?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2020-09-05 14:14
    Just measured RCFAST on my two revB boards. The glob-top is almost bang on 25.10 MHz and the finished ES is 25.17 MHz. So not much in it here.

Are you using a frequency counter or the scope?
    I just went and referenced against the P2D2 RTC and got a much better idea of the clock with a simple loop that times 32768 pulses from the RTC clock output available on P34 through a 100k resistor. I also timed it again back at 300MHz so I guess the 24.9775MHz figure for RCFAST is pretty close.
    TAQOZ# 50 ms RCFAST CLKFREQ? 300 clkfreq! . --- 24977544  ok
    TAQOZ# CLKFREQ? . --- 300004320  ok

edited 2020-09-05 14:27
    Hmm, maybe the same PLL glitch can lockup a programmed reset. I note Eric has reboot() function in fastspin that drops back to RCFAST before performing the reset.

edited 2020-09-05 14:48
    jef_vt wrote: »
      mode_20mhz   = %0000_0001_000000_0000000111_1111_10_00 '20MHZ

Ah, interesting. Looking at Eric's code for clkset(), the above introduces a problem. clkset() in fastspin uses the mode value to decide if the clock source select should be the PLL or not. If the mode is greater than 1 then it selects the PLL. The above, with a 10 MHz crystal, will produce an 80 MHz sysclock under fastspin.
    pri _clkset(mode, freq) | oldmode, xsel
      xsel := mode & 3
      if xsel == 0 and mode > 1
        xsel := 3
      oldmode := __clkmode_var & !3  ' remove low bits, if any
      __clkfreq_var := freq
      __clkmode_var := mode
      mode := mode & !3
      asm
        hubset oldmode	' go to RCFAST using known prior mode
        hubset mode		' setup for new mode, still RCFAST
        waitx ##20_000_000/100 ' wait ~10ms
        or  mode, xsel
        hubset mode         ' activate new mode
      endasm

edited 2020-09-05 15:18
    Oh, now I remember, the mode compare is there as a correction for a missing XSEL. Some early mode examples didn't include XSEL.

Are you using a frequency counter or the scope?
    Huh, I missed your question last night. Answer is my Yokogawa scope. Same I use for jitter measure.