Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ohhh Yea Baby.... You Are The Ultra Librarian :) :) :) — Parallax Forums

Ohhh Yea Baby.... You Are The Ultra Librarian :) :) :)

idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
edited 2020-08-29 11:26 in General Discussion
The Ultra Librarian...... Hmmmmmmmmm..... WOW!!!!!!!

I had to do a Google search, because I have never seen the Ultra Librarian mentioned in the forum before, and it appears that I will be the first to mention her :) She is SUPER FINE!!!!!

Okay, it is not actually a she. I am being a little mischievously misleading :)

The Ultra Librarian is actually "some super sexy software" :)

What can she do? Oh my my.... She can do some wonderful stuff :)

Unbeknownst to me, various IC manufacturers have been creating neutral design files in a "*.bxl" format, for every device they make. The Ultra Librarian takes these neutral "*.bxl" design files and creates scripts for all the popular PCB design software. When you run the script in the PCB software, it creates a new symbol, device, and package, for the component you desire :) WOW WOW WOW

After running the script, simply verify that everything is correct and save it :) Fast and easy!!!

It took me a minute to figure it out, but now I am smiling ear to ear.......

Mmmmmmmmmm....... The Ultra Librarian :)

EDIT: There has been many times that I said that the IC manufacturers should create something that could be imported into an editor. What do you know, they have been doing it a long time and I just did not know it.

Comments

• idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2020-08-29 12:33
    Okay.... I now have devices, symbols, and packages for the DS3231SN, DRV8825, and the RN42-I/RM, which I did not have 1-1/2 hours ago :)

SWEET!!! :)

EDIT: It probably would have taken me a week to a week and a half to get all three of those ready for insertion into a project.
  • Upon further investigation, I can now see that the Ultra Librarian is no magic bullet. It now appears that all of these libraries will need further work. However, it will certainly be a time saver.
  • If your new girl friend is of not help have a look at https://www.snapeda.com.
    There you can download schematic symbols and PCB footprints for many devices and many CAD packages.
  • Sadly, neither programs support Diptrace directly.
  • Sadly, neither programs support Diptrace directly.

I really don't know how to respond to that, except suggest that you get underneath the EAGLE's wings and there you will find security :)

There is another program from many years back which worked quite well with EAGLE also. I will have to remember what it was and get a new copy. I will mention it in this thread when I remember what it was.
  • I remember now, it was GC-Prevue, a Gerber data viewer. It was free way back when, but now they want $60 per year.
  • idbruce wrote: »
    I remember now, it was GC-Prevue, a Gerber data viewer. It was free way back when, but now they want $60 per year.

Here is a good free Gerber Viewer:

https://www.pcbway.com/project/OnlineGerberViewer.html
  • Here is a good free Gerber Viewer:

Thank you, your link is very much appreciated :)
  • lardomlardom Posts: 1,659
    edited 2020-08-29 17:00
    I bookmarked "Ultra Librarian". I designed my first pcb in KiCad. I used the P8x32A-D40 footprint and schematic symbol which are in the KiCad library. The '3D design view' didn't match 100%, notably, the 5Mhz crystal 3D view 'and' footprint did not match. I had to squeeze the crystal's pins together to match the holes in the final pcb. I will adjust that for the next board.
    My first pcb is a general purpose prototyping board. Overall, I'm happy with the results but I want my future boards to be headache free.
    I only included two smd regulators just to see if I could solder them with a standard iron. It was easy.
    596 x 820 - 66K
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2020-08-31 08:21
    If your new girl friend is of not help have a look at https://www.snapeda.com.
    There you can download schematic symbols and PCB footprints for many devices and many CAD packages.

I took me a while to get properly registered with SnapEDA. For some reason, email verification was not being sent.

Anyhow.... I do believe that SnapEDA is better than the Ultra Librarian. The symbols are more appropriately sized and the footprints are much, much cleaner.

Thanks for the heads up.... I was aware of SnapEDA, I just wasn't ready to give them a chance until you mentioned them.