Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
S-Video gush thread — Parallax Forums

S-Video gush thread

Hand aufs Her(t)z...

Have you ever used S-Video on the P1?

No? Well, you've been missing out! The picture is ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE! It's a bit hard to capture on photo (and I haven't got the cabling to get S-video to my capture device...), but I think this pixel-doubled sprite from the JET demo shows it a bit. There's no fuzzy edges and no shimmering on scrolling patterns. It's also somehow even better at hiding horizontal chroma dithering (useful to get half-saturated colors)...

Anyways, wouldn't be a thread without a weird issue to troubleshoot: I've hooked my prop into the secondary, S-Video capable SCART socket. This is nice because the TV will automatically switch between S-Video and normal composite. Oddly enough,a few seconds after I started the non-Svideo version of the JET demo, the video cut out and the TV wouldn't accept any video from the prop at all for a while. This happened twice, but now I can't reproduce it anymore. I suspect some sort of input protection in the TV freaked out? idk.

Comments

• Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,448
    edited 2020-08-25 23:21
    Interesting observation: My TV will not properly switch from composite to S-Video (the other way round is fine), it will just stay in composite mode until I switch channels. Something to keep in mind... (I think restarting the video driver (so the TV has to sync up again) also works?)

(If you're wondering what that looks like: you do get color, but it's the scraps that bleed through, so it's extremely noisy and any edge has a giant rainbow around it...)