Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What's your go-to for sanity during COVID-19 times? — Parallax Forums

What's your go-to for sanity during COVID-19 times?

For me it's bicycling and kayaking. No sailing, though, since it's impossible to socially distance on the boat I share with partners (26' T-bird), and I'm not up to soloing it. For entertainment, I've been reading Hemingway short stories outdoors after dinner, then sinking to old "Perry Mason" or "Beverly Hillbillies" episodes before bedtime. Ah, the golden years of TV! :)

And then there's this with my morning coffee:

https://www.nytimes.com/puzzles/spelling-bee

Curse me now; thank me later! (Or vice-versa.)

-Phil

Comments

• For me its the time I am spending building-out and puttering around in the Nerds Nest. My day job is mostly shuttered now so I have the rare luxury of idle time and I’m really enjoying it. It wont last, but for the moment its nice.

Another big fun is messing with the horses. I’ve got a Suffolk Punch mare that stands 16/3 hands and is 1850 lbs. She has feet the size of a dinner plate. She is very gentle with people. (With other horses... not so much). When she comes thundering up the ground literally moves. Her grand entrances at meal times never get old!

The last sanity-keeper is beekeeping. If you havent tried it, it is highly recommended, and you can easily do this in the city too. Hives are a fascinating system that must be seen to be believed. My hives are mostly wild-caughts so they are quite “hot” (Africanized) so full PPE is a requirement, but this diminishes the fun not one bit. Watching the ebb and flow of the hives connects you in a different way to the surrounding environment. The pollens and nectars being collected change constantly... even differing from sunrise to sunset.

COVID sure hasnt been a picnic, but there are silver linings to most clouds if you take the time to look for them.
  • Heck, I haven't stopped and business keeps coming. Bit rough with hotels being closed because I ended up sleeping on 2" thick foam rubber on a factory floor :lol:

There are reports of a resurgence of C-19 in my part of the UK but I was talking to a managerial type with the National Health Service and he was quite disgusted. He told me that our big hospital has two patients, neither of which have been on a ventilator and our smaller hospital has zero patients.
  • For me? Work. Also watching Perry Mason. Both of them. I think I've gone over nearly every project I've built since moving to this address.

And @JRoark from your description, I believe she can be best described as a beautiful horse.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    I'm still pulling my Corvair out of mothballs. Plenty of surprises after rotting in the garage for 20 years! https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1503541/#Comment_1503541

Oh, and we are trying to adopt this puppy now. Rescue pets are in big demand during Covid, waiting lists and approvals and red tape.

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2020-08-18 03:44
    erco wrote:
    Oh, and we are trying to adopt this puppy now.
    Should be a fun addition to the family!

I'm waffling on adopting another cat. It's been nearly eight years since Browser's passing. On the one hand, having a cat now would be great. But I've got to consider the long-term consequences. A cat could last me until I'm 90, and I have to consider whether I could still properly care for one at that age. Plus, cats get kind of expensive once they're over 15 years old, as I've discovered. Still and all, they make great companions.

-Phil
    Glad to hear you're considering that! Cats are awesome! Our two have finally settled into an understanding relationship of mutual tolerance. Time to upset that deli-Cat balance with a new puppy!
    2448 x 3264 - 2M
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2020-08-17 19:47
    I am so jealous with those that are being forced into idle time.(that aren't presented with the financial strains of course) My family and house could use more of my time right now. My work hasn't stopped at all and when I was working from home 3-4 days a week from March through July, I had fallen into the habit of working extra hours in place of commuting and by the time I wised up, I was back to work 5 days a week. Now that I started doing a better job separating work and life time, the time is getting used to assist with long term planning for the parental units due to aging health issues. I refuse to say "how could it get worse" because 2020 comes up with something every time someone does.

All in all, 2020 has been nothing short of insanity. Last night, after topping 109 in Northern California, we had a tremendous thunderstorm that rocked the town between 12 and 1am and then dumped rain for 15 minutes. Get back up this morning to 81 degrees and stinky humidity. What's next? On that note, this video really hits home with how this year has gone. I am not sure if I had a birthday in April, so I might still be 47.

Explaining the Pandemic to my Past Self by Julie Nolke

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    That vid is right on!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    erco wrote: »
    I'm still pulling my Corvair out of mothballs. Plenty of surprises after rotting in the garage for 20 years! https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/comment/1503541/#Comment_1503541

Oh, and we are trying to adopt this puppy now. Rescue pets are in big demand during Covid, waiting lists and approvals and red tape.

Your twins are growing up so fast. Our annual trip to see our twins is off this year - should have been there now :(
  • erco wrote:
    Oh, and we are trying to adopt this puppy now.[//quote]
    Should be a fun addition to the family!

I'm waffling on adopting another cat. It's been nearly eight years since Browser's passing. On the one hand, having a cat now would be great. But I've got to consider the long-term consequences. A cat could last me until I'm 90, and I have to consider whether I could still properly care for one at that age. Plus, cats get kind of expensive once they're over 15 years old, as I've discovered. Still and all, they make great companions.

-Phil

Browser must have cost a fortune ever day on shrimp! :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-17 22:57
    I was going to put up Browsers Avatar but I can not find it on this new forum.

I like the one in the christmas hat.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2020-08-17 23:42
    PhiPi,
    You could consider adopting an adult cat, then it might not be as much of a worry about care when you are 90. However, there is the issue of dealing with another loss sooner than later.
    My cat Dixie is almost 19, and probably on her last "life". She's deaf, going blind, and sleeps a lot (even for a cat).
  • Not much changed but perhaps a bit more access to the systems for maintenance. Get home, go in the back way, strip and decon. Then spend time with the family, poke at the prop project slowly taking shape with a few additions from sparkfun. Binge watch 24 (how thehell anyone could have watched such a thing in 1 week increments over a year is nuts, I couldn't do it, show me what happens next....NOW!!)
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2020-08-18 19:24
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    PhiPi,
    You could consider adopting an adult cat, then it might not be as much of a worry about care when you are 90. However, there is the issue of dealing with another loss sooner than later.
    My cat Dixie is almost 19, and probably on her last "life". She's deaf, going blind, and sleeps a lot (even for a cat).

Yes you should, @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)" . However, we spent an interesting time with the two who lived with us, (Father and I, in the house we owned for many years previously.), then the younger of the two followed him down south. That big black cat made it for a long way along. Now? Let's just say everything is good.

I'm still as I posted working and working. Oh and including Perry Mason.
  • erco wrote: »
    Glad to hear you're considering that! Cats are awesome! Our two have finally settled into an understanding relationship of mutual tolerance. Time to upset that deli-Cat balance with a new puppy!

Now that's a good cat photo. Which of the two suggested it? Be careful!
  • Now that's a good cat photo. Which of the two suggested it? Be careful!
    My guess, the cat on top is a male, and the one on the floor is a female. The female may be the boss, but the male determines who is on top, a species wide concept.

Ray
  • I ride my bike several times a week on a local bike trail. I work on coding projects. I daydream about building an electric paramotor. I'm retired and I live in an apartment. I could keep it inside and put it in the car.
    631 x 469 - 305K
  • I haven't skipped a single day from work, pandemic or not, despite the fact that the company I work for strongly advises/encourages no more than 20% of the staff to be present in the office.
    I must say I very much like it now. I hate all the usual buzz.

Getting to the initial question, my to-go activity these days is learning the P1 and participating in this very forum. BTW, it's my first ever experience with any forum at all as a member.
    I must say, I enjoy it. I've seen other forums too but those were an absolute no go.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    edited 2020-08-18 20:09
    lardom wrote: »
    I daydream about building an electric paramotor...

Some friends and I did that back in 2003. As far as I can tell, I was the first person to fly an electric paraglider - on the very same morning that they were replicating the Wright brothers' famous flight at Kitty Hawk. My flight lasted a little longer than theirs but not by much. We tried again a couple weeks later with ~50% more power but we broke a prop when it caught some lines.

• For exercise, bicycling, and lap swimming by reservation in a Benicia’s big outdoor community pool. A huge relief. Air temperature here has approached 100F the past few days, and higher inland. Death Valley set a new world record by some accounts, 130F on Sunday. We’ve relocated to a house in Benicia, around the corner from my eldest son and his family. There are lots of chores to do, from raking leaves to hanging pictures to fixing the old wiring. 88 year old house. Push button light switches. Never a dull moment. My son has taken a kayak up to Lake Tahoe for fishing and recreation, and left us to take care of his two dogs and two cats. One of the dogs was so anxious last night, he was barking up a storm. I had to go over at 3:30 am to dish out an armload of chihuahua comfort therapy. One of their cats spends more than half its time at our house. I like that, half a cat, no therapy needed. Still working with electronics of course. Last week an SHT15 batch for prop 1 loggers. Today, PIC12F addon using its comparator to read/count a tachometer wind sensor.
  • For me, cycling in the Tri-Valley, East of "San Francisco's East Bay"... But, smoke from several fires caused by lightening strikes has put a damper on that activity, as well! Lightening (well, mostly the ensuing thunder) has caused my 2 dogs a lot of stress, too, Tracey.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2020-08-18 22:12
    .... One of their cats spends more than half its time at our house. I like that, half a cat, no therapy needed......
    @"Tracy Allen" LOL, love that! Luckily, our latest cat additions were based upon my daughter owning the cat box. I only have to clean it on rare occasions, so I get the benefit of two cats, with minimal effort.

@erco Your cat on top of the chair looks nearly identical to one we had for 21 years, Madison. Best cat in the world, just loved being part of our family and never a single health issue. When we took her in for a check up near her passing, the vet didn't believe she was that old, she guessed about 5, and gave her a spotless bill of health.

• @"Tracy Allen", good god, haven't thought of Benicia in decades. Raced cats (14 & 17' Hobbies) while stationed at Mare Island. Crewed a 17' in the Rionicia race. Do they even still run that one?
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    The first church I ever served at (paid) was St. Paul's in Benicia. Booth our children where born while we live there. I am still in touch with many people there.

I walk, read, and play my banjo ukulele for sanity (with me, that is a relative term).
    2930 x 3044 - 1M
    Yay! We just got the call, we get to adopt that cute puppy a few posts back.

Need robot pooper scooper!
  • @dgately, We’re watching the smoke plumes maps at https://fire.airnow.gov/. Santa Clara valley is really bad, a mess of red for air quality, and the Santa Cruz mountains to the west dotted with satellite fire detections. The Gov declared a state of emergency for fires, here we go again, add that to COVID. Yesterday I biked across the Benicia bridge over to Martinez, but I wouldn’t want to do it today, yellow for smoke.
  • @Whit, I walk down 1st St past St Paul’s often. The big shady courtyard in front is a popular place for people to sit, converse (masked?), and escape the heat. The James Lemios swim complex is just down the hill on J Street.

@Frank, I don’t know about races happening now. I remember there was big excitement around catamarans on San Francisco Bay a few years back, America’s Cup, Oracle vs team NZ. A big come from behind based on some technical magic. My son has a Hobie, but it is a fishing kayak. No racing except for fun!
  • I started a vegetable garden in April and that keeps me more busy as I had planned.

Mike
  • @dgately, We’re watching the smoke plumes maps at https://fire.airnow.gov/. Santa Clara valley is really bad, a mess of red for air quality, and the Santa Cruz mountains to the west dotted with satellite fire detections. The Gov declared a state of emergency for fires, here we go again, add that to COVID. Yesterday I biked across the Benicia bridge over to Martinez, but I wouldn’t want to do it today, yellow for smoke.
    Yes, our AQI in Livermore is 130 today... No bike riding! We can see the reddish glow from the SCU Lightening fires at night, as they are as close as 14-15 miles.

• K2K2 Posts: 691
    Lacto-fermentation. Khang Starr and Chillichump got me started but activities have expanded well beyond hot peppers. It's simple and delicious, and every day affords new adventures.