Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 HDMI — Parallax Forums

P2 HDMI

Has anyone ever run HDMI_Spiral_Demo.spin2 or HDMI_Spiral_Demo_800x480.spin2 (example programs in PNut IDE). Also what is the header pin group that must be used for connection to the HDMI monitor. I know the program loads properly because an led blinks to indicate this. Thanks, James

Comments

• Some TVs and monitors need the +5v signal applied, in order to recognize a signal.

The easy way to to this is solder a 1k resistor from the +5v header pad, across to the through hold pad near the hdmi connector

• Thank you Tubular! Can you tell from the program which header pin group is used to run these programs?
  • The base pin on the group starts with pin 48 on the P2ES board with the HDMI accessory board.

CON hdmi_base = 48 'must be a multiple of 8
  • pilot0315pilot0315 Posts: 834
    edited 2020-08-11 19:25
    @Publison
    I tried both with the new screen 7 inch hdmi. Put the hdmi module on pin 48 group and got nothing.
    Screen powers up blue then grey.
    Using my rev b board not my rev c.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-08-11 20:55
    Both my VGA monitor and HDMI cables are 900 miles away. I can't even get back into PNUT because antivirus has deleted all versions .
    Maybe someone else has a cure?
  • pilot0315 wrote: »
    @Publison
    I tried both with the new screen 7 inch hdmi. Put the hdmi module on pin 48 group and got nothing.
    Screen powers up blue then grey.
    Using my rev b board not my rev c.

Did you try the 5V link Tubular mentioned?

• The board needs 5 volts to power it. There is no power from the HDMI cable . From the cable I was sent with the display,RED=GND, WHITE=+5 VOLTS
  • @Publison
    I did that. The board is getting 5vdc through the red/white. The board powers up with a blue screen. Then goes kind of grey in color. I guess it is waiting for communications from the P2. This is my first attempt at hdmi. I put the hdmi module on the P2 pin that says 48. Tried the goertzel from chip got an error on startup.
    Thanks
    Martin
  • @pilot0315 I have the same screen. Let me see if I can talk to mine (its still in the box... oops) and I’ll post some known good test code later tonight. I think I have an early edition of Rogloh’s or Chip’s driver somewhere.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2020-08-12 01:43
    @jamesacoleman
    Has anyone ever run HDMI_Spiral_Demo.spin2 or HDMI_Spiral_Demo_800x480.spin2 (example programs in PNut IDE)

I just tried it with the latest version of Pnut(U) and it works with the defaults.

_clkfreq = 250_000_000 'system clock frequency must be 250 MHz for HDMI

fast = 1 '0 for small code (7.8 fps), 1 for fast code (36.6 fps)

bitmap = $400 'HDMI bitmap (300 KB)

DAT org

asmclk

coginit #1,##@pgm_hdmi 'launch HDMI
    coginit #0,##@pgm_bmap 'launch bitmap cog

img
    6000 x 8000 - 8M
    736 x 712 - 960K
    @Publison
    I did that. The board is getting 5vdc through the red/white. The board powers up with a blue screen. Then goes kind of grey in color. I guess it is waiting for communications from the P2. This is my first attempt at hdmi. I put the hdmi module on the P2 pin that says 48. Tried the goertzel from chip got an error on startup.
    Thanks
    Martin

Just to be clear, the 5V power supply to the HDMI screen is one thing, whereas the 5V logic signal to enable the monitor output is another.

I've not got that screen, but if it needs the logic "enable" signal then you'd need to connect that to the pad marked 5V by the HDMI connector.
    You could test that quickly by using a jumper wire whilst the code is running, and touch between the 5V HDMI pad and any 5V power source. (At the P2-EVAL ACC HDR perhaps). If that works, you should see the blue screen vanish.

@"Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)" Did you need to have that 5V logic signal connected for the Parallax 7" monitor ?
  • @ VonSzarvas
    Did you need to have that 5V logic signal connected for the Parallax 7" monitor ?

I don't have my Parallax 7" monitor yet. I don't thing it even shipped yet.

I tried the demo on a Asus desktop monitor.

• @ VonSzarvas
    Did you need to have that 5V logic signal connected for the Parallax 7" monitor ?

I got mine delivered yesterday. I have to buy yet another HDMI cable since all mine are 900 miles away.
  • @ Publison
    I got mine delivered yesterday. I have to buy yet another HDMI cable since all mine are 900 miles away.

I haven't received a shipping notice yet. Maybe I'll log into my account the status, although I'm not in a hurry for it.

• @ VonSzarvas

Thanks Bob.

So for @pilot0315 this means we still don't know if that monitor needs the logic enable or not.
    That said.... Ken showed the monitor in a zoom session, and I didn't notice he had a jumper on the hdmi board.- although it still wouldn't hurt for you to try that.

Another thing worth trying... move to another set of pins. Change the BasePin value in the code to 40 or 32, and move the HDMI adapter to the corresponding edge header.
    And also, you could test the P2 hdmi adapter by connecting it to a TV or monitor with HDMI input.
  • One thing to check, what are you using to upload the code? I was having the anti-virus problem with pnut so used the propeller tool alpha. It silently ignores the asmclk line, so unless you replace it with the correct clock setting instructions the clock speed is wrong and monitors dont recognize it as valid.
  • @pilot0315

Confirmed that you don't need the 5V logic signal on that 7" monitor!

Timmoore's suggestion seems like a good one to consider first.
    And also try a different base pin, or indeed a different monitor to verify the P2 output
    And one other thing.... use an external 5V supply with sufficient current rating for the monitor (I think you mentioned doing that, but just in case)
  • @jamesacoleman
    Has anyone ever run HDMI_Spiral_Demo.spin2 or HDMI_Spiral_Demo_800x480.spin2 (example programs in PNut IDE)

I just tried it with the latest version of Pnut(U) and it works with the defaults.

_clkfreq = 250_000_000 'system clock frequency must be 250 MHz for HDMI

fast = 1 '0 for small code (7.8 fps), 1 for fast code (36.6 fps)

bitmap = $400 'HDMI bitmap (300 KB)

DAT org

asmclk

coginit #1,##@pgm_hdmi 'launch HDMI
    coginit #0,##@pgm_bmap 'launch bitmap cog

img

How did you get Pnut "u" to work. My computers keep saying VIRUS?
  • Looks like you got Ver v to work?
  • @Publison
    So far so good. on Ver v. Will try the hdmi display and see what happens.
  • pilot0315pilot0315 Posts: 834
    edited 2020-08-13 16:40
    @VonSzarvas
    @cgracey
    @"Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)"
    Version "v" works. Ver "u" did not.
    @VonSzarvas
    Correct no 5v logic signal.
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    @VonSzarvas
    @cgracey
    @"Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)"
    Version "v" works. Ver "u" did not.
    @VonSzarvas
    Correct no 5v logic signal.

Great news. Good job!
  • I get these errors running @cgracey code.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks Martin
  • The first error is looking for the "birds_16bpp.bmp/" graphics file.

Is it in your folder?

• @"Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)"

I will re download the file and look.
    Thanks

• @"Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)"
    Can't find the download.
    Do you know where it is?
    Thanks
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,682
    pilot0315 wrote: »
    Do you know where it is?
    Thanks

Google will give you the answer in 0.24 seconds, after typing the filename into the search box...

• Has anyone gotten anything to display on the Parallax 7" monitor? I can't run PNut on my Mac so I'd appreciate a .binary file that I can load to test out my display.

Thanks!
    David
  • @pilot0315

PNut/Spin2 Latest Version (v34v - Graphical DEBUGGER)
    cgraceycgracey Posts: 12,885
    2020-02-13 - 02:38:35 edited 2020-08-12 - 18:19:54 in Propeller 2 Flag
    This is the latest version (v34v) of the PNut tool with example files. Documentation will be updated soon to reflect the current version.

ZIP File:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/18taLJYK9vqFW1hS6QuiGNdi0O-3b8uCw/view?usp=sharing

Are you MAC guys having a problem with virus?