Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Old Tech (Tek) — Parallax Forums

Old Tech (Tek)

Just something pretty to look at. (And not a single transistor!)

Comments

• Old Tek scopes certainly were nice. I always liked the 465, granted it is solid state, but a great 100Mhz scope.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    OMG, looks like the first scope I lugged out to a customer site to troubleshoot a tape drive. Is that a model 535?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Used 465 to align disc heads in the 70’s.
  • Video, Disk drive heads..... 465 was great, really liked also the phosphor screen storage image over the other storage scopes. Got really funny looks when I stated a preference for remaining with the 465 rather than going up to the 223X series.
  • My father had four or five of those in his physics lab (he taught at a local university). He retired long ago but they were still in use when the whole campus went under water during Katrina. Whatever's left of them is still there in the sealed and abandoned Old Science Building along with the Hewlett-Packard 2100 minicomputer which was the first computer I was ever allowed to program -- through a Model 33 Teletype.
  • To bad they couldn't have pulled them out. Tek used to powerwash their older scopes when they came in for service. Can still find pictures and descriptions of the process.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2020-07-15 07:22
    What many do not realise is that pcb assembly houses often used dishwashers to wash pcbs after soldering. The trick is to dry them straight away.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    What many do not realise is that pcb assembly houses often used dishwashers to wash pcbs after soldering. The trick is to dry them straight away.

I use water and dish detergent along with a stiff brush to scrub pcb's, motherboards, and electronics chassis. After soaking for a while they are rinsed with warm water, then DI water, and immediately dried with warm air. Works very well and as far as I can tell has never caused any failures.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    OMG, looks like the first scope I lugged out to a customer site to troubleshoot a tape drive. Is that a model 535?

535A, yes. It was part of a group of five 500 series scopes I picked up off craigslist for $60. A 535A, 585A, 575 curve tracer, 547, and a 549 storage scope. They were garage stored, filthy, needed a few tubes, capacitors and alignment. But I've managed to save all of them but the 585A. It was a great learning experience too. The hand made craftsmanship inside them is stunning.