Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Raspberry Pi Zero to P1 setup — Parallax Forums

Raspberry Pi Zero to P1 setup

Hello!
Has anyone attempted to connect a P1, (your choice of configuration), to a Pi Zero, via the Pi Zero's serial connections points? I promptly used the search box, but, ah, it didn't want to provide anything meaningful.

I mean I found a great idea for the P2, but, I do not have one of those platforms here.

Years earlier, there was an example on the Arduino side of things of one individual's efforts to use a full featured Raspberry Pi as an HDMI shield for the Arduino. Eventually I looked into doing the same for a related platform, the original Netduino. Problem? I wasn't sure, and still am not sure, how to translate those sketches, into either C Sharp or Visual Basic on that platform. On the Raspberry Pi, it would have used Python and the PySerial modules, to make that work. (For the Arduino methods, sure, but for the Netduino? Got me.)

But on this side of things, before I start trying out the impossible, I'm asking if anyone did try that out. Right now I have the candidate running in Gadget serial mode.

I'll accept anything from code fragments to full featured Spin and PASM (for the P1) code ideas. Oh and schematic ideas, including those someone did try, but wasn't able to make work.

Comments

• rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 450
    edited 2020-07-05 07:46
    Have a look here: https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/propeller-hat/propeller-ide-getting-started

edit:
    And using "raspberry site:forums.parallax.com" in your favorite search engine still works best for searching
  • rosco_pc wrote: »
    Have a look here: https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/propeller-hat/propeller-ide-getting-started

edit:
    And using "raspberry site:forums.parallax.com" in your favorite search engine still works best for searching

A good idea. Problem is that I was originally thinking of a Pi Zero, (WiFi type or regular.) connected to an appropriate Propeller device, probably via its serial port, but, ah, the Prop would be programmed externally the usual way, and communicate in serial fashion with the Pi Zero.
  • I got a pi zero w connected to a both a propeller-hay and my own design the way it's described there on. use serial for communication (no usb on those boards).

Rayman had a thread for a rpi based GPU for the P2 using fadtspin. It dhould be posdible to use that for P1 aswell
  • rosco_pc wrote: »
    I got a pi zero w connected to a both a propeller-hay and my own design the way it's described there on. use serial for communication (no usb on those boards).

Rayman had a thread for a rpi based GPU for the P2 using fadtspin. It dhould be posdible to use that for P1 aswell

Um, yes I did read that one. I was suitably impressed. In fact it almost made want to buy a P2 prototype for trying it out. Possible? Maybe. I suppose I'll scoot over there and ask there if it could be translated over to the P1. Fastspin? Yes I looked at that as well. As for it being a Pi Zero W? That's what I had in mind oddly enough. Okay, perhaps that's what will happen. I'll need to think about it. But, ah, group everyone else need apply.
  • Just a general FYI in case it's of interest to anyone; Micromite has ported their BASIC interpreter to the Pi and it runs pretty darned quick, considering.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    Yes, I think my P2 code for Raspi Zero should work with P1 as well.
    With FastSpin, the code may work with just minor changes, such as clock settings and such...

May have to slow down SPI on the Pi side, not sure...