OBJ
      ser : "spin/FullDuplexSerial.spin"
    PUB hello
      ser.start(rx_pin, tx_pin, 0, baud)
      repeat
        ser.printf("Hello, world!\n")

hello.spin
    Program size is 3072 bytes
  • Thanks dgately for the Spin equivalent of test1.x. There is one more component missing, PASM. I wonder if there is a PASM professional that could donate a pure PASM version for test1.x. Just to see the code size difference and coding efficiency.

The FlexBasic and FlexC code size was exactly the same, while the Spin version came in at less than half the code size. I wonder if the PASM version would come in even less than the Spin version, in code size.

In FlexGUI, so far, we have three choices for comparison, FlexC, FlexBasic, and Spin. Since test1.bas and test1.c come in at the same size, it seems like FlexBasic is the most desirable, for simplicity to work with, so far. The Spin version, comes in with a smaller code size, but it is a little bit more involved, code wise.

Ray
  • The FlaxBasic and FlexC versions are using the full printf functionality (even if you use simpletools.h print()). The spin one is not.

Also, dgately, is your spin one compiled with FlexGui (fastspin) or with proptool/pnut?

Both of these will factor in to the final file size. Especially if the spin size is from compiling with proptool/pnut since those produce bytecode and FlexGui produces PASM.
  • FWIW, In the FlexBASIC example you can save ~150 bytes by enabling full optimization. Not huge, but on the P1 every byte counts.
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Also, dgately, is your spin one compiled with FlexGui (fastspin) or with proptool/pnut?

Yes, compiled with FlexGui (Fastspin)!

• I just took a look at dgately hello.spin program, and I did not notice, at first look, the printf(). When did that get added.

Also I noticed in the /spin folder, std_text_routines.spinh, but I am not seeing how this file gets added to hello.spin. I do not see it being called in the OBJ.

I also just recompiled hello.spin with full optimization, and got a 188 byte reduction, in code size.

If some of the existing Spin device drivers get cleaned up, as they are added to FlexGUI, I might have to reconsider Spin.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    Also I noticed in the /spin folder, std_text_routines.spinh, but I am not seeing how this file gets added to hello.spin. I do not see it being called in the OBJ.
    It's #include'd inside spin/FullDuplexSerial.spin.

• I started to play around with flexBasic, and I am having a lot of trouble to get this to work.

Thanks
    Ray

dim ser as class using "FullDuplexSerial.spin"

open ser(0, 1, 0, 115200) as #2

print #2, "hello, world"

"E:/flexgui/bin/fastspin" -D_BAUD=115200 -l -O2 -I "E:/flexgui/include" "E:/programs/flexc/basic/test1.bas"
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'FastSpin' (c) 2011-2020 Total Spectrum Software Inc.
    Version 4.2.1 Compiled on: Jun 7 2020
    test1.bas
    |-FullDuplexSerial.spin
    E:/programs/flexc/basic/test1.bas:5: error: Object called is not a function
    child process exited abnormally
    Finished at Thu Jun 11 14:17:07 2020
    I started to play around with flexBasic, and I am having a lot of trouble to get this to work.

Thanks
    Ray

open ser(0, 1, 0, 115200) as #2

print #2, "hello, world"

"E:/flexgui/bin/fastspin" -D_BAUD=115200 -l -O2 -I "E:/flexgui/include" "E:/programs/flexc/basic/test1.bas"
    Propeller Spin/PASM Compiler 'FastSpin' (c) 2011-2020 Total Spectrum Software Inc.
    test1.bas
    |-FullDuplexSerial.spin
    E:/programs/flexc/basic/test1.bas:5: error: Object called is not a function
    Finished at Thu Jun 11 14:17:07 2020
    I've never used FlexBASIC but my guess is that you need to do this:
    ser.open(0, 1, 0, 115200) as #2

• That change did not do it.

Ray
    test1.bas
    |-FullDuplexSerial.spin
    E:/programs/flexc/basic/test1.bas:5: error: syntax error, unexpected open, expecting identifier or program
    Finished at Thu Jun 11 14:35:07 2020
  • You have to set up the serial device explicitly (OPEN doesn't know what methods are needed for that, it's designed to work with any objects not just FullDuplexSerial) and then use SendRecvDevice() to pass pointers to methods for transmit, receive, and close:
    ser.start(31, 30, 0, 115_200)
    open SendRecvDevice(@ser.tx, @ser.rx, @ser.stop) as #2

If your particular serial driver doesn't have a "stop" or "close" method you can pass "nil" in its place.
    There's a brief discussion of this in the BASIC manual under OPEN, and examples in LED_Matrix/bdemo.bas and vga/basdemo.bas (although these are both for P2, the principles are the same for P1).
  • Thanks Eric, I thought this was going to be easy to do, but it looks like a little more complicated than I would like. When I use FreeBasic open com, it seemed to be very straight forward and easy.

Now I will try FlexC, just to see if it gets any easier.

Ray
  • Having two lines instead of one isn't really *that* complicated. In any case you don't have to use the "open" if you don't want to, you can always just treat the object the same way you do in Spin (use ser.start, ser.tx, etc. directly). You only need "open as #2" if you want to use BASIC commands like "print #2".
  • This works, now is there a more functional(more commands) serial program that has been made available for FlexBasic. I think there was an ExtendedFullDuplexSerial.spin, but that only added a few more commands.

rem open ser(0, 1, 0, 115200) as #2

rem print #2, "hello, world"
    ser.start(0, 1, 0, 115200)

ser.tx(128)
    pausems 150
    ser.tx(131)
    pausems 3000
    ser.tx(128)

• This program seems to work, except, it is having a problem in the terminal screen. Since this is a user IO program, when I type in a command, a lot of times the character that gets presented, on the screen, is garbled. Not sure if is a problem with 'input' command or the terminal program itself. This is occurring quite often.

Ray
    ' test1.bas
    ' June 11, 2020
    '
    dim ser as class using "efds.spin"

ser.start(0, 1, 0, 115200)

dim inBuff as string

print "Type 'help' for Sytem Menu."

do
    	print "> ";
    	input inBuff
    	if inBuff = "passive" then
    		crPassive
    	else if inBuff = "safe" then
    		crSafe
    	else if  inBuff = "help" then
    		crMenu
    	else if inBuff = "crquit" then
    		crQuit
    	else
    		print "Invalid Command!"
    	end if	
    loop

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
    sub crPassive
    	ser.tx(128)
    end sub

sub crSafe
    	ser.tx(131)
    end sub

sub crQuit
    	crPassive
    	ser.tx(173)
    end sub

sub crMenu
    	print "         System Menu"
    	print "help - Show this menu."
    	print "safe - CR2 safe mode."
    	print "passive - CR2 passive mode."
    end sub

• This program also gets garbled characters in the terminal screen, when keying in. I thought maybe it was just the FlexBasic program, but it is also occurring in FlexC program.

Ray
    #include "simpletools.h"

struct __using("efds.spin") fds;

unsigned highbyte, lowbyte, cr_vval, crVoltage;

void crVolts();

void crMenu();

void main()
    {
    	print("Type 'help' for systewm menu.\n");
    	fds.start(0, 1, 0, 115200);

//fds.tx(128);
    	//usleep(150);
    	//fds.tx(131);
    	//sleep(2);
    	//fds.tx(128);
    	char inBuff[40];
    	while(1)
    	{
    		print("> ");
    		getStr(inBuff,40);
    		if(!strcmp(inBuff,"help")) crMenu();
    		else if(!strcmp(inBuff,"crvolts")) crVolts();
    		else
    		{
    			print("Invalid Command!\n");
    		}
    	}
    }

crVolts()
    {
    	fds.tx(128);
    	fds.tx(142);
    	fds.tx(22);
    	highbyte = fds.rx();
    	lowbyte = fds.rx();
    	cr_vval = (highbyte << 8) + lowbyte;
    	crVoltage = (cr_vval / 1000);
    	print("%u Volts\n",crVoltage);
    }

void crMenu()
    {
    	print("         System Menu\n");
    	print("help - Show the System Menu.\n");
    	print("crvolts - CR2 battery voltage.\n");
    }

• Yes, it looks like there's a bug in the P1 _rx function. I'll look into it.
  • I was trying to implement reboot() in FlexC:
    #define reboot() __builtin_propeller_clkset(0x80)
    and I get the error below. This particular #define works in SimpleIDE, but for some reason it does not want to work in FlexC.

Ray
    "E:/flexgui/bin/fastspin" -D_BAUD=115200 -l -O2 -I "E:/flexgui/include" "E:/programs/flexc/test1n/test1n.c"
    test1n.c
    |-efds.spin
    |-|-FullDuplexSerial.spin
    getStr.c
    fmt.c
    safe_gets.c
    posixio.c
    bufio.c
    errno.c
    strcmp.c
    E:/programs/flexc/test1n/test1n.c:70: error: unknown identifier __builtin_propeller_clkset used in function call
    E:/programs/flexc/test1n/test1n.c:70: error: Unknown symbol __builtin_propeller_clkset
    Finished at Mon Jun 15 08:45:38 2020
  • Ray: the reboot command in fastspin is "_reboot()". The __builtin_propeller_clkset() function is a PropGCC only thing (no other C compilers have it).
  • I must be missing something. In your documentation, it reads that _reboot() is for the P2, does not mention anything about the P1.

Ray
    void pReboot()
    {
    	_reboot();
    }

"E:/flexgui/bin/fastspin" -D_BAUD=115200 -l -O2 -I "E:/flexgui/include" "E:/programs/flexc/test1n/test1n.c"
    test1n.c
    |-efds.spin
    getStr.c
    fmt.c
    safe_gets.c
    posixio.c
    bufio.c
    errno.c
    strcmp.c
    _gc_:39: error: Undefined symbol clkset
    Finished at Tue Jun 16 11:19:58 2020
  • Darn, looks like there's a bug in the fastspin P1 library code. For now you'll have to use inline assembly:
    void myreboot()
    {
        int val = 0x80;
        __asm {
            clkset val
        }
    }

• @Rsadeika : Ray, I've uploaded a beta version of flexgui/fastspin 4.2.2 to my Patreon page. It's got _reboot() fixed and handles serial input better on the P1.
  • I did a quick test of the new FlexC, and it looks like, so far, it is working as expected, it reboots and no garbled characters, thanks.

It was quite a while back, when I asked you about the possibility of implementing CMM mode, and you said maybe down the road at some point you may do it. Have you come down the road far enough that you will consider implementing CMM mode?

I am starting to give up on SimpleIDE, it would be nice if FlecC started to work more like SimpleIDE, and CMM was one of the reasons I was hanging on.

Ray
  • Hi,
    I try to compile a C program for P1 with 4.2.3 and get several:
    error: fit 496 failed: pc is xxx (513 or 658)

I tried all the compiler options. Can you totally switch off the fcache?

Does this happen when the program is too large?
    Many thanks!

• RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,822
    edited 2020-06-28 19:32
    I am experimenting with FlexBASIC and telnet. The program below compiles fine and I get the '> ' on the Tera Term terminal screen. When I type in 'test' I am not getting the "You typed test" on the Tera Term terminal screen. Is input waiting for some kind of termination char other than CR or LF?

With the new FlexGUI I pinned the application to the task bar, and it shows a Geany icon, is that your new icon or did Windows do that.

Ray
    ' cr2net.bas
    '
    ' June 28, 2020

dim telnet as class using "efds.spin"

telnet.start(31, 30, 0, 115200)

open SendRecvDevice(@telnet.tx, @telnet.rx, @telnet.stop) as #2

dim inBuff as string

telnet.str("Here we are.")
    telnet.tx(10)

do
    print #2, "> ";
    	input inBuff
    	if inBuff = "test" then
    		print #2,"You typed test"
    	end if	
    loop

• Try this:

dim inBuff$ as string         ' note:  inBuff($)   

telnet.tx(10)

do
       input "> ", inBuff$
       if inBuff$ = "test" then
          print "You typed test"
       end if	
    loop

( Entering terminal mode.  Press Ctrl-] to exit. )
    > test
    You typed test
    > 

dgately
  • Hi,

Many thanks!

Well, it's a problem when the program is too "complicated" (has many local variables and/or constants that must be stored in COG memory), which usually means it's too large. You can switch off fcache with "--fcache=0", that might help.

Having many strings in a program is often one of the problems associated with this; on P1 all large constants (including string addresses) are stored in COG memory. This only affects literal strings, not strings kept in variables. I think I know how I might be able to change this using a pair of MOVD/MOVS instructions to load the address instead of keeping it in registers, but I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Regards,
    Eric
    I am experimenting with FlexBASIC and telnet. The program below compiles fine and I get the '> ' on the Tera Term terminal screen. When I type in 'test' I am not getting the "You typed test" on the Tera Term terminal screen. Is input waiting for some kind of termination char other than CR or LF?

In your code you've got "input inBuff" rather than "input #2 inBuff". Did you want to read from the serial (input) or the telnet (input #2)? I'm guessing probably the latter.
    With the new FlexGUI I pinned the application to the task bar, and it shows a Geany icon, is that your new icon or did Windows do that.
    Huh, that's weird, For me it's a feather icon (for the Tcl interpreter). Not sure why Windows would do that to you!

You asked earlier about CMM. I did try to create a compressed mode a while ago, but I couldn't get it to work properly and I just haven't had time to get back to it.

Regards,
    Eric
  • ersmith wrote: »
    Hi,

Many thanks!

Well, it's a problem when the program is too "complicated" (has many local variables and/or constants that must be stored in COG memory), which usually means it's too large. You can switch off fcache with "--fcache=0", that might help.

Having many strings in a program is often one of the problems associated with this; on P1 all large constants (including string addresses) are stored in COG memory. This only affects literal strings, not strings kept in variables. I think I know how I might be able to change this using a pair of MOVD/MOVS instructions to load the address instead of keeping it in registers, but I haven't had a chance to try this yet.

Regards,
    Eric

- Thank you for the informations. - In this case the problem is the number of constants in cog ram. I had been just curious, if I could compile a program out of the box. - Well, yes, CMM and other workarounds would be nice.

What I find really good, is the checkbox to use a different editor. It is not necessary to reinvent these things. I use Notepad++ or Geany.

Regards Christof
  • In your code you've got "input inBuff" rather than "input #2 inBuff".
    I want to capture input from the telnet terminal. When I compile, I get an error for "input #2 inBuff".

I want to expand this program to work with my robot project. I want to be able to connect to the robot via WiFi at any time. Since FlexGUI does not have an accessible stand alone terminal, the telnet connection is the next best option, I think.

Ray

' cr2net.bas
    '
    ' June 28, 2020

dim inBuff as string

telnet.tx(10)

do
    	print #2, "> ";
    	input #2 inBuff
    	if inBuff = "test" then
    		print #2, "You typed test"
    	else
    		print #2, "Invalid Command!"
    	end if	
    loop

"D:/flexgui/bin/fastspin" -D_BAUD=115200 -l -O2 -I "D:/flexgui/include" "D:/programs/flexgui/flexbasic/cr2net/cr2net.bas"
    Version 4.2.3 Compiled on: Jun 27 2020
    cr2net.bas
    |-efds.spin
    D:/programs/flexgui/flexbasic/cr2net/cr2net.bas:18: error: syntax error, unexpected '#'
    Finished at Mon Jun 29 07:28:32 2020