Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
7,000 P2 Rev. C Chips delivered to Parallax! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

7,000 P2 Rev. C Chips delivered to Parallax!

2»

Comments

• WX Ready. That's new.
  • Rayman wrote: »
    The 5V pin which was next to P30 has been removed, and that pin is not unconnected.

@VonSzarvas You mean "NOW unconnected", right?

Indeed! Thanks for spotting that typo.
  • What does "WX ready" really mean? Will there be an accessory board with a WX module for plug and play, or you try to fit an existing WX SIP module to work.

For my robot purposes, how would you power the Rev C board with battery power.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    What does "WX ready" really mean? Will there be an accessory board with a WX module for plug and play, or you try to fit an existing WX SIP module to work.

For my robot purposes, how would you power the Rev C board with battery power.

Ray

Both options are supported by the Rev C eval board. No details yet about the new accessory board list; watch this space!

Rev C could be powered using one of those common mobile phone style Li-Ion battery booster packs (sometimes called power bank) with a microUSB connector.
  • @VonSzarvas The Rev B board had four holes for a fan/enclosure mount but I don't see those on the pic you posted. Are those holes being retained in the Rev C boards, and if not, could I shamelessly beg for their inclusion?
  • The fan mounting holes remain in the same locations as before. The image was grabbed from a gerber file that didn't include holes.

Phew!
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »
    The fan mounting holes remain in the same locations as before. The image was grabbed from a gerber file that didn't include holes.

Phew!
    Awesome. Thank you!

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2020-06-10 02:16
    I've used the fan holes to mount a 3d printed base to my P2EVAL.

https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170983/p2-eval-3d-printed-base
  • How would I set things up so that only the Aux USB connector powers the board? I realize it's too late for a design change as the boards are already ordered.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    whicker wrote: »
    How would I set things up so that only the Aux USB connector powers the board? I realize it's too late for a design change as the boards are already ordered.
    Just plug a USB power/charger cable in and it'll go. That socket has no smarts, it's power only and it overrides the PC-USB for powering the board.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,272
    edited 2020-06-10 06:35
    How would I set things up so that only the Aux USB connector powers the board? I realize it's too late for a design change as the boards are already ordered.

You could adjust the FTDI settings to do that. (Disable PC USB as a power source).

Remind me when the boards arrive in store and I'd be happy to create instructions.

Edit: .... or follow Evan's advice :)
  • VonSzarvas wrote: »

You could adjust the FTDI settings to do that. (Disable PC USB as a power source).

Remind me when the boards arrive in store and I'd be happy to create instructions.

Thank you.
    I don't want to pull 2 cables out every time I want to plug in a header board or make a wiring change. With one dedicated power source I can find some kind of power switch to put in series.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2020-06-10 07:03
    ... every time I want to plug in a header board or make a wiring change.
    Ah, yes, I got myself a wall powered USB hub for this (Orico A3H4). It has its own power button that shuts off power to all downstream devices. So I generally use the PC-USB for both power and data now, unless I'm testing extremes.

• whicker wrote: »
    VonSzarvas wrote: »

Thank you.
    I don't want to pull 2 cables out every time I want to plug in a header board or make a wiring change. With one dedicated power source I can find some kind of power switch to put in series.

There's another option that you might prefer.... you could power the board from the 2-pin AUX PWR header, that's just above the AUX-USB socket. It's unpopulated, so solder in whatever header you want, then connect that to a bench psu (or whatever 5V power source), and include an inline switch if desired. The 2pin header is directly in parallel with the AUX-USB power and ground pins.

With the previously mentioned FTDI setting edit, you will disable the PC-USB as power source (ie. that socket will only work for data/programming), so you can then toggle power to the entire board by the single connection at either the 2-pin AUX power or AUX-USB socket (whichever you choose to use).

Now I'm in the office I can see the FTDI setting (change with FT_PROG):

CBUS3 = "PWREN#" - Enable power from PC-USB (default setting)
    CBUS3 = "TriState" - Disable power from PC-USB power (ie. Serial comms only via PC USB socket)