OBEX on GitHub -- How do I get a single object or file?

The title should be self explanatory. How do I get a single object, or even a single file from the OBEX on GitHub? It appears that I have to clone or download the entire thing just to get one file.

Comments

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,380
    edited 2020-06-03 - 17:43:56
    To download a single file, navigate to the file, click the "Raw" button, and save the resulting page with Ctrl-S.

Github doesn't seem to have any way of downloading a single directory through the web interface. There's some trick involving accessing the repository through SVN, but if you're going to use a terminal, you might as well just use git and clone the whole thing.

There seem to be third-party online services that will download single directories from Github for you.

I really hope Parallax or somebody else makes a HTML frontend for the new git OBEX soon. Git is great, but having one centralized repository stifles development because you can't just freely edit your own objects anymore; you have to wait to get your pull request approved. But splitting it into a separate repository for each object would be way too cluttered unless somebody wrote a custom web frontend to do it that could also act like the old OBEX for people who don't want to be bothered with git.
  • @Electrodude , thanks. The Raw button followed by Ctrl-S works great.