Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
HyperRam & HyperFlash as VGA screen buffer (Now in Spin2!) — Parallax Forums

HyperRam & HyperFlash as VGA screen buffer (Now in Spin2!)

RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
edited 2020-08-24 17:35 in Propeller 2
Use HyperRam or HyperFlash as a screen buffer was previously demonstrated in pure assembly:
https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/169926/

Now, I've converted the code to Spin2 (although still mostly assembly).
It also works with both PNut and FastSpin.

This loads up an embedded bmp file into HyperRam and then reads into a line buffer, coordinated with VGA driver.

Update: The HyperVGA_640_x_480_8bpp_3f.spin2 example can load 2 images from uSD and then flip between them on display.
Update2: The HyperVGA_8bpp_3i.spin2 example can flip back and forth between two images on uSD, up to 1080p.
Update3: The HyperVGA_8bpp_4a.spin2 is much like the above with a fixed timeout issue in FSRW so that several seconds can elapse between images. There's about a 1 second of white between images, while loading.
Update4: 720p@24Hz,16bpp works from Hyperflash onto TV over native HDMI using "Digital Video Out" accessory on P2 Eval board.
But, found bugs in previous codes where addresses were incorrectly calculated...
Update5: Attaching code (HyperHDMI_16bpp_4e.spin2) for digital video out at 720p@24Hz. This also has the correct shift for hyperram address in read and write sections.
Update6: Fixed a bug in the above and added WVGA mode that should work on most monitors and TVs. New version is in HyperHDMI_16bpp_4e.zip.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2020-05-19 19:05
    I’ll try to get the other resolutions, up to 1080p updated too. And the flash version too.
    For higher resolutions, it would be convenient to load the images from uSD card...
    Here is a version of the files in top post, modified to load image from uSD instead.
    Works with both PNut and FastSpin
    Here's a version that loads up 2 images from uSD into HyperRam and then flips between them on VGA display.
    Some of the image parameters and row settings are now abstracted to make it easier to extend to larger images.
    edited 2020-05-24 19:41
    I got 720p@8bpp working this morning and then just tried 1080p again after seeing @rogloh 's driver thread.
    It works. I think before it was violating some spec. But, looks good.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    edited 2020-05-25 13:43
    Rayman,
    Here's the revamped sdspi low level code with optimised sysclock/8 performance. Note it relies on the latest master build of Fastspin for this to compile correctly: Fastspin Version 4.1.12-beta-05342967 from https://github.com/totalspectrum/spin2cpp

Pnut compiles it okay but gets SD errors. Presumption is Pnut handles inlined assembly differently so timing is out.

EDIT: File updated with extra comments
    @evanh , If the in-line assembly now works in lut, I guess I’d use the FIFO for wfbyte in the loop. Is that what you did?
    edited 2020-05-25 13:09
    WFLONG ... and more. There's a run up needed to significantly overlap the clock outs to receiving the serial data back. The nice outcome is that at sysclock/8 there is still a sweet spot for the compensation (#14) that doesn't need any adjustment for frequency bands.

Once I get the streamer into action then it'll need an adjustable compensation based on sysclock. Or maybe based more on the SPI clock.

edited 2020-05-25 18:50
    Here's a test program that switches back and forth between two images on SD card.
    Can be 480p, 720p or 1080p mode.

Need to try with faster block reads next.
    Also, there is something strange going on with the "bashed" version of sdspi that makes me need to remount between images. Something to do with the timeout I think... Need to investigate that...
    Update: Fixed some timeout issues with FSRW in the newly attached.
    Looks like can do a slideshow in 1080p at 8bpp with 1 second of blackness when advancing the slide.
    I.e, it takes 1 second to load a new image from uSD into HyperRam.

Not horrible, but hopefully eMMC will improve things...
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Rayman wrote: »
    Looks like can do a slideshow in 1080p at 8bpp with 1 second of blackness when advancing the slide.
    I.e, it takes 1 second to load a new image from uSD into HyperRam.

Not horrible, but hopefully eMMC will improve things...

Does that mean you can load one HyperRam display pane, whilst viewing another, to change the 1 sec black, to 1 sec update ?
    I changed from black to white while reloading HyperRam. Think it's better.
    Here's what it looks like in 1080p:

I wish I could load while viewing. Might have that kind of bandwidth in 720p, but probably not at 1080p.
  • Is the load/view issue just a palette update one? Just double buffer your next image in HyperRAM and sync the palette flip when you display the next screen. That's what I do to make it seamless.
  • Actually it's probably more likely you can't read while writing HyperRAM. Pretty soon you can use my driver for fixing that. Spin2 code is all coded now, just testing.
    edited 2020-05-26 00:50
    I think I’ll wait for your driver before I try that...

Think that needs sysclock/1 speed
  • Yeah 1080p60 8bpp would need sysclk/1 reads on a P2 operating at 297MHz. IIRC I had some success there but it's right on the limit of what can be achieved with overclocking it.
    I guess if I installed my other HyperRam thing, I could jump to the next slide instantly...
  • Just throw more resources at the problem. :smile: Yep that works. Ping-ping two HyperRAM chips on different buses.
    I'm hoping eMMC will drop that 1s by a factor of 8 or more. Would be a lot more acceptable then...
  • Any luck accessing your eMMC device registers yet or otherwise getting a response from it?
    Not yet, wanted to play with this first...
    I saw some interesting things in your hyperram thread btw.
    This version flips between two 1080p images (you need to copy the bmp files to uSD card).
    There's about 1 second of white screen between images, while it loads from uSD to HyperRam.

This version has the fixed FSRW, where the timeout issues have been addressed.
    750 ms for me. :P
    I found a bug in the 4a version above that prevented it from working when hyperram basepin moved from 32 to 0.
    All better in this one.
    Just tested the 1080p slideshow with the eMMC version of FSRW swapped in place of the uSD version.
    It works and load time reduce from ~1000 ms to ~250 ms.

I think it could be reduced even further using only multiblock reads.
    This uses a combination of single block reads (currently very slow in my eMMC driver) and mult-block reads.

Still it looks acceptably fast now to actually be used in real life:
    Think I just found a major, but not so important sometimes, bug in my HyperRam (and probably HyperFlash) codes...

Found this out while doing the HDMI @ 720p from HyperRam from this thread: http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171708/

See below how this shift should be 6 when was 7.
    shl      HyperAddress,#6'7 '1024 byte row address with A10 in MSBit for lowest byte

This means I was skipping over rows in my past implementations. Not a big deal, unless you actually need every row...

The really strange part is that my VGA 1080p @60Hz code is broken with this fix. It shows bad reads due to hyperram memory degradation.
    It seems as though there's some magic in skipping memory rows when doing long reads... Maybe need to investigate this some more...
  • I've had issues with HyperRAM if you regularly exceed the 4uS CS timing and cross internal boundaries. This goes away if you meet the spec.
    edited 2020-06-15 02:57
    Yes, for the 720p @24Hz, 16bpp code, I was not able to do a long read without having memory corruption. Had to break the long read into three shorter pieces.
    But, for some reason, I have yet to understand, It was OK doing 1080p @ 60Hz, 8bpp using a two row read when the next read skipped two rows... Very strange... Must be something to do with the internal refresh mechanism...
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2020-06-15 04:09
    Perhaps your routines and Hyper's internal self-refresh mechanism are now fighting about who access a row first, like two dogs, trying to bite each other's tail. Much movement, but little progress in the right direction.

One possible way to solve it is using top-down addressing to access the video buffers.

That way, both mechanisms could eventually cross their operations at any region within memory space, but will not remain overlapping each other for long.

Sure, after any crossing event, they'll be stepping over the past footprints of other's recently actions, but this is unnavoidable, unless you are using the newer devices, that enable segregating some areas from receiving self-refresh mechanism attention, because they'll indeed be refreshed by sequentially accessed buffers, like.....video ones.

Since we couldn't exert control over self-refresh counter incrementing/decrementing, then there is the option to control the memory buffer blocks addressing scheme.

P.S. I'd forgot to mention that the above scheme will also make better use of variable-latency-enabled devices, when they become available.
    edited 2020-06-15 07:38
    Try slowing the sysclock down. Let the display refresh rate drop off, it should handle a decent change. The HR burst durations will be longer but this might make the new addressing work - as a test for the cause of the corruption. It may not be a DRAM refresh issue.
    Reading from the array backwards is an interesting idea..