Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Discussion and Questions about a P2 Operating System — Parallax Forums

Discussion and Questions about a P2 Operating System

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
edited 2020-05-18 01:59 in Propeller 2
I'm getting close to having my P1 OS running on P2 :)

I have the SD and serial/monitor routines working, and they can remain resident.
I have Kye's FAT32 driver (including my P1 OS additions) now compiling and the basics running :)
I have a few of my OS commands (DIR, LS, etc) running on P2 (currently compiled in, not as a separate exe)

Now is the time to discuss...

* How binary files are formatted for loading and running under the OS
* How spin2 files can be loaded and run
* How the SPIN2 Interpreter can remain resident while running, plus
* Loading and running additional spin2 cogs

Chip,
First up, I need to know the mechanics of how I can use the spin2 interpreter when loading a new spin2 compiled file from SD.
I have the locating and loading from SD covered.

Where is the interpreter in hub?
Is the interpreter always in this location?
I presume the hubexec portion is re-entrant from multiple cogs?
How do I compile a spin2 program without the compiler?
How do I pick out the spin2 section from this binary file?
How do I launch a new cog with a new spin2 binary file?

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Eric,
    How can I use fastspin to take a spin2 file and generate a pasm file that I can load/run from SD?

eg I have small spin/spin2 files such as the DIR and LS commands.
    These would possibly all reside within a cog.
    Can I compile these individual files and what will it produce?

I guess I should take the DIR file and separate out the part I want to be able to load/run from a cog???
  • Cluso99 wrote: »
    Eric,
    How can I use fastspin to take a spin2 file and generate a pasm file that I can load/run from SD?

I guess I should take the DIR file and separate out the part I want to be able to load/run from a cog???

fastspin lets you specify the HUB address you want things compiled for, and I've used it to load/run programs from a file system (the host PC, but SD would work exactly the same). I've posted an example of how to do this twice before, but searching in the forums is a pain and it's not surprising you didn't find it. Perhaps third time's a charm :) I've attached it here.
    ersmith wrote: »
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Eric,

fastspin lets you specify the HUB address you want things compiled for, and I've used it to load/run programs from a file system (the host PC, but SD would work exactly the same). I've posted an example of how to do this twice before, but searching in the forums is a pain and it's not surprising you didn't find it. Perhaps third time's a charm :) I've attached it here.

Thanks Eric. Now that I have the SD access nailed I can give it a proper test. :)
    edited 2020-05-21 07:07
    Eric,
    I've given this a try but I have a problem.
    "blink" works fine.

However, when I issue the "ls" command it returns "fs_init returned -1" error.

Does flexgui use loadp2?

I am running flexgui from C:\flexgui4.19\flexgui.exe and main, ls and blink are in this directory too. I have renamed main and compiled it, and I've recompiled ls with the additional line added.

Once I get this running I can see how to shoehorn the SD and FAT32 driver into it.
    Does flexgui use loadp2?
    Yes.
    I am running flexgui from C:\flexgui4.19\flexgui.exe and main, ls and blink are in this directory too. I have renamed main and compiled it, and I've recompiled ls with the additional line added.
    What do you mean by "the additional line added"? The most recent code I posted (in this thread) should compile and work as-is. I also provided batch files "make.bat" and "run.bat" to show how to rebuild and how to run (although you can also choose to load main.binary with flexgui instead).
    edited 2020-05-21 23:25
    You said there was a bug in Les LS that prevented it running a second time. I inserted that line but this isn’t the problem.
    I ran flexgui to compile and run the main program (I renamed it tho). It works when I enter blink ie it flashes the led and then returns for a new command. But when I try ls it fails with the error above.
    I thought this should work??? Or am I not understanding this correctly.
    You said there was a bug in Les that prevented it running a second time. I inserted that line but this isn’t the problem.
    Not in the code that I posted in this thread. So I suggest you try that. For me, it works fine and I can run ls as many times as I want, from flexgui or from loadp2 directly.

In any case if you can run programs from the PC then your 9p connection is working, so it's probably not worth spending a lot of time debugging any one specific example. I'd suggest instead looking at the programs in the flexgui\samples\fileserver directory to see how to read and write data from the PC.
    Thanks Eric :)
    I will try that out today if I get a chance.
    Btw dam autocorrect!
    Btw dam autocorrect!
    LOL ;)

Eric,
    The penny just dropped. Of course it's working since it can load and run blink :smiley: