Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
About that New Bot — Parallax Forums

About that New Bot

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,161
edited 2020-04-26 16:50 in Robotics
Hello!
I originally constructed the fellow as a BOE-Bot. But now I think about it, it might have been intended as an early production based Activity Bot, since I've got an early model PAB one here. (PAB not the LAPD admin building but Prop Activity Board.) That is the aluminum frame and original wheels were. In an early delivery from a forum member I received a generous supply of Parallax products, yes Ken that's what you did send, I received several BOE boards, and that PAB one. Since there were several BOE Bot refill kits included, I just believed that the body of the bot was intended to be a BOE-Bot setup.

Normally I use the GUI programming tool for programming the Bot, can Blocky be used for programming the (generic) Activity Bot? So there it is in a shell, your choice of wrappers.
---
Mascot away no messages accepted.

Comments

• Buck Rogers,

I think you have the bots and GUI tools mixed up.

There was a Propeller BOE-Bot which was a BOE-Bot but used a Propeller instead of a BS2.
    It was programmed entirely in Spin, which is a BASIC-like Propeller language.

The Scribbler 2 which also used a Propeller running Spin was programmable through a GUI.
    I am not familiar with the newer S3.

The ActivityBot is programmed in C and the original version used the Propeller Activity Board but the newer version uses the WX board which can program the Propeller wirelessly.

The original BOE-Bot had a GUI tool that could program it but I haven't tried it on the newer versions of Windows.
  • Genetix wrote: »
    Buck Rogers,

I think you have the bots and GUI tools mixed up.

There was a Propeller BOE-Bot which was a BOE-Bot but used a Propeller instead of a BS2.
    It was programmed entirely in Spin, which is a BASIC-like Propeller language.

The Scribbler 2 which also used a Propeller running Spin was programmable through a GUI.
    I am not familiar with the newer S3.

The ActivityBot is programmed in C and the original version used the Propeller Activity Board but the newer version uses the WX board which can program the Propeller wirelessly.

The original BOE-Bot had a GUI tool that could program it but I haven't tried it on the newer versions of Windows.

Hello!
    Perhaps I do. But these are the original ones for the BOE, and the bot refills matched the original entry. And yes the GUI tool works on both Win10 and on Win98SE.

I was not aware of that one concerning the ActivityBot which used the PAB board and was programmed in C. This PAB has the fittings for the WX board so I could mount down the WiFi device for it. And doesn't BlockyProp stuff look like the output from the C programming tools when the user asks the screen editor to show the code behind the blocks? Let's see what happens when the rest of the group weighs in with appropriate comments later. I'll take six from erco, and 12 from Publison after he's finished with that Screaming Blue Howler.
  • can Blocky be used for programming the (generic) Activity Bot?

Yes, blocky can be used with the original Activity Bot. I don't think you can use a WiFi device to program on original Propeller Activity Board (PAB). You'd need the WX version of the board to use with the WiFi module.

You can still program your PAB over USB. As suggested, you can use Block or C. You can also use Spin to program the board.

Do you have the Activity Bot wheels with encoders? The type of servo/encoder setup you have will greatly effect how you program the robot.
  • Duane Degn wrote: »
    can Blocky be used for programming the (generic) Activity Bot?

Yes, blocky can be used with the original Activity Bot. I don't think you can use a WiFi device to program on original Propeller Activity Board (PAB). You'd need the WX version of the board to use with the WiFi module.

You can still program your PAB over USB. As suggested, you can use Block or C. You can also use Spin to program the board.

Do you have the Activity Bot wheels with encoders? The type of servo/encoder setup you have will greatly effect how you program the robot.

Hello!
    Sorry, just the regular BOE-Bot wheels, in this case the next generation ones. And as for the WiFi methods? I don't know, I'd say you're right though.

It seems Publison is still having problems with that Blue Howler otherwise I'd expect him to chime in. Definitely worth an erco point if nothing else.
  • Buck,

The original ActivityBot used encoders on the wheels but the new version uses Servos that have built-in feedback.

They are currently on sale so buy a pair.
    https://www.parallax.com/product/900-00360