Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BlocklyProp Solo re-written as beta: seeking testers! — Parallax Forums

BlocklyProp Solo re-written as beta: seeking testers!

Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
edited 2020-04-24 14:28 in General Discussion
Hey community!

We could really use your help! BlocklyProp Solo is now in use widely by our customers. However, we've also got a new Beta in release and we need to get as many BlocklyProp programmers on it as possible. We're running with a thin team during this COVID-19 business slowdown and our developers need feedback to mature this before summer. Could you help us?

What has changed?

Our developers have gone through a process of extensively fortifying of code. Our original intent and design philosophy didn't lead to reliable system maintainability - each enhancement in the past often resulted in unexpected and unwanted side effects. The refactoring considered the whole picture as well as small details with the intent of giving us more flexibility for future updates without upsetting existing user experiences. We've used the same programming language (JavaScript) although it is now focused on the ES6 standard instead of a mix of ES5 and ES6. Once any new issues are found and fixed, we are expecting higher reliability, easier release efforts, and no more need for any users to Ctrl+Shift+Refresh in order to enjoy the latest released features. The latter is a benefit that was a critical target of all this work.

Where is the new BlocklyProp?

We put a site up for it called Solo Cup.

How can I be a tester?

Load and run your BlocklyProp code. Try to break it! Report all of your errors on our BlocklyProp Solo GitHub.

Thank you!

Ken Gracey

BPSolo.jpg

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2020-04-24 23:32
    Ken, which github repository is the Solo Cup code in? I'd like to try merging it with my robot-arm enhancements, assuming Matt's custom-block-enabling magic is baked into the beta.

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • Phil, I don't know. You'll need to ask somebody on the developer side of this effort: Jim, in particular.

Ken Gracey