Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WX esp8266 WiFi module, new problem — Parallax Forums

WX esp8266 WiFi module, new problem

I have had this WX WiFi module on my AB WX board, and it has been working very well. The problem, I changed, or should I say, replaced my old modem with a new Ally12B modem.

Now with the new modem I can not get to the WX WiFi module via 192.168.4.1. The browser just keeps coming up with a msg - can't get to it. Anybody else getting this kind of problem?

The modem has a 5GHz and 2.4hz, when I try to get to the WX WiFi, I am using the 2.4GHz band. I have tried other WiFi devices with the modem, so I know that the Ally 2.4GHz band is working as it should be. I also have another WX WiFi module, that one is not responding to the 192.168.4.1 request also. That one is also known to be working the last time it was used.

I have tried these on my Windows 10 Pro box with all the latest updates installed. I am wondering if the browsers have some kind of new security measures where it prevents you from getting to 192.168.4.1. I tried both Firefox and Edge, both cannot connect to 192.168.4.1. Not sure what to try next to resolve this problem, any ideas?

I wish there was some other way to connect to the WX WiFi module, when you have to do a new setup.

Thanks

Ray

Comments

• First lets clear up a few things. Ally12b is a router and not a modem. It allows devices to connect to it.

The WX Module does not connect to your router using that address. It will use an address setup on your router for that. Knowing what address it used can only be determined by looking at the router configuration screen or accessing the WX module through the command port.

In the default configuration of the unit it will be an access point and you can connect directly to the WX module from your phone or computer without the use of the Ally12b as the WX module doesn't need it.

If the unit was previously configured to your network through a different router and you just replaced it with the Ally12b then your WX module is lost since it can't connect to the original router and will need to be reset back to some know configuration.

Mike
  • For some reason I have modem on my mind.

This WX WiFi module is turning out to be a hit or miss situation. It seems once you have a specific configuration setup and you have it set for "sta+ap", and you change your router, then it seems like the WX WiFi module does not operate as expected.

I had to recreate my original router setup just to be able to get to the configuration screen on the WX WiFi module. Now I am wondering if the WX WiFi firmware needs some improvements. It would be nice if the WX WiFi had a USB port, so you could get direct access to the unit to do configuration changes, and be able to do changes via the browser.

I wonder if there is a special setting for the WX WiFi module that has to be implemented when you will be doing a router change.

Ray
  • Yes, I found that to be a pain as well. Once you lose contact with the unit it's hard to get it back. There are option to reprogram it if you can get it connected to the propeller or can access the unit through a USB dongle.

Also in the manual there are a couple of options shown here:
    Later, if you have configured your Wi-Fi module to reside on another network, you can make it reappear as an access point by rapidly grounding and releasing the /PGM pin four times. If your Wi-Fi module is in an Activity Board WX, this can be done by pressing and releasing the RST button rapidly, four times. In a breadboard, a pushbutton with one terminal connected to GND and the other to /PGM is convenient.

Mike
  • Yes, I tried the reset methods, that did not work as expected. In fact my sip WX WiFi module, the blue LED does not blink any more. Not sure if the unit went bad or the firmware got corrupted.

For the sip module, since you cannot make a connection, how do you reprogram the thing, with a fresh .ota file? At Parallax, how do they program the unit for the first time. Or maybe this is just a, buy a new one, they are relatively cheap, sort of mentality.

Better stop here before a moderator locks me out.

Ray
  • Rsadeika wrote: »
    Yes, I tried the reset methods, that did not work as expected. In fact my sip WX WiFi module, the blue LED does not blink any more. Not sure if the unit went bad or the firmware got corrupted.

For the sip module, since you cannot make a connection, how do you reprogram the thing, with a fresh .ota file? At Parallax, how do they program the unit for the first time. Or maybe this is just a, buy a new one, they are relatively cheap, sort of mentality.

Better stop here before a moderator locks me out.

Ray
    You can reprogram the module using a serial connection. That is how they are programmed during manufacturing.

• You can reprogram the module using a serial connection. That is how they are programmed during manufacturing.
    So, this sounds like, maybe, a DIY project. Has anybody done this, at home, and willing to provide some "hand holding" steps, to accomplish this.

Ray
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2020-04-22 15:10
    There's a step by step pdf guide here somewhere. In time I can find it again. I shared it in the last couple years after a similar request.

You need a prop plug and a jumper wire, as I recall.
  • If you can do OTA I would do that. Loading from serial is a little tricky.

If you can load an OTA and the LED still doesn't work which I suspect is the case the firmware has nothing to do with it. IE if the web page is working then the LED should be as well.

Mike