Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Tech Destroyer USS Zumwalt - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

New Tech Destroyer USS Zumwalt

2»

Comments

• Down for 10 days, must be a lot of anniversary update re-installs.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,248
    What an embarrassment. Not ready for prime time. Nothing wrong with old tech:

Hopefully in wartime, ISIS will honor a "time out" for the Zumwalt to get towed in and refitted with new seals.

Lemme guess: were these seals made by a Chinese affiliate of Morton Thiokol?
  • MikeDYurMikeDYur Posts: 2,176
    edited 2016-11-23 22:19
    Scratched a little paint in Panama, could have been a disaster with it's radar signature, but that is why they do the testing, (Shake Down). There is probably nothing high tech about a seal, just because it is electric propulsion doesn't mean the screws are turning any faster than diesel powered. They must have awarded the contract to the lowest bidder.

As far as the $800, 000.00 a pop for ammo, if it works, can't you just save a couple in the toolbox for a special occasion. Price may come down in the future. Right now it's not for target practice, which I'm sure they would like to do.

I wonder if Captain Kirk broke a sweat over this little incident.
    I wonder if my first employer Pratt & Whitney GPD has any of those million-dollar wrenches left that they used to sell to the military. Maybe Zumwalt should carry a billion-dollar toolbox and some overpriced duct tape just in case.
    xanadu wrote: »
    Down for 10 days, must be a lot of anniversary update re-installs.

Cortana's not yet got her sea legs.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    What's the deal with the seals?

As far as I can tell huge ferry boats and the new generation of gigantic cruise liners have been using electric propulsion like that for ages. It's a proven technology.

Not sure about the hyper expense ammo. When you are being stung to death by a swarm of bees a Luger will not help you.

• Speaking of expensive ammo, how about expensive targets. Check your date codes before dinner preparation, if outdated, dispose of properly.

edited 2016-11-26 10:38
    Awesome sub tech video, Red Oktober fans like me will be drooling. Sonar test facility in Idaho lake (Duane!) tests stealthiness of scale models of sub and Zumwalt, watch at 21:00.

But at 16:00, how is a 360 kph Barracuda torpedo supersonic? Something's hinky.

Watch at 38:30 for cool robot tech for uuv mine detecting robots and retrieval arm.

• I'm with you. The video clearly says "It can power the Barracuda through water at 360 kilometers per hour, nearly four times faster than the super sub's torpedoes." Then, a bit later, "Traveling faster than the speed of sound, the Barracuda actually outruns its own sound waves".

360 kph = 223.7 (roughly) mph

Of course, 223 mph is nowhere near supersonic through the air, and sound travels MUCH faster through the water. The speed of sound through sea water is, on average, around 3490 mph (5617 kph). Looks like they're off by more than one order of magnitude. Even if they're talking about the speed of sound through air (since the torpedo is surrounded by air as it travels), that would be around 768 mph (1236 kph).
  • I just watched the submarine video myself. I think they used the word "air" several times instead of the word "gas." I noticed two instances when "air" was used when they should have said "water vapor."

I think it's pretty safe to assume the rocket powered torpedo is surrounded by a layer of water vapor, not air. The same goes for other cavitation references in the video.
    erco wrote: »
    Sonar test facility in Idaho lake (Duane!) tests stealthiness of scale models

I had to look up "Bayview" to see where is was. It's clear up in the pan handle of Idaho (northwest portion of the state). I'm down in the southeast corner. I was very surprised to learn there was a city named "Bayview" in Idaho. Idaho isn't known for its bays.

It was a very interesting show. Thanks for the link erco.

edited 2017-03-06 05:49
    So the Zumwalt can't afford rail gun ammunition and apparently from the herky-jerky landing (sped-up video at 0:20), the V22 Ospreys can't afford a decent PID flight controller?

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    I like the idea of the "Ford Class" aircraft carrier. Is the the super cheap model, mass produced and only in black? When can I order one? :)

The Ospreys did seem a bit wonky. Strangely all three of them in a very similar way. Which would suggest it's not down to odd wind gusts or pilot jitters.
    In Stark(?) contrast, the giant Sikorsky helicopter landing went like butter.
  • Heater. wrote: »
    I like the idea of the "Ford Class" aircraft carrier. Is the the super cheap model, mass produced and only in black? When can I order one? :)

The Ospreys did seem a bit wonky. Strangely all three of them in a very similar way. Which would suggest it's not down to odd wind gusts or pilot jitters.

I think the V22's have an issue with Ground Effects as most helicopters do. The pilots just know its coming.

OMG, this thing is completely bungled. Only 3 ships made for a total cost of $23 billion and not even ready. The system is broken and unchecked. https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a31979953/uss-zumwalt-combat-ready/
  • OMG, that is one butt-ugly ship -- if you can even call it that! I'd like to see if its radar signature is really so low that the expenditure for it was justified.

-Phil
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,144
    OMG, that is one butt-ugly ship -- if you can even call it that! I'd like to see if its radar signature is really so low that the expenditure for it was justified.

-Phil

Yes, seems its radar signature not really zero, just that of a fishing boat. The visible signature is still large.
    All the tech is in the missiles that allow this to sit way over the horizon, so it then hardly needs a low radar signature.
  • Those angles, though.

I can just visualize a 1/24 scale model of the Zumwalt being backed down a boat ramp by a Tesla Cybertruck
  • Admiral Zumwalt left such an amazing legacy from his naval service. It's really sad to see that legacy memorialized this way.

-Phil
    edited 2020-04-17 18:21
    Butt-ugly? So harsh! I find it more distinctive than ugly, but then again I have a Corvair and a Nissan Leaf.

Ship-wise, give me the lovely lines of a Confederate Albemarle-class ironclad over Zumwalt anyday. But then again, I'm from Charleston SC.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g49447-d2553287-i184607891-Port_O_Plymouth_Museum-Plymouth_North_Carolina.html

albemarle.png
    670 x 500 - 712K
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,975
    edited 2020-04-18 05:55
    I wouldn't call the Zumwalt butt-ugly. Rather somewhere between OMG! and WTF? would seem more accurate. And appropriate. Every bit as controversial as its namesake. The policy changes that Adm. Zumwalt had put into place had about as many supporters as detractors. All a matter of who you were hearing it from back when. His legacy seemed to run the range from Satan (those who thought his policies would destroy good order and discipline, and the navy with it) to Saint (those who thought his reforms were long overdue).

Looking at the ships side profile though, it seems to give a whole new meaning to the question of whether your enemy can hit the broad side of a barn.

Edit: Come to think of it, the profile actually reminded me of an early DOS game called SPECTRE. Some of you may have played it.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2020-04-19 09:35
    When an enemy sights this, they are likely to laughter it off as a prank.

But beware of what lurks within.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,742
    War equipment never was beautiful and the last feature war equipment has to have is beauty. Looking better than you are is a kind of camouflage used to trick the opponent. In the end it is about blood. War is not sightseeing. Event if you are used to travel to enter into a war site. And we are still happy that Americans took the burden to free Europe from the Nazis. So that a victim of narzism later could say (in another man's words) "I'm bringing them up, but where they come done, that's not my department!"