Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie and needs Help for Project Design. — Parallax Forums

Newbie and needs Help for Project Design.

edizonblueedizonblue Posts: 3
edited 2014-09-24 20:25 in General Discussion
Hi guys. Good day. I am a newbie here and currently on my thesis on project design. I would like to ask any recommendations from you if i could integrate PING ULTRASONIC SENSOR into my project. So here my project goes

- It is a vibrating cane stick guide for the blind.. It uses ultrasonic sensors for object detection (I will be using PING for it), and it has vibration motor in its handle and a wireless bluetooth headset.

What specifically is the real time response in seconds for the PING ULTRASONIC SENSOR as it detects object?

How can I incorporate the PING with the bluetooth headset for the audio instruction. Will I be using ARDUINO nano? or MICRO CONTROLLER? ? (I have doubts on this.)

Is this project feasible? ?

thank u so much guys. if you want to help me please reach me at my email

edison.dignos13@gmail.com

I owe you a lot. Thank you so much

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2014-09-09 22:15
    Look at the timing diagram in the PING documentation. Once you trigger the PING, it can take up to just under 20ms for the ultrasonic pulse to go out 3m, hit an object, and return 3m (maximum range). That determines the worst case response time.

What do you want the Bluetooth headset to do? The Emic 2 Text-to-Speech module could be used to talk over Bluetooth. SparkFun sells a Bluetooth audio module that could be connected to the EMic2. A vibration motor could be turned on under whatever circumstances you define. You will need some kind of relatively high power switch for this (a simple transistor will do). Look at the Nuts and Volts column #6 for a discussion of this.

You could use pretty much any 5V compatible microcontroller for this task (since the PING and Emic 2 are designed for operation at 5V). A Stamp will do nicely. An Arduino will also work. You'll have to figure out how to take the PING distance readings and decide what they mean in terms of obstacles and trigger the vibration motor and speech synthesizer (EMic2).
  • edizonblueedizonblue Posts: 3
    edited 2014-09-24 00:06
    Mike Green wrote: »
    Look at the timing diagram in the PING documentation. Once you trigger the PING, it can take up to just under 20ms for the ultrasonic pulse to go out 3m, hit an object, and return 3m (maximum range). That determines the worst case response time.

What do you want the Bluetooth headset to do? The Emic 2 Text-to-Speech module could be used to talk over Bluetooth. SparkFun sells a Bluetooth audio module that could be connected to the EMic2. A vibration motor could be turned on under whatever circumstances you define. You will need some kind of relatively high power switch for this (a simple transistor will do). Look at the Nuts and Volts column #6 for a discussion of this.

You could use pretty much any 5V compatible microcontroller for this task (since the PING and Emic 2 are designed for operation at 5V). A Stamp will do nicely. An Arduino will also work. You'll have to figure out how to take the PING distance readings and decide what they mean in terms of obstacles and trigger the vibration motor and speech synthesizer (EMic2).

Thank you for your response Mr. Green... this would be a big help for me. is it okay with you if I'll ask for your email sir? So that I can contact you directly for further questions regarding the development of this project? Thank you so much sir. :) i am from the Philippines actually :)
  • edizonblueedizonblue Posts: 3
    edited 2014-09-24 00:31
    Sir do you know what type of sensor that detects manhole or open spaces on the ground?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-09-24 07:14
    edizonblue wrote: »
    Thank you for your response Mr. Green... this would be a big help for me. is it okay with you if I'll ask for your email sir? So that I can contact you directly for further questions regarding the development of this project?

In my opinion, this isn't an appropriate question unless you intend to hire Mr. Green as a consultant.

By helping you here on the forum, Mike Green's responses help others who may have similar questions.

A lot of people come to the forum looking for answers but never need to ask a question since a similar question had previously been asked and answered. If the answers had been given via email or private message the information wouldn't be available to everyone.

BTW, I know I've seen similar projects with ultrasound sensors at the end of a cane. I think I've seen them mentioned here on the forum. If I find a link I'll add it to this thread.

Edit: The ultrasound sensor isn't in the cane but here's something somewhat related to what you're trying to do.
  • DomanikDomanik Posts: 233
    edited 2014-09-24 20:25
    Edison,
    What an interesting combination. I suppose the cane ultra-sonic sensor could be mounted pointing towards the ground and the distance could be a modulated by clicks. Close distance like 2" no clicks, and open manhole fast clicking. The ping has a hard time getting a reflection off an angled surface.
    Dom..
  • TerryMulhernTerryMulhern Posts: 3
    edited 2020-04-09 08:42
    edizonblue wrote: »
    Posted in General Discussion >> Topic: Newbie and needs Help for Project design materials and guides to buy thesis
    Hi guys. Good day. I am a newbie here and currently on my thesis on project design. I would like to ask any recommendations from you if i could integrate PING ULTRASONIC SENSOR into my project. So here my project goes
    >>>>>
    Quote collapsed
    >>>>>

Hello, I know it's quite an old topic, but I'm curious about your project and its outcomes and implementation. I'm trying to plan my classroom activities for the next few weeks (I will be teaching my students via Skype this time); My idea was to use ARDUINO NANO and Ultrasonic Sensor HC - SR04 (I found a video by Maker Tutor, but still I have doubts, because each student will need to buy those and I'm not sure they will be happy about it.