Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P3 ideas - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

P3 ideas

13»

Comments

• On the current hardware, if your block size is big enough, the fastest way is probably to just do the copy in two stages through hubram.
  • YanomaniYanomani Posts: 1,524
    edited 2020-04-02 03:48
    I may be misreading P2 documentation, but, in a paired Cog situation (LUT-sharing), and provided enough cycles are allowed for the first Cog-to-Hub write-transfers to take place (Streamer-conducted), the paired Cog (Streamer-conducted too) would be able to begin doing its job of Hub-to-(paired-LUT) transfers.

In a scenario like the one above depicted, after the first 16 longs (the actual number of longs may depend on the architecture; i.e., the number of implemented Cogs) have been written to the Hub by the first Cog/Streamer, the second (paired) Cog/Streamer could begin transfering from Hub to its paired Lut, at a one-long-per-cycle rate.

I believe that would be the faster way to accomplish the task. Resource-consuming, but very expedite, anyway.

In the mean time, both Cogs would be freed to do any processing/task that would not depend on their individual Fifos resources.

Sorry, my fault! evanh got it explainned right, at the next post!
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,192
    edited 2020-04-02 02:59
    The SETQ burst transfers are using the cog's ALU, not the streamer. It consumes all execution time.

A streamer can't modify lutRAM nor cogRAM. In fact the only operation a streamer can do within cog memories is read lutRAM for purpose of pin output.

• Hi evanh

You're right. Post striked-thru...