Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Checking In - Everybody Okay? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Checking In - Everybody Okay?

Comments

• TorTor Posts: 2,010
    edited 2020-03-30 11:58
    Been working from my home office for more than two weeks now (I'm in Norway currently). Nothing new for me, I've done this for years on and off if in my other location. The difference is only that most of the other people at work are working from home as well, and for some of them it's a new experience. They may have problems being efficient from the start. But schools are closed too, and those with children have to supervise the home schooling as well.. those actively doing this (instead of working) are on "sick child leave" (normal pay), which has been extended to cover this situation. So couples at home will share this 50/50. It's very challenging for some of my colleagues to have lots of small children running around while they try to work.
  • Stuck out of work for two weeks in MA, but fortunately back to work today. Had lots of time to work on Prop libs!

Cheers
  • rbehmrbehm Posts: 102
    edited 2020-03-30 13:24
    rbehm wrote: »
    Here in Taiwan we are safe. We have a well known epidemiologist as health minister. They acted already at the beginning of January when they heard about the problems in Wuhan and from their experiences with SARS. So far community spread does not seem to exist. So no lock down needed.
    Until two weeks ago we had less 50 cases. Then it started to rise because many people returned home. The government ordered everyone coming in from outside to 14 day quarantine with a heavy fine (1M NT$) in case of someone not following.

We have no lock down here but our customers are slowing down. That gave me time to create a prototype for an avionics control panel (radio + transponder + traffic). Of course with a prop (P1) inside. every aircraft should also have a propeller in the cockpit panel.

320*240 pixel graphic display, adc input for brightness control, 3 serial (RS232 + 2*RS422). Used up nearly all 32k RAM.
    1878 x 1982 - 338K
  • rbehm wrote: »
    rbehm wrote: »
    Here in Taiwan we are safe. We have a well known epidemiologist as health minister. They acted already at the beginning of January when they heard about the problems in Wuhan and from their experiences with SARS. So far community spread does not seem to exist. So no lock down needed.
    Until two weeks ago we had less 50 cases. Then it started to rise because many people returned home. The government ordered everyone coming in from outside to 14 day quarantine with a heavy fine (1M NT$) in case of someone not following.

We have no lock down here but our customers are slowing down. That gave me time to create a prototype for an avionics control panel (radio + transponder + traffic). Of course with a prop (P1) inside. every aircraft should also have a propeller in the cockpit panel.

320*240 pixel graphic display, adc input for brightness control, 3 serial (RS232 + 2*RS422). Used up nearly all 32k RAM.

Do you remember the Prop based Wingman?

http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/123531/my-latest-creation-here-now-by-popular-demand
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2020-03-30 17:02
    Hey Reinhardt, this looks very professional for a prototype.

cool,

Mike
  • Thanks, it was intended to be presented at the AERO 2020 in Germany. But this has been postponed because of the virus.
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2020-03-31 16:11
    Had a smile-worthy moment today with fellow P1 user, Rick "paintball mini gun" Galinson. He popped by to give me a pulse-ox sensor that he wants to use in a home-brew respirator (he's a diver and has the other items). As I walked out to his Jeep he opened the door a crack and put a small package on the roof, then quickly shut the door. When I got to the Jeep I found the sensor (in it's packaging) wrapped in a wet Clorox cleaning wipe. We had a short conversation through the rolled up window and went about our days.

His family is well. My sister and her husband are in quarantine awaiting test results (they're exhibiting flu-like symptoms). I've been working from home since November and have very little human contact, anyway -- now it's just at the grocery where I am very careful. I walk several miles every day and everyone is giving each other a very wide berth on the sidewalks.

Stay safe and healthy, all.
  • JonnyMac wrote:
    ... now it's just at the grocery where I am very careful.

I got my last load of groceries using Safeway's order/pickup website. It's a pretty slick system, and the website is very good. It's just like ordering anything else online, and you prepay with a credit card to finish the order. Part of the ordering process is selecting a pickup date and time. It will be a few days out, since they're so busy now. But their system will text you on the appointed day when the order is ready to pick up. I got the text, drove to the local Safeway store, parked in the designated area, opened my trunk, and called the number on the sign. Within minutes, someone came out with my groceries, loaded them into the trunk, and I was off. Zero person-to-person contact required.

I got almost everything I wanted. The only thing they were out of that was on my list were frozen green beans. And they substituted a quart of half'n'half for the pint I had ordered.

-Phil
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Doing good in MT, lots of projects to keep busy with. We are in another 2 weeks of "stay put" and the state just upped the restrictions on "vacationers" coming into the state, everyone has to quarantine for 14 days before moving onto where ever they planned. I think it's funny (and to clarify, thats funny strange, not funny ha ha) people are acting like they are taking "vacations" right now. I read many hotels have stopped allowing out of state travelers that are not medical, truckers or communications to stay in the hotels. We were having a lot of people from hot spots showing up and residence were not happy about it. I got one of these cool little mailers to inform me about whats going on, like perhaps I've missed all the coverage in the news. [Front]0330201457.jpg [Back]0330201457d.jpg Anyone else get one of these?

We are doing a couple runs to help out the elderly folks who have been stuck inside with the same setup that Phil is doing. Ordering online ahead, picking it up, then dropping it off at a location that gives it to who needs it. In all these wild times, dont forget there are still others that need help. #keepsafe #distanceeverything
    2560 x 1440 - 659K
    2560 x 1440 - 831K
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    edited 2020-04-05 10:01
    I'm happy to be one in the 999 of 1000 just now in Germany. More precisely:
    82,790,000  / 61,913  = 1338 as of 03.30.2020
    82,790,000  / 67.366  = 1229 as of 01,04,2020
    82,790,000  / 73,522  = 1126 as of 02,04,2020
    82,790,000  / 79,696  = 1039 as of 03,04,2020
    82,790,000  / 85,778  =  965 as of 04,04,2020
    82,790,000  / 91,714  =  903 as of 05,04,2020

Latest data here show doubling of cases every 7 days due to social distancing. As 1300 ~ 1K it will take 10 weeks to get a hit. But when reaching 9 weeks without infection, the chance to need vaccination to be immun is pretty high :-)
  • Up in NorCal, working mostly from home, but still coming in 2 days a week. As an essential business EMS we are still producing PCBAs and electromechanical products, but with a reduced workforce. Most support groups like HR, payroll, marketing, etc are working remotely 100%.
    My wife homeschools our daughter, so the only change for her is that she doesn't get to go dissect animals in her Biology labs that were held at a nearby homeschool organization. She is bummed about that. Her karate classes are now done through facebook live stream. Still shooting for Black Belt before the end of this year.
    We are looking at several ways to support the healthcare industry and right now we are waiting on material to be delivered to make face shields with our laser cutter. We are already 3D printing hands-free door handles, but they are slow going.

I would actually love a break right now to be able to work on some propeller projects, but I have been more busy in the last 3 weeks than I have been for months. I do get a break tomorrow though; taking the day off for my birthday. Not sure what I am going to work on though.
  • Nice to see that all of you forum members are safe and sound in this crazy days. No lock downs so far where I go every day. But doors are locked and visitors may call or knock on the office window if they need some attention. I'm not so affected by the corona situation myself, the one thing different is we can't go visiting family and friends like we used to do, (or more correct: like we never did) but stays in touch by phone or social media a little more then before.
    And as am not into Facebook or other stuff like that, social media for me is Parallax forums only.
    Another difference for me, I'm staying more and more away from TV and radio, just getting the headlines from my radio when I wake up, when I'm back from work and before I go to bed. I have to admit, I'm getting so sick and tired of the corona virus broadcasts all day long, I really don't need to hear about every single new case each and every hour. I'm getting informed, no problem, but it seems the only things happening all over now, is corona.
    My work shop here is corona free zone, with Phil Collins, Santana or David Gilmour through the speakers. Or perhaps Patsy Cline!
    And I'm trying to not let the smoke out of small, not replaceable SMD regulators. Hmm seems I'm not so lucky there I guess.

So beside of the smoke leaking SMDs, everything is fine with me and nearest family, despite this special situation.
    Stay safe all healthy all of you fellow propellers and basicstampers!
  • All good here at Mike's place. My employer has significantly less work coming in and I took a 30 day (for now) leave of absence as I'm 60 and have a couple of the risk factors and couldn't see the upside of working 25 hours per week while exposing myself unnecessarily. We install and service large industrial air compressors and many end users are shut down so not a lot or work to do for our customers that are not expanding their plants and/or running machines that have a typical 3000 hour service interval. All good! Lots of minor neglected items around my estate(!?) are now being addressed much to the delight of Mrs. Mike. I also have time to work on a) Chronograph prototype and b) 3 phase data logger once my new P2ES board arrives in a day or two. I was making good progress on the 3 phase project when my Rev A ES board croaked for no good reason. All of you please be safe and healthy!
  • JD wrote: »
    Doing good in MT, lots of projects to keep busy with. We are in another 2 weeks of "stay put" and the state just upped the restrictions on "vacationers" coming into the state, everyone has to quarantine for 14 days before moving onto where ever they planned. I think it's funny (and to clarify, thats funny strange, not funny ha ha) people are acting like they are taking "vacations" right now. I read many hotels have stopped allowing out of state travelers that are not medical, truckers or communications to stay in the hotels. We were having a lot of people from hot spots showing up and residence were not happy about it. I got one of these cool little mailers to inform me about whats going on, like perhaps I've missed all the coverage in the news. [Front]0330201457.jpg [Back]0330201457d.jpg Anyone else get one of these?

We are doing a couple runs to help out the elderly folks who have been stuck inside with the same setup that Phil is doing. Ordering online ahead, picking it up, then dropping it off at a location that gives it to who needs it. In all these wild times, dont forget there are still others that need help. #keepsafe #distanceeverything

Got mine today.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Publison wrote: »

Got mine today.

Sweet, I was wondering how long it was going to take. I figured everyone would have gotten one by now, you know, because the 24/7 news coverage hasn't been enough to inform people. :wink:
  • I've been working A LOT lately. My day job is considered essential (construction) and still have quite a bit of side work coming in. I'm also trying to get settled in my new apartment, some 6 months later. My wife's work is closed, daughter's school is closed and it's looking like 2020 is going to be one big asterisk. It is a bit strange to see so many lives interrupted while it's just another day for me.

Reno is under "stay at home" order and it's very bizarre to see all the slot machines out of order or just plain shut off. Rush hour is non-existant and grocery stores (?and Home Depot?) are the only places with customers. Very strange times indeed.

Glad to see people checking in. Hoping everyone stays safe and sane!
  • I'm good over here in Singapore
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    Corona virus? What corona virus? I have five 'places' and each one has been shaken by an earthquake within the last few weeks, most recently by a magnitude 6.5 quake.

I too have a hoarding instinct. Seems now like it was a correct instinct. :) Sincerely sorry for the difficulties of others, but this has been a fantastic few weeks in my world. All the components, supplies, materials, tools, microcontrollers, and remote havens to stay busy and safe for a long time, or at least until a bigger one hits. ;)
  • Az is now under stay at home. 15-20 minutes for what was a 45 minute commute. But now everything is closing early. Off at 1830 and tried to stop at Home Despot on the way home, they had closed at 1800. We have enough stuff in the house for now and unless people go hoarding again, should be good for the duration. Lots of prop stuff and now going back to trying to master GIT again, an off and on again thing for the last couple years. Mainly when not distracted by HULU or Netflix, or Parallax forums, I continue hacking on my weight distribution detection problem. 4 sensors and a prop. Still using BST on Mint 19.3.
  • Good here in mountains of WV. Most everything closed. Internet was off most of morning.
  • KMyers wrote: »
    Good here in mountains of WV. Most everything closed. Internet was off most of morning.

Sorry about that partner. It was supposed to effect the government elsewhere, not where you are. (I am kidding!)
  • Incidentally everything so far is good. No real problems. Completed my ritual order from B&G. In this case it's 12 ICs from TI, that I was aware of from their databooks back when they were publishing them. These are the ALS series of technology items. If anyone is interested, I'll describe what the <BLEEP!> they are in a later thread.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Still good here. Even had time to work on a Parallax related project today, just posted in Robotics.

Stay safe everyone!
  • erco wrote: »
    Still good here. Even had time to work on a Parallax related project today, just posted in Robotics.

Stay safe everyone!

Hello!
    Yes I saw that. I'll take a look at it next. Are you aware that your cats are taking notes? They intend to publish a book from their point of view.
  • K2 wrote: »
    ...most recently by a magnitude 6.5 quake.

Was that the one in Idaho? If so, I felt it all the way up in Orofino!
  • Publison wrote: »
    Ahh... Audio projects go on. I have a PTC2399 for evaluation also.
    You betcha!

Have you any success with the 2399? I've made the 13700 operate and will be moving on to the 2399 shortly.

• Greetings from Anthem, AZ (N. Phoenix)
    Both the wife and I are healthy and doing well. The wife runs her own business out of the house and currently has no customers. Since Radio Shack closed all of its doors in AZ, I have been working at Walmart. Am considered essential so I have the infamous letter in my glove-box along with an extra ID. At my age I just hope this doesn't come back to bite me.
    Jim
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Thanks for all the replies. Good to hear from you all!
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    edited 2020-04-04 04:16
    davejames wrote: »
    K2 wrote: »
    ...most recently by a magnitude 6.5 quake.

Was that the one in Idaho? If so, I felt it all the way up in Orofino!

That's the one. We have several places in the mountains between Boise and the epicenter. Apparently it was felt as far away as Missoula. :open_mouth:

Orofino impresses me as a really nice place to live. :)
  • No conspiracy theories here abt internet but my router died I guess. Was jumping channels and not putting sig out most of the time. Power cycle and it worked abt 15 minutes. Back on with old router but SLOW.