Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"ERROR: Propeller not found on COM3" — Parallax Forums

"ERROR: Propeller not found on COM3"

Hello,
I am using (P8X32A-D40) microcontroller and TTL-232 USB Cable to program the microcontroller, but every time I run the software, I get this error message and could not figure out how to solve it. Can you please help with that?? I am using SimpleIDE software.

SimpleIDE Version 1.1.2
C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/
C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/ Updated on: 2020-03-13

propeller-elf-gcc.exe -v GCC 4.6.1 (propellergcc_v1_0_0_2408)
propeller-elf-gcc.exe -I . -L . -I C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools -L C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Utility/libsimpletools/cmm/ -I C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext -L C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/TextDevices/libsimpletext/cmm/ -I C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c -L C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Protocol/libsimplei2c/cmm/ -I C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Sensor/libping -L C:/Users/moham/Documents/SimpleIDE/Learn/Simple Libraries/Sensor/libping/cmm/ -o cmm/distance.elf -Os -mcmm -m32bit-doubles -fno-exceptions -std=c99 distance.c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lping -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lsimplei2c -lm -lsimpletools -lsimpletext -lm -lsimpletools -lm
propeller-load -s cmm/distance.elf
propeller-elf-objdump -h cmm/distance.elf
Done. Build Succeeded!

proploader.exe -r -I C:/Program Files (x86)/SimpleIDE/bin/../propeller-gcc/propeller-load/ -b activityboard -p COM3 cmm/distance.elf
Opening file 'cmm/distance.elf'
ERROR: Propeller not found on COM3
ERROR: Download failed: -1

Opening file 'cmm/distance.elf'
ERROR: Propeller not found on COM3
ERROR: Download failed: -1

Comments

• Assuming windows, open your device manager with the USB/serial disconnected. Plug it in so you see what device your device manager sees and look at its values. It could be com7, 10 or other settings. You could set if to com3 (or other port that simpleIDE amy work with) if it is not already being used by another device. So, either set your USB/serial device to comm3 if it is not used or set the comport in simple ide to the commX assigned by the device manager when you plugged the USB/serial plug in. Barely played with simpleIDE so can't tell you how to set the port it should expect to find the prop on.
  • Welcome to the forum! A picture of your setup and part numbers of your converter would help a bunch.
  • Could be many things, maybe your prop chip is not powered up. Chip is bad. FT232 chip is not wired correctly etc.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    What usb-serial are you using? Is it the propplug? If not, then you need to implement the DTR to reset transistor circuit - see the propplug circuit diagram.
  • I checked the wiring many times, there is no problem with them. Also, in DimpleIDE and the manger devices, the port serial is COM3. So, I do not think this is the problem. I attached pictures of everything I have so far.
    828 x 459 - 53K
    311 x 203 - 11K
    271 x 461 - 22K
    718 x 518 - 44K
    3024 x 4032 - 2M
  • Doesn't appear to be any decoupling caps right next to each of the Propeller DIP chip power pins.
  • iseriesiseries Posts: 1,452
    edited 2020-03-17 20:33
    Ya, your config will not work. I have the same setup that I just tried a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't work.

The problem is that the C code is hard coded somewhere to only use a crystal and run at 80Mhz.

If you install a 5Mhz crystal everything works just fine.

I tried RCFAST, RCSLOW and checked the clock config and it shows crystal at 80Mhz. Sample code here:
    #include "simpletools.h"

#define PIN 16
    int main()
    {

putHex(_clkmode);
      putChar('\n');
      putDec(_clkfreq);

high(PIN);

while(1)
      {
        pause(1000);
        low(PIN);
        pause(1000);
        high(PIN);
      }  
    }

If you where to use SPIN then I think everything works just fine without a crystal but I don't do spin so can tell you if that works. Also the prop loader program tries to download a small program that intern load the actual program. This also causes a problem since the loader program wants to run at 80Mhz. There is an option "loader=rom" that suppose to not use the fast loader program but your still faced with the fact that the C code wants a crystal and 80Mhz.

Mike
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • What device are you using for USB to serial? Is it a Parallax Proplug? Agree with the missing caps.
  • VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,278
    edited 2020-03-17 20:36
    A small ceramic cap either side of the DIP Propeller would be fine.

One between pins 9 and 12.
    The other between 29 and 32.

Value can be 100nF to 220nF range. Maybe up to 1uF in a pinch, if the capacitor is physically small.

Edit: Also would be better to add one more cap close to the EEPROM, between VCC and VSS. Use all the same value is fine.
  • If you're using one of FTDI's own cables instead of a PropPlug, (at least in Propeller Tool, no idea about other tools) you need to change the reset signal type from "DTR" to "RTS" (or "DTR & RTS")
  • The prop loader that is delivered with SimpleIDE is using version 1.0-34 and after downloading the latest version 1.0-37 the program will load after trying several different baud rates till it get to single stage which loads fine but the program does not run because the clock setup is wrong.

Also I tried the "loader=rom" option and that doesn't seem to work. No error just causes the loader to display the help screen.

Mike
  • yisiguroyisiguro Posts: 52
    edited 2020-03-22 08:04
    It seems that RTS is directly connected to RESET without pulse generator.
    And some RS232C signals usually are negative logic. PropPlug is configured DTR as positive logic at factory.

(Edit:)
    "/RST" line of PropPlug is NOT "RTS" line of RS232C.
    So, connecting directly RTS to RESET may hardly function.
    Please refer to "Prop Plug Documentation" link below:
    https://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/32201-Prop-Plug-Documentation-v1.3.pdf

Maybe your USB-TTL cable outputs 5V logic level, so do not connect it to Propeller without series resister of 4.7k.
    Sorry, the spec sheet says it outputs 3V logic at TxD. I think RTS may be still 5V logic.

I drew a schematic: This assumes RTS to be positive logic.
    generic.png
    694 x 395 - 38K
  • yisiguro wrote: »
    It seems that RTS is directly connected to RESET without pulse generator.
    And some RS232C signals usualy are negative logic. PropPlug is configured DTR as positive logic at factory.
    Yes, FTDIs can be reprogrammed to invert certain signals using FT_PROG. Might have to do that here.
  • Also I usually use a DIP version of Propeller on a breadboard with a generic FT232R breakout board for serial connection.
    I did some experiments using SimpleIDE and propeller-load.

SimpleIDE version is "1.12".
    The board type is GENERIC.
    Reset method is specified by "-D reset=..." command line option with propeller-load, [Reset Signal] option at [SimpleIDE Properties/General] panel with SimpleIDE.

1. Prop's RESET is connected to DTR, and reset method is set to "DTR":
    Downloading goes fine with both SimpleIDE and propeller-load.

2. Prop's RESET is connected to DTR, and reset method is set to "RTS":
    Downloading goes fine only with SimpleIDE. propeller-load fails every time.

3. Prop's RESET is connected to RTS, and reset method is set to "DTR":
    Downloading fails with both SimpleIDE and propeller-load.

4. Prop's RESET is connected to RTS, and reset method is set to "RTS":
    Downloading goes fine with both SimpleIDE and propeller-load first time, but only SimpleIDE fails every time after that.

• Try the Spin loader and not the IDE. Like someone mentioned earlier.