Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need a help with coupling Parallex 360 servo feedback motor to D shaft — Parallax Forums

Need a help with coupling Parallex 360 servo feedback motor to D shaft

Hello all,
i need to connect my parallex 360 servo (having 25 tooth 5.96mm OD in datasheet) to a d-shaft of encoder.
Is there any coupler anybody has tried ? or please suggest some coupler

Comments

• I 3D print those parts.

Mike
    1262 x 727 - 53K
  • Thanks Iseries
    it was helpful to get the name
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2020-03-12 18:20
    I would strongly recommend a solution that uses the round hub that comes with the servo. The reason is that the injection-molded splines in the hub are much stronger than any that can be 3D printed or laser cut. I've tried laser cutting splines, and they have a tendency to slip under load.

Also, I would recommend using a flexible shaft coupler that allows for slight misalignment between the servo and the encoder; otherwise, something could break. I've seen it happen.

But more to the point, the Servo 360 has a built-in encoder, and it's a very good one. Why do you need an external encoder to begin with?

-Phil
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2020-04-09 04:01
    Also, I would recommend using a flexible shaft coupler that allows for slight misalignment between the servo and the encoder; otherwise, something could break. I've seen it happen.
    +1

I once broke the shaft (0.25" dia.) on a $160 NEMA 23 stepper motor due to misalignment. All I could say at the time was "OUCH" :smile: