Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pure PASM2 in Propeller Tool and FlexGui? — Parallax Forums

Pure PASM2 in Propeller Tool and FlexGui?

RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
edited 2020-02-24 13:54 in Propeller 2
First, what are we to call the pure assembly code in PNut/FastSpin? Is it PASM2?

So, I guess PNut now supports two types of code now, PASM2 and Spin2.
Will that continue forward into the Propeller Tool/FlexGui?

I think there are some people who would prefer to code in pure assembly.
One nice feature of pure PASM2 code is that the same code can compile on both Pnut and Fastspin.
(At least that used to be the case.).

I remember there were always people who wanted to program P1 in pure assembly and didn't like that they needed the Spin part to get it started.

Personally, I wouldn't program this way anymore because it's too hard to avoid overlapping names when the code gets big.
(But, maybe somebody will figure out how to compile several pure PASM files separately and then combine them somehow...)

Anyway, I'm just curious about Chip and Eric are thinking about this...

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,187
    My impression is that Pasm2 is all sorted and will continue as is. I don't use any of the IDE's so can't comment on their support. Even if PropTool doesn't get Pasm2 support outside of Spin2, there is already four others that have it. Pnut, Fastspin, P2asm, and I assume Catalina.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    The compiler in PNut (which will also go into PropellerTool) goes into pure PASM2 mode when there are only DAT and CON blocks present.
  • My understanding is that on the P1 it always started the spin interpreter at boot time so you needed a spin program. This is not the case on P2.

Mike
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    iseries wrote: »
    My understanding is that on the P1 it always started the spin interpreter at boot time so you needed a spin program. This is not the case on P2.

Mike

Correct. P2 starts up in PASM from $00000.