Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Platform board? — Parallax Forums

Propeller Platform board?

Is the Propeller Platform board still available somewhere?

Or Martin's DNA board?

Comments

• I created the Propeller Platform for my Nuts & Volts column ages ago. I think the files are still available for download from N&V.
  • JonnyMac wrote: »
    I created the Propeller Platform for my Nuts & Volts column ages ago. I think the files are still available for download from N&V.

I found a Propeller Platform article in the March 2012 issue of Nuts & Volts.

"The Spin Zone
    Adventures in Propeller Programming
    CAN We Talk? "

Is this the board/project in question?

I have a copy of the files if you can't find/get them...
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2020-02-02 07:43
    https://www.nutsvolts.com/?/magazine/article/spinning_up_embedded_control_projects
    From May of 2009, files can be downloaded on that page, but not the full article.

The PCB design is in ExpressPCB format so to move to other CAD programs, you would need to place an order from PCBExpress and then request a gerber package, which is now done for free after you place an order. See the question about converting to gerber:
    https://www.expresspcb.com/faqs/

• JonnyMac wrote: »
    I created the Propeller Platform for my Nuts & Volts column ages ago. I think the files are still available for download from N&V.

That they are. But the magazine wants the viewer to be a subscriber to view the full article and decide for themselves.

---
    Mascot asleep!
  • Here are Jon's Express PCB files.
  • I have 1 DNA board left. Email me at martin.hodge @ gmail.com if you want it. $30
  • I also have one ASC+ if anyone wants it. Also $30
  • cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2020-02-04 03:14
    I have 1 DNA board left. Email me at martin.hodge @ gmail.com if you want it. $30

Thank you, Martin.

I sent an email to the address listed in the Wiki, but haven't heard back form that.

I'll take the last one, if I may.

Richard

PS: New email sent
  • Martin's DNA board is perhaps the most advanced version of the Propeller Platform.
    With board Real Time Clock, and Micro SD card.
    I thought it would be the industry standard by now.

So what is the current latest greatest Propeller board now?

DNA Wiki page:
    1mgh.com/wiki/Dna

Rays page:
    rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/PPE/PPE.htm
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2020-02-04 05:35
    cavelamb wrote: »
    Martin's DNA board is perhaps the most advanced version of the Propeller Platform.
    With board Real Time Clock, and Micro SD card.
    I thought it would be the industry standard by now.
    I have a PP board with only FT232R and SD slot as added features and even that is sometimes too much. When that topic crawls up high enough on my to do list again, I'll search an even more "naked" one. Too may not removable features too often just stand in your way. I already gave away some of my over featured boards because of this.
  • cavelambcavelamb Posts: 720
    edited 2020-02-06 00:33
    Links from years long past...

But the question was - what is available today?

@Martin?
    Got your email.
    Check in the mail
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2020-02-06 02:44
    Short answer, use a Jameco/GC/Continental/whatever with the Prop Education Kit circuit (PDF Manual can be downloaded for free). Low cost, maximum flexibility, great performance wired carefully.

I tend to think like yeti, the less on the board that you did not put there the better. eventually it will get in the way. My first board was the GG USB, but running long wires to a breadboard got a bit flaky at times. Then just jammed a prop into the 3 row Jameco breadboard that the wires were running to and the GG did not get much use from there. Just use the layout in the prop ed manual. Wire carefully and as short a wire as possible. Be sure to wire VSS/VDD on BOTH sides of the prop and place the bypass caps (220 or 470uF 10V) on the power bus and .1uF on each side of the prop as close to the chip as you can. You will have all the room in the world to wire up your ideas. Lately, I have been using a PPDB to test smaller parts of a project, since the schematic seems to show the only hard connections are the eeprom and the USB plug. Otherwise it seems to be a bareboard that you can hook up the on board extras as needed. But then the sections will end up relocated to the big board when the project takes up more than the PPDB has room for.
  • cavelamb wrote: »
    But the question was - what is available today?
    Let's "nail" something together in/with e.g. Fritzing?
  • I didn't realize that there was a version before the Gadget Gangster Propeller Platforms. I came in right around the time of the Gadget Gangster Propeller Platform USB with the surface mount Propeller.
  • There were so many cool boards made for the prop over the years. I probably owned at least one copy of most of em at one point or another. Have a slew of em left I would like to sell. When the bug bites you, it seems you can never have too many boards lol.
  • rogersyd wrote: »
    There were so many cool boards made for the prop over the years. I probably owned at least one copy of most of em at one point or another. Have a slew of em left I would like to sell. When the bug bites you, it seems you can never have too many boards lol.
    I know what you mean. I have way to many Propeller boards. I used to collect them so I could test the PropGCC loader on different boards but I no longer have a need for them. If I want to use a P1 I pretty much just use either an ActivityBoard WX or a FLIP.

• David Betz wrote: »
    I have way to many Propeller boards. I used to collect them...
    Me too. I’ve got quite the board hoard.
  • Cavelamb, check your spam folder if you haven't received my email.
  • Got your email of 2/5/20 and sent the check already.

Anything since?
    Should come straight through now.