Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Eval Board Back in Stock — Parallax Forums

P2 Eval Board Back in Stock

Just saw 88 boards in stock. One per customer may still be in effect. Will wait for Ken to confirm.
https://www.parallax.com/product/64000-es

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    It would be nice to get another one...

I'm tempted to swap out the chip on my Rev.A board if I can't...
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-01-09 18:41
    Just got confirmation. It's still one to a customer at this time.
  • Surprised to see only one board sold. Do all the forum people has at least one?
  • No, I don't have one.

I decided to order Peter P2D2 board instead because I wanted to have a small board to move between work and home, and also because he said that he will probably make these up next week to ship. That was more than two months ago ... and no P2D2 yet.

So glad to know that there are so many boards ready to ship for those who have a few "Franklins" left on the pocket.
  • I solved my multi P2 problem by buying two rev A ones from some very nice forum members shortly before rev B came out. (~1.5 franklins)

And yes, getting them to network like I thought (and simulated on my first P2A), did not work out, still working on it, need to scope it to understand.

Parallax also send me 2(!) P2 and I still fight with the streamer to do what I am asking it to do, the clocked in ADC mode SHOULD work digital too as of Chip, alas I was not able to get it running as of now.

But if, then the need for same clock with multi p2 vanishes. At least that is what I am trying out in my spare time...

Parallax, change this, 2 per developer should be allowed, getting some fast reliable inter P2 connection could lead to not just expanding the family down to 4 core but also up to 32 core (or more).

I am just playing with this, I am just a code monkey. Eric's Plan 9 server works with multiple P2's connected to each own servers/terminals on the same directory, Thus we have a PC file host.

And no I did not check for concurrent access yet.

The P2 is so much fun,

Mike
  • Hi
    Surprised to see only one board sold. Do all the forum people has at least one?

I don't either. Was planning to- got all excited- but reality kicked in knowing that until a UK supplier has stock and can handle taxes, customs etc etc then I will wait. Also not keen on the design- all those naked pins waving in the breeze waiting to have an accident. Not only that the more I listen to people (all cleverer than me) struggle with the new instructions etc, the more I feel intimidated. Think I'll wait till the wrinkles are ironed out, tools are ready, documentation is understandable, design is clumsy friendly.
    Then there's Peters P2D2 and P2PAL which is probably my sort of board- but then there's the UK supplier thing.
    Will wait and see how it pans out.

Dave
  • An update P1 with more ROM and RAM would be good for me. No use for a P2 except to learn something new.

Mike
  • iseries wrote: »
    An update P1 with more ROM and RAM would be good for me. No use for a P2 except to learn something new.

Mike
    Really, the P2 could be treated like a P1 with more RAM (but less ROM). You can ignore most of the fancy new features if you don't want to climb that learning curve. The basic P1 functionality is all pretty much still there. I guess the main problem would be that most P1 programmers rely heavily on OBEX code and that hasn't been ported over to P2 yet as far as I know.

• David Betz wrote: »
    Really, the P2 could be treated like a P1 with more RAM (but less ROM). You can ignore most of the fancy new features if you don't want to climb that learning curve. The basic P1 functionality is all pretty much still there. I guess the main problem would be that most P1 programmers rely heavily on OBEX code and that hasn't been ported over to P2 yet as far as I know.

You'd have the same problem with a RAM-expanded P1. Maybe one could get to 48k RAM by axing the font ROM, but the architecture can't handle any more than 64K total without breaking software compatibility. Pointers are generally stored in WORD-wide variables, programs are expecting the top words of addresses to be ignored and COGNEW/COGINIT pack the cog image ptr and the PAR value into one register.
  • > @tritonium said:
    Not only that the more I listen to people (all cleverer than me) struggle with the new instructions etc, the more I feel intimidated. Think I'll wait till the wrinkles are ironed out, tools are ready, documentation is understandable, design is clumsy friendly.
    > Then there's Peters P2D2 and P2PAL which is probably my sort of board- but then there's the UK supplier thing.
    > Will wait and see how it pans out.
    >
    > Dave

I've largely ignored the asm instructions, except take a look at drvh and drvl. Set a pin to output and give it a state all in one go. Plus hardware multiply. Plus instead of a lookup table you've got hardware to do sine and cosine.

Plus like 3x faster maximum clock and 2x faster instruction decoding. Plus no weird additional instruction executed after a branch like the P1.

It's really quite nice.
  • The problem with the P2 is a new foot print and new power requirements. Not ready to make that change.

Mike
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    whicker wrote: »
    Plus no weird additional instruction executed after a branch like the P1.

When does this happen?

The problem with the P2 is a new foot print and new power requirements. Not ready to make that change.

Mike
    But a P1+ would likely have had that as well because I'm pretty sure they would have gone beyond 32 pins as well as increasing RAM.

The problem with the P2 is a new foot print and new power requirements. Not ready to make that change.

Mike
    I hear ya. But if you get the itch to play with the P2 ES board, grab yourself one of the @W9GFO cases. Cant say enough good things about them. That case will help to keep some of the "accidents" from happening with those exposed pins. Click on W9GFOs profile to see what they look like.

• I have a P2 ES rev A board. Programming it is not an issue. Size and power are.

Mike
    I have a P2 ES rev A board. Programming it is not an issue. Size and power are.

Mike
    You could probably use the P1v code to create a P1 variant that has 64k of RAM and boots like P2 does by copying a hidden ROM into RAM during the boot process. After boot was complete you'd have the full 64k for your program/data.

• W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,010
    JRoark wrote: »
    I hear ya. But if you get the itch to play with the P2 ES board, grab yourself one of the @W9GFO cases. Cant say enough good things about them. That case will help to keep some of the "accidents" from happening with those exposed pins. Click on W9GFOs profile to see what they look like.

Thanks for the kind words about the cases. For now I have taken them down from the Etsy site because my laser is packed away while I remodel my shop. I won't be able to make any more until the walls are insulated, sheathed and sheet rocked, and I can't do that until some other things* are fixed. I'd like to think it will only be a couple weeks but that is not very realistic, more like a few weeks.

* Back in the late 20th century I did some work for a movie director who had purchased some property in Napa Valley. We demoed an old house that was built from scrap materials such as pallets and crates. That house had more care and skill put into its construction than my shop. At least my foundation and roof were done properly, if not for that I would have to tear the whole thing down.
  • Now that we are caught up with back-orders, we have lifted the 1-per-customer limit for the P2 ES Eval Board. Limit is also removed for the P2 Engineering Sample 4-Pack. We have 5 HyerRAM/HyperFlash boards on hand, so for the moment, all P2 items are in stock.