Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Block Group Indicators - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Block Group Indicators

2»

Comments

• That it wouldn't show indents like proptool does.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    I finally got it to correctly show everything in my test program.
    Thinking of calling these "Flow Indicators" or maybe "Block Flow Indicators".

This compound "case" was tricky, but think I have it now (see attached).

I'm attaching this SpinEdit.exe, in case anybody wants to test it.

BTW: I just noticed a difference with PropTool… I see PropTool alternates between light and dark backgrounds based on total number of PRI&PUB sections, whereas I was counting each type separately..
  • Rayman... I run SpinEdit in a Parallels VM on macOS... It runs well, but the editor font is so small, I can't really see the Block Flow Indicators :-) Any chance, you'll add font changes (size, at least) as an option? I have a few other quips, but will save for a specific SpinEdit forum posting.

Thanks,
    dgately

Can you not change font size by holding Ctrl key down and scrolling mouse wheel?

Maybe that doesn't work on Mac... I'll add some menu option for point size.
  • Thanks... A two-finger slide on the track pad does allow changing the font size (was news to me!), so no hurry on adding font size change menus (probably more important features to work on, at this time).

dgately
    dgately: I was just looking at Parallels... Looks like "VirtualBox" to me, but not free...

I'm curious about how well it works...

Do you happen know what advantages this has over VirtualBox?
    Do you com ports work just like in native Windows?
    Are you able to load ram and/or flash from SpinEdit inside Parallels?
  • Rayman wrote: »
    dgately: I was just looking at Parallels... Looks like "VirtualBox" to me, but not free...

Do you com ports work just like in native Windows?

Probably fairer to say that VirtualBox looks like Parallels, but free: When VirtualBox was first released, Parallels was already winning awards.
    Not having used VirtualBox on macOS, I'm not sure how responsive they are to the seemingly inevitable changes introduced with new major OS versions. As Parallels is a paid-for product it may well be ready for new OS versions sooner than VirtualBox.
    My experience with Parallels is that it didn't introduce any issues that Windows or macOS didn't already have, and a single serial port worked fine (I don't recall having a need to use multiple serial ports simultaneously.)
    Others will need to comment on use with SpinEdit.
  • I have used both. Parallels is more nicely integrated. One can set windows apps up and when it is all done, they work pretty much like native OSX apps do. There is also lots of app specific support. CAD, like Solidworks as an example, is well supported and will perform well.

BTW, the VMWare app, Fusion, is inferior, but does also have fancy integrations aimed at making apps look and feel native. I found it glitchy.

For things like our dev tools, it all comes down to I/O support. The rest probably does not matter.

I would run VirtualBox in a second. It probably works, and the fancy stuff adds little value.

Well, Parallels gets updated quite often to add features and keep up with macOS (& probably the other OS's supported) versions. It also gets updated to support new versions of the VMs. And, it provides tools that allow Copy/Paste between the host OS and the VMs as well as access to the host file system from VMs. Each VM has access to a host of Parallels-provided tools, when the VM is created (as well as when those tools get updated).

Do your com ports work just like in native Windows?
    Yes... Depending on your VMs config, you can have Parallels request which OS can access a plugged-in device. When I plug a P1 or P board into my system, Parallels asks if I want it to appear in macOS or Windows. Or, you can tell Parallels to select which OS, by default. The device show up as a typical COM port in Windows or within /dev/ttyUSBn on Linux VMs.

Yes, loadp2 & proploader work just as they do in a normal Window config.

dgately

• potatohead wrote: »
    I would run VirtualBox in a second. It probably works, and the fancy stuff adds little value.
    I disagree... Parallels provides inter-operability between the host OS and the VMs far better than either VMWare Fusion or VirtualBox. I've been a long time user of all 3 of these products and have been frustrated by VirtualBox's lack of updates to match new OS versions. And, VMWare Fusion has at times given me fits in broken functionality and features that "just don't work" as expected. I've had to dump & recreate several VMs in Fusion, just because they stopped functioning. Parallels seems more stable.

Parallels provides almost seamless access between the host and its VMs. You can even drag a file from the host's OS into a VM's file system and it just copies it as if the copy was taking place within a single file system. When you double-click on a Window's .exe file (within macOS), it will launch Parallels and your default Win system to execute the file! It just works!

dgately

• As a freebie, VirtualBox works well. Paying for Parallels totally makes sense. It is a great product.

I just do not care much about the integrations. All comes down to what matters. It did not for me.

edited 2019-12-31 17:06
    I've added a Font Size spinner control and a background brightness slider to the Ribbon Bar.
    See attached, you can make the background color very light with the slider...

Also, got the "File View" window to populate after compiling..

1041 x 793 - 68K
    Hmm... Was wondering why my slider was a fat blue... Changing "Style" to "Silver Style" made it look much better (see attached).
    1284 x 1128 - 101K
  • Congrats on 10,000 posts!
    Hmm... Was wondering why my slider was a fat blue... Changing "Style" to "Silver Style" made it look much better (see attached).
    Looks good! Definitely will test when you release another version !

dgately

Publison wrote: »
    Congrats on 10,000 posts!

Hmm... I'm here way to much... Should give it up for a month for New Year's. (but probably won't)
    edited 2019-12-31 22:47
    dgately wrote: »
    Looks good! Definitely will test when you release another version !

dgately

Here's the latest build. Was going to wait a bit more before posting to SpinEdit thread...
    Please let me know if you spot a bug with "Flow Indicators" (what I'm calling "Block Group Indicators").

Here's the latest build. Was going to wait a bit more before posting to SpinEdit thread...
    Please let me know if you spot a bug with "Flow Indicators" (what I'm calling "Block Group Indicators").
    The block indicators are being displayed incorrectly when the edit window is scrolled horizontally. Only happens when text is scrolled with a full page click in the scrollbar. When text is scrolled a pixel at a time, this does not happen.
    Before%20Scroll.pngAfter%20Scroll.png

dgately
    545 x 551 - 166K
    544 x 553 - 81K
    Oh, right! Thanks.
    I didn't take horizontal position into account at all...
    edited 2020-01-01 17:03
    I think I've fixed that in this version.
  • BTW: I posted a non-Block indicator issue on the main SpinEdit thread (didn't want to de-rail this thread).

dgately