Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Heater Has 6.3 VAC — Parallax Forums

Heater Has 6.3 VAC

This discussion was created from comments split from: 1024-point FFT in 79 longs.

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Hi Chip,

Long time no see. Merry Christmas! I hope all is well with you and yours.
    I wonder how fast mdern DSP's can do a 1024-point FFT. It might be a few microseconds.
    If I recall correctly your P2 FFT at 3ms is about ten times faster than my old P1 FFT in C.
    https://github.com/ZiCog/fftbench

Sadly I do not have the PASM version in that repo. Which was a tad faster. I wonder where it is now...

I have no idea about modern DSPs but I notice that the ARM processor of the Rapberry Pi 3B does that FFT in 150us.

On the P1 we did get some useful speed up using two cores or four with the help of OpenMP in C.
  • Merry Christmas @Heater. ! Welcome back.
    Thanks Publison.

I realized I had been away for ages, diverted by many things. Company failure, poverty, new company start up, the inevitable legal action from the old employer, more poverty.

Anyway, I wanted to stop by and wish Merry Christmas to all Parallaxians and ask ... "Is it Chipmas yet?"

• Hi @Heater,

yes it is Chipmas, and the P2 is real and absolute fun.

Sad to hear that life is hitting you. I think @"Peter Jakacki" still has some P2 rev B and might be still open for Orders, Parallax will have around 120 in January and then more in April.

You are missed...

Mike
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-12-25 23:08
    Heater. wrote: »
    Thanks Publison.

I realized I had been away for ages, diverted by many things. Company failure, poverty, new company start up, the inevitable legal action from the old employer, more poverty.

Anyway, I wanted to stop by and wish Merry Christmas to all Parallaxians and ask ... "Is it Chipmas yet?"

I'll get an extra of Peter's P2D2 in my package for North America distribution and send it to you. It's a bang up module.
    http://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170695/p2d2-with-p2-revb-taking-orders#latest

The Parallax Engineering sample board is a great platform also.
    https://www.parallax.com/product/64000-es
    https://www.parallax.com/product/64006-es
    https://www.parallax.com/product/64004-es
    Thanks msrobots,

It seems I have a lot of catching up to do.

Never mind life, poverty runs in my family. We like the challenge :)
  • Hey Heater. I had some similar times. I still am in deep with a startup, but have less poverty now. I'll take it.

Good to read you again.

We made it to Chipmas!

I hope you and yours are able to power through.

The P2 is all kinds of fun. Hope you can join us.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    @heater,
    Welcome back my friend!
    Pleased you are powering thru the problems - been there too.

Merry Christmas to you and the family :)
    Hi potatohead,

We couple of guys, made unemployed as we were, only wanted to pick up a little project the old company had abandoned.

Thinking we did not want any IP issues to arise we started from scratch. No more C or C++, no more node.js. All new code in Rust. No way anyone could claim we borrowed their code.

Sure they come after us anyway....

How can I use a P2 in all this?

Our remote sensors need internet connectivity.
  • @"Peter Jakacki" has his wiznet module running on the P2, and @localroger has some code done for the ESPwhatever chips.

But I haven't seen any of this yet, so I am not sure about Internet connectivity with the P2.

Mike
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2019-12-26 03:56
    Heater. wrote: »
    Hi Chip,

Long time no see. Merry Christmas! I hope all is well with you and yours.
    I wonder how fast mdern DSP's can do a 1024-point FFT. It might be a few microseconds.
    If I recall correctly your P2 FFT at 3ms is about ten times faster than my old P1 FFT in C.
    https://github.com/ZiCog/fftbench

Sadly I do not have the PASM version in that repo. Which was a tad faster. I wonder where it is now...

I have no idea about modern DSPs but I notice that the ARM processor of the Rapberry Pi 3B does that FFT in 150us.

On the P1 we did get some useful speed up using two cores or four with the help of OpenMP in C.

Heater, we's thought you was dead! Glad you're alive and came back here, again. Welcome, and Merry Christmas!

Look what I have in my office:

Heater_Rock.jpg

Sorry for all the grief you've been through. Facts can mean nothing when lawyers get involved. I bet they came out ahead, at least.

I think I could get our FFT down to 700us. That Raspberry Pi 3B has a 1.2GHz 64-bit quad-core ARM chip. Let's see, 1.2GHz divided by our 250MHz is 4.8, which multiplied by 150us is 720us. Maybe we are about the same on throughput at a given frequency, per core.

643 x 537 - 126K
  • Heater. wrote: »
    Hi potatohead,

We couple of guys, made unemployed as we were, only wanted to pick up a little project the old company had abandoned.

Thinking we did not want any IP issues to arise we started from scratch. No more C or C++, no more node.js. All new code in Rust. No way anyone could claim we borrowed their code.

Sure they come after us anyway....

How can I use a P2 in all this?

Our remote sensors need internet connectivity.

Great to see you back buddy!

Sorry to hear about your predicament but hey, 2008 destroyed my $18M company. Dumped my life-savings into payroll, hoping things would improve...never happened.

I started again as a one-man-band and never been happier. I sense that we are about the same age.

Endless opportunity out there :cool:
    Thanks Mickster.

The next thing that is going to take me down is brexit. With that they might want to kick me out of here thus making our latest venture impossible and rendering me homeless!

There are those who don't want that to happen though. To that end I have had two proposals for marriage this year. Life is strange sometimes...

• First thing I would do is form an offshore corporation with nominee shareholders. This makes sense because you're not a bricks & mortar operation (I assume).

You then contract your services to the offshore corporation.

I like the IOM because of the 0% business tax for non-resident companies.

Here I go drifting off-topic again.
    Neat idea. I don't think we could have pulled it off.

Our only clients at the moment are Helsinki City and the Helsinki Port Authority. They gave us a thorough shake down before signing any contract. Not just our company but us and how we are contracted to it. This whole process took the best part of a year!

We are not brick and mortar but there is hardware involved that we need to install and maintain. That would get tricky if they decide to kick all the Brits out.

• AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2019-12-26 18:34
    Totally off topic:

A couple Brits, at the company I work at, decided to become German citizens at the end of last year as the first brexit date was getting near (I mean the 31 of March), they were quite welcome, as far as I remember. At the time there was a lengthy queue on the fear of being kicked out. They got to keep their british passports, of course. It may be an option too :)
    Publison,
    I'll get an extra of Peter's P2D2 in my package for North America distribution and send it to you. It's a bang up module.
    I just noticed what you said there.

That is a fantastic off that I could not possibly refuse.

P.M. me if it's realistic. I have likely changed address since whenever....