Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2 Eval board for the rest of us - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

P2 Eval board for the rest of us

2»

Comments

• openspin doesn't generate listings.
    (HomeSpun does generate listings, but unlike bstc and openspin, it can't remove unused methods)

tl;dr; there is no ultimate spin compiler
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    openspin doesn't generate listings.
    (HomeSpun does generate listings, but unlike bstc and openspin, it can't remove unused methods)

tl;dr; there is no ultimate spin compiler

So if openspin added listings would then it be the ultimate spin compiler?
  • Wuerfel_21Wuerfel_21 Posts: 4,448
    edited 2019-12-26 16:59
    Closer, but not there.

HomeSpun still has the advantage of having being a portable .NET thing and BSTC still has fancy optimizations
    (Altough with a listing, performing the same optimizations manually isn't too difficult)
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    bst has an inbuilt terminal and a listing, editor and project and zipper, and can do the 3x '@'.
    homespun has a nice include that works just like a pre-processor, and a listing.

Unfortunately OpenSpin never got the break it deserved :(
    It's a shame because of all the work Roy did.

It's all about timing, and it was too late on the scene for most of us. We needed it years earlier when we were complaining about the lack of conditionals and listing in PropTool (which it never got). bst and homespun were both done the hard way - without PropTool source.

So, I guess because there were already bst and homespun besides PropTool, and we were used to them all, and no specific point that we wanted over and above what these three provided. I use each for various reasons, but have never needed to use OpenSpin.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Perfection is a hard target to hit. Pleasing everyone is even harder.
  • There was a time when I was purchasing just about every product Parallax offered. I'm in the midst of a multi year hiatus from microcontroller hobby stuff, but must admit the P2 has me intrigued. During a weak moment, I placed my order for the dev board and the accessories kit. Now I just need to wait for the hobbyist friendly documentation (and an user friendly IDE) to catch up with the new hardware. What I managed to read through so far is pretty far above my head. I intend to use the new gear to learn PASM, something I never got around to with the P1.
  • rogersyd wrote: »
    There was a time when I was purchasing just about every product Parallax offered. I'm in the midst of a multi year hiatus from microcontroller hobby stuff, but must admit the P2 has me intrigued. During a weak moment, I placed my order for the dev board and the accessories kit. Now I just need to wait for the hobbyist friendly documentation (and an user friendly IDE) to catch up with the new hardware. What I managed to read through so far is pretty far above my head. I intend to use the new gear to learn PASM, something I never got around to with the P1.
    Have you tried FlexGUI? It's pretty user friendly.

• Thanks for the suggestion. You are the second person to recommend flexgui to me.

It was easy peasy to install and is running p1 code just fine. Now just counting the days for the eval board to show up :)

It would be great to see a "propeller education kit labs" document for the p2. I recall that being the most useful resource when i was learning spin the first time around.

cheers!
  • I would also agree with the lab for p2. Would be great for people like me. Flexgui is easy and even some simple pasm is starting to make some sense.
  • Yes, a P2 version of Parallax Education Kit Labs, Fundamentals, by Andy Lindsay would be great for a hobbyist (like me). And a small (4" X 4") P2 robot would be Nirvana.

If a hobbyist guinea pig were required, I would probably commit to diligently read the material, perform the experiments, and comment on my experience.
  • I think I will holding off on getting the Eval board, as it is today. I am waiting for the new Propeller Tool with Spin2 to become available. By then it might be April and a new P2 board will become available.

I am, at this point, not sure what development package I want use. Hopefully, the new Propeller Tool will be so complete, that it will become the tool I would want to use. We shall see.

Ray