Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New bot — Parallax Forums

New bot

Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
edited 2019-12-19 22:21 in Robotics
Hello!
Or is should that be "Resurrected bot"? A while ago I received most of the parts to build the basic BoE-Bot (Serial) here. I needed to buy the two CR enabled servos of course. And then assemble it. This happened today. See here:

IMG_20191219_153402.jpg

IMG_20191219_154747.jpg

The first describes him wearing the chassis and the two servos, and also the ball as wheel installed. The second shows the complete one with the BoE itself mounted on it. The power source will be a regular 9V battery in a holder. (Photo of that coming.)

Comments

• AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2019-12-21 17:37
    My first bot was a serial version of this feller! Love that the BS2-based bots are still so useful in education and hobby robotics!

EDIT: USB, not serial. Oops!
  • My first bot was a serial version of this feller! Love that the BS2-based bots are still so useful in education and hobby robotics!

And so is that guy. I have it assembled, but right now I am waiting on what to do next. Hobby yes, but most education communities are using the Arduino platform and the Raspberry Pi, and even full feature computer motherboards.
  • Buck Rogers, rotate the BoE 180 degrees so that the breadboard is over the wheels (the front of the robot).

Also, I wouldn't mind upgrading your wheels to the newest design. The wheels you are using have rubber band treads; whereas the new ones have a slot with an O-ring tire. It's a better system all around.

I would need your shipping address to kgracey@parallax.com.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Buck Rogers, rotate the BoE 180 degrees so that the breadboard is over the wheels (the front of the robot).

Also, I wouldn't mind upgrading your wheels to the newest design. The wheels you are using have rubber band treads; whereas the new ones have a slot with an O-ring tire. It's a better system all around.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

I should have responded yesterday, or earlier today, that I sent off my address to you via your address.
  • Buck RogersBuck Rogers Posts: 2,160
    edited 2019-12-24 06:00
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Buck Rogers, rotate the BoE 180 degrees so that the breadboard is over the wheels (the front of the robot).

Thanks,

Ken Gracey

I should have responded yesterday, or earlier today, that I sent off my address to you via your address.

Okay the new wheels arrived today. As for the rubber band treads, I wasn't able to apply them. I'd start trying to stretch one around, say left handed wheel, and I could not successfully stretch the band around it. I finally ignored them and simply attached them.

And now with the new wheels here, I changed out the wheels. And also rotated the board 180 degrees as requested, so that the breadboard is over his front. Also what's the normal working voltage for this robot? (The board contains the usual notations of 6 to 9 volts.) I connected to it a 9V one in a holder and used the barrel connector to connect to it. And used the GUI Bot program to construct the one I wanted. Oddly enough I could see the wheels turn the few I used for my first.

This bot is BoE based. Can the same frame be used with the PAB board I have here? I've got a doozy of an idea involving Blocky, and don't want to do anything else.
    EDIT: I have since found that his servo connections go to 12 and 13. And that 14 and 15 would go to the senors I am currently not using.
  • Since this is a stamp based bot, I would recommend the book ‘Robotics With the Boe-bot’ by Andy Lindsay. That book taught me most of what I know about PBASIC!
  • Since this is a stamp based bot, I would recommend the book ‘Robotics With the Boe-bot’ by Andy Lindsay. That book taught me most of what I know about PBASIC!

That's the wonder of it. I have the book already. However this is a testbed vehicle. Rather like how the car companies create these "concept cars" where the chances of any of what they design can or will or should not arrive in a production vehicle.

GMC actually had an EV running around Detroit and in their Winter well before any company considered it. And that was in the 1970s. Now they are commonplace. For now the wonder of building the chassis that the Board is standing on was worth it. Ken if you're reading this, you've designed the perfect kit. And the GUI-Bot program was perfect for loading the bot with with the code to send it on its way.
  • I cannot agree more that boe bots are the BEST!!
  • I cannot agree more that boe bots are the BEST!!

Yes indeed. My cats agree that the BoE Bots are perfect. And even better then the IRobot vacuum they chased around a house not all that long ago.
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2019-12-25 00:44
    I wanna get a prop version going to play with my dogs. I had IR remote control on a BS2 bot, but the calculations for the IR took too long so it stuttered.
  • I wanna get a prop version going to play with my dogs. I had IR remote control on a BS2 bot, but the calculations for the IR took too long so it stuttered.

Yes the bot arranged it, so that the bot could arrange for them to replaced by four respectable members of the cat population that runs your part of Nevada. (That's where you are, yes?)
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244

GMC actually had an EV running around Detroit and in their Winter well before any company considered it. And that was in the 1970s.

The ElectroVair!

• erco wrote: »

GMC actually had an EV running around Detroit and in their Winter well before any company considered it. And that was in the 1970s.

The ElectroVair!

Close but no smelly abuse of plant life. In fact that prototype wasn't what I was thinking of. They made use of what today would be called an SUV to turn it into one. It was a typical prototype car, even before the EV conversion job. Your Corvair as an EV design was probably even before it.

The big problem was as it was before the beginning of the first ones several years earlier, including your Leaf. And that was battery sizing. In fact the ones on the EV1 that GMC fielded for many years before just one of them had a suspicious fire on it, wore some large ones. In fact Phil Karn the man who practically invented software for Ham Radio drove one for many years before all of them were recalled, and you can guess what happened, except for his. The Smithsonian rescued it.

And as it happens the rovers sent with the last few Apollo missions were the inspiration for the regular EV.

Incidentally what's with the four cats who were watching you work? Plus a lot of them outside?