Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Radio Shack Cable Sale-P2 Projects — Parallax Forums

Radio Shack Cable Sale-P2 Projects

PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
edited 2019-11-22 20:21 in General Discussion
Just got an email from Radio Shack. Many Audio/Video cables on sale. Many that pertain to new P2 DVI/HDMI VGA video projects. Also video converters. Up to 88% off.
https://www.radioshack.com/collections/a-v-cable-sale?utm_campaign=2019-11-22 AV Cables Sale (PQTxmE)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=E-52&_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJlbmdpbmVlcmluZ0Bob3ZlcmR5bmFtaWNzLmNvbSIsICJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIkpLY2VlVCJ9

This may only pertain to US people.

Comments

• I miss being able to walk over to the parts drawer and pick out a part I want to use in a project.
    Jim
  • This is much more devastating than RS (not sure it's been mentioned here yet)

https://www.yelp.com/biz/frys-electronics-renton-renton
  • I don't get the Fry's--Radio Shack connection?
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Publison wrote: »
    I don't get the Fry's--Radio Shack connection?

Maybe talk of Fry's closing?
  • The shelves at all Fry's locations are 80% empty.

For those who never had the pleasure of living near a Fry's: Fry's is to Radioshack as an aircraft carrier is to a dingy.

• RS_Jim wrote: »
    I miss being able to walk over to the parts drawer and pick out a part I want to use in a project.
    Jim

I can imagine. Since that era has passed, I'm interested in knowing what you are doing now.

Ken Gracey
  • Ken,
    I ended up working for Wally World. Keeps me out of the house so the wife doesn’t kill me and provides us with a slush fund for the inevitable things that seem to happen to senior citizens. I still putter with things propeller, but budget is extremely limited. Right now I’m trying to get an ebr400 interfaced to the prop so I can use the android joystick app on an old cell phone.

Jim
  • ...hmmm - I wasn't aware that Radio Shack had survived as an on-line store.
  • Our local hardware store bought a lot of the RS store's inventory when they closed up. They still maintain a pretty good selection of consumer electronic needs, but none of the hobbyist stuff. You know times have changed when you can buy USB cables at Safeway and QFC.

I'm resigned to buying the other parts I need online (DigiKey, Parallax, Mouser, etc.) with two-day shipping via Priority Mail. As I get older, I appreciate even more the value of patience and advance planning. :)

-Phil
  • There are still a few Radio Shack stores around, but mostly in rural areas, as independent dealers.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    I have a hobby store that sells actual Radio Shack stuff about two miles from my house.
    The have one isle of all Radio Shack stuff. I'll have to take a picture next time I'm in there.

Bean
  • Is that HobbyTown USA?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Thanks for sharing that link, Jim. The sale prices are mostly reasonable, I didn't see any steals. Their regular/original prices are ridiculous, as always.

With Radio hack and Hobby People (my local hobby shop) gone, I've been forced to up my hoarders's game. Fortunately I'm better organized now and have most of my treasures labeled & stored in well-placed bins & drawers. The new office digs are really paying off. I've pulled a few recent all-nighters building complex things that I never could have done at home. Wish I was free to share but it's all confidential.

One thing I will say is that electronics, micros and sensors continue to be "black magic" for most people. I'm trying to focus on inventing now, but I get continual requests for stupid-simple low tech freelance projects. Voice chips, blinking LEDs, simple motor stuff. Clients with cash who can't find anyone to do it. I hate saying no, so I take on more than I should. I'm not complaining, but I never would have believed that in 2019 it's hard to find someone to blink an LED or play a sound file. WOW.

Radio Shack & Hobby People closing down clearly isn't helping.

• Publison wrote: »
    Is that HobbyTown USA?

The HobbyTown USA in Reynoldsburg, OH has a Radio Shack section.

C.W.