Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 3 Unofficial Wishlist - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller 3 Unofficial Wishlist

2»

Comments

• Maybe the P3 should be entering the microprocessor field. I noticed, just recently, that Microchip is already there. Or is Chip just going to retire?

Ray
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Propeller 3 Unofficial Wishlist

My suggestions:

1) 64 bit cogs!
    With 64 bit instructions, the 32 bits would easily allow adding 7 more bits to SRC and DST, for up to 64K 64 bit COG locations, and still leave 18 bits for other goodies.
    2) 16 cogs
    3) 1MB of hub memory, organized as 128K x 64

There are really many possible P2+ future paths. This big jump wishlist is more like P7 ?
    Next iterations are more likely to be smaller steps, ie using the same process and same PAD Ring IP.

A large iteration (significant process shrink) is more likely to include RISC-V core(s?), and that drops the need for 16 COGs

ofcourse fast SPI-like modes for input and output, and addition of Manchester coding to allow at least 100BaseT
    Quad and Octa SPI / HyperBUS etc modes to allow XIP could certainly be considered.
    Allowing more transparent XIP eases pressure on Code memory.

The i.MX MCUs from NXP also make interesting reading, someone may do a module with one of those + P2, which also eases pressure on any P3..P7?

From NXP web, simplest variant :
    The i.MX RT1010 Features
    Arm® Cortex®-M7 up to 500 MHz
    Real-time, low-latency response as low as 20 ns
    External memory interface options
    80 LQFP packages for low-cost PCB designs
    $0.99 suggested resale for 100 Ku
  • Blast from the past! Old thread.
  • Y'all should've waited a couple months to resurrect this thread.
    It'd have been dead for over 10 years!
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    Publison wrote: »
    Blast from the past! Old thread.
    Oops, I missed that someone resurrected an old thread...
  • jmg wrote: »
    Publison wrote: »
    Blast from the past! Old thread.
    Oops, I missed that someone resurrected an old thread...
    Sorry, my fault. I just wanted to avoid opening a new thread with my recent survey.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
  • The trouble with trying to tack onto a really old thread is that we get caught off-guard not always realizing that it's an old thread, and then we start to respond to the old posts and go "doh".
    So I would always recommend to start a new thread if the old one is years old.

I know that moderators can lock threads. Perhaps a good forum feature to have is for the forum to automatically lock threads which lay dormant for more than a few years?
    We can always link to them for reference if need be. But then again, this kind of thing, although not unusual, rarely happens.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,797
    edited 2019-11-13 02:02
    It’s not that old...

But, I’ve been here a while...

And, I think P2 is pretty awesome.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    Cluso99 wrote: »

Now let's think about this rationally... LOL

It's 2010 and it will take at least 5 years for the Prop III. ...
    how fast time goes by ...

• The trouble with trying to tack onto a really old thread is that we get caught off-guard not always realizing that it's an old thread, and then we start to respond to the old posts and go "doh".
    So I would always recommend to start a new thread if the old one is years old.

I know that moderators can lock threads. Perhaps a good forum feature to have is for the forum to automatically lock threads which lay dormant for more than a few years?
    We can always link to them for reference if need be. But then again, this kind of thing, although not unusual, rarely happens.

I know of one forum that throws up a red banner with a warning about the age of the thread.