Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Home made silicon IC — Parallax Forums

Home made silicon IC

I didn't make the IC, but I thought you might find it interesting

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    That guy did it all!
  • I saw that the other day! I thought making a processor with this process would be fun!
  • WOW!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I saw that the other day! I thought making a processor with this process would be fun!
    He would need a giant wafer, and the processor would have just thousands of transistors. Still interesting, though.

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço
    This is a neat video about state-of-the-art steppers:

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    That's very up to date! Presentation is way too fast for my liking though. They only slow down slightly when talking about discovering the solution to the EUV power problem.

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Interesting article. Should produce a jump in Moore's Law :)
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,126
    Don't you mean catch up on the lost progress.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    Fascinating video!! I guess it goes without saying that ASML is behind TSMC’s 7 nm FinFET process, as seen in the Ryzen 3000?
  • Whenever I see something like what was in that film or photos of the SCSC at CERN, I'm so awed by the complexity that I have to wonder how mere mortals could design and construct such a thing.

-Phil
    edited 2019-11-02 19:32
    Whenever I see something like what was in that film or photos of the SCSC at CERN, I'm so awed by the complexity that I have to wonder how mere mortals could design and construct such a thing.

-Phil

Yes, I wonder how they decided that tin would be the ideal material to zap into plasma. And how do they prepare those tin balls shooting out of their machine gun at high frequency? And how do they evacuate the tin residue after the plasma cools back to gas/liquid/solid? I wonder if there is some kind of buildup. And how to they keep the water flat on the wafer during this process? Lots of science at work. They are going to need a P2 to take that machine to the next level.
  • Wow...that video brought back memories of my days in grad school learning plasma physics. My hat is off to those engineers that developed the machine.

Discovery