Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2D2 with P2-revB - taking orders! — Parallax Forums

P2D2 with P2-revB - taking orders!

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2019-11-17 02:45 in Propeller 2
I know there are quite a few people interested in getting their hands on a P2D2 with the new RevB silicon. I'm waiting for my P2 chips and so I will probably make these up next week to ship.

Please use this thread to place your tentative order, even if you have asked me before, just to be sure. Ask any questions you want that have to do with P2D2 and the options.

To cut down on shipping costs, some may decide to band together and place the one order.

The main options I have at the moment are 8MB SPI RAM (in place of 1MB SPI FLASH) and RTC with that tiny ultracap for backup. A larger through-hole supercap can also be fitted if need be.

I find the Si5351 clock gen makes it versatile too and this defaults to 25MHz at power-up. It's a pity that the eval board uses 20MHz, whereas the 25MHz crystals are 10ppm and cheap.

Also, I really like the low-profile socket headers that I use as this helps make the module more rugged in that it doesn't have pins that get bent and the module can be plugged into cheap pin headers. For me this connector would be standard but they won't be mounted unless specified.

Even though P2D2 now comes with onboard USB serial, you can still override this from the serial coms header or direct. This is handy if you decide to add Bluetooth serial (like I do).

STANDARD UNIT (Updated Nov 8 )
* 16MB Flash
* 2A switcher
* EFM8UB3 USB serial and ancillary functions including internal DTR reset pulses.
* Si5351 clock gen with 20MHz P2 clock (loads the Si5351 at powerup)
* RTC + 11mF cap
Price $70 USD

P2D2
Includes:
* P2 revB
* 1MB Flash
* USB serial
* Reset switch and LEDs
* Si5351 clock gen,
* microSD socket (of course)
* RV-3028-C7 RTC + supercap

Configurations and Options:
* Heatsink PCB (loose - not fitted - limited quantity but free)
* 8MB SPIRAM
* Preloaded 16GB or 64GB SanDisk Ultra A1 (TAQOZ RELOADED + various media files)
* Flip-side reset switch, LEDs, and microSD socket (when plugged in flipped although my dev board has reset and leds etc)
* Serial coms pin header (Prop-plug compatible)

I will post up some more details and board photos shortly along with some pricing information. While I am trying to keep the price down I also need to make enough margins to make more boards etc.

EDIT: I will release details soon of the dev board that the P2D2 can plug into as well. You can then order this with the P2D2 as a kit.
I have attached the schematic for the r3 production version but the photo is still of my prototype r2 with incomplete test connectors etc

EDIT: Nov 8 - first r3 test unit
p2d2r3.jpg

Dimensions:
p2d2r3-dim.png

Comments

• YES! I want at least 1 with the RTC and uSD socket. Hopefully shipping to the US isn't as bad as I imagine it will be!
  • Hi Peter, you'll know I want one for sure, possibly two. Just waiting to see any photos/schematics of the latest P2D2 revision and dimensions to see exactly what has changed since the original version, and that will help in selecting options compatible physically and electrically with my own board.

Cheers!
  • Would love one for sure.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2019-11-03 04:37
    cheezus wrote: »
    YES! I want at least 1 with the RTC and uSD socket. Hopefully shipping to the US isn't as bad as I imagine it will be!

Definitely want one fully loaded as well. I'm sure shipping to Canada will not be cheap, but want one bad.

EDIT

As mentioned in a later post I would like to get in on Publison's group buy for North America. Definitely want one with all the options. Just need to know where to send the order, my shipping address, and payment.

• dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2019-11-04 12:58
    Hi Perer, you know I am waiting this long time.

Keep one for me, possibly two if you have them enough on stock.
    Configuration: P2D2r3 with Si5351, RTC and EFM8.

Regarding the SD socket I believe that this is anyway present and you are only asking if we want these components top or bottom mounted.
    For me everything top mounted, same side as P2 chip.

I am also interested in one dev board, provided it is equipped also with a few mikroBUS sockets

PS: If you have other requests from Italy/Europe and want to share delivery costs no problems for me.

Regards
  • I would like one with all the options. Just let me know the amount to send you! :)
  • I would like one with all the options also. We are getting so close!
  • rosco_pcrosco_pc Posts: 449
    edited 2019-10-31 13:31
    I would like one with all the options minus SD card
  • I can take care of North America distribution again if we do a group buy.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738
    As Peter is ready to manufacture, we are ready to distribute in EU and hopefully GB
  • Publison wrote: »
    I can take care of North America distribution again if we do a group buy.

I will get in on the group buy.
    I would like one P2D2 fully loaded with Dev Kit.
    I would also like a bare P2D2 board (unpopulated) (for my collection :lol:).

I realized that all this is still future info....
  • avsa242avsa242 Posts: 424
    edited 2019-11-03 10:36
    Publison wrote: »

I'd be in for one w/all options.
    Edit: I'm in the US
  • I would like to purchase one with all options as well.
  • Do I understand it correctly that you can have either SPI flash or RAM and not both? If you choose RAM how do you boot? From SD card?
  • QuelloRoboticsQuelloRobotics Posts: 7
    edited 2019-10-31 17:00
    Mark me down for one as well, add RTC.

US buyer, so I’ll stay in contact with @Publison for those details.

Thanks!
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,621
    edited 2019-11-03 03:03
    I would take one with RTC... (SPI FLASH if an option)

USA delivery!

dgately
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    David Betz wrote: »
    Do I understand it correctly that you can have either SPI flash or RAM and not both? If you choose RAM how do you boot? From SD card?

IIRC Peter has a add-on Board for HyperRAM, and the SO8 footprint can be either FLASH or 1 or 2 bit SPI RAM eg PSRAM, or it could be the new AS300xx MRAM (if you can get some).

What maybe possible, for development. could be to physically stack 2 x SO8, and worm wire to the upper CS-RAM pin - maybe P55 can be CS_RAM ?

That would not support QuadSPI RAM access, but it would get to Dual SPI on the RAMs that can do that. Looks like LY68L6400 is 1/4 only, but IS62WVS5128GBLL 4MB SRAM & MRAM spec Dual.
  • MJBMJB Posts: 1,235
    @"Peter Jakacki"
    as time for shipping comes
    I was reminded of the different nice P1 boards you have (IOT5500+P8, pixie,
    SD1144, P1200, P1372 ... whatever those number represent ;-) ....
    Years ago we (others and I) had asked for a feature and price list and how to get some ...
    can't remember I have seen it ...
    Maybe some others would also be interested in bundling some P1 boards
    in a P2D2 shipping ... ???

• threadzthreadz Posts: 56
    edited 2019-11-04 00:56
    I definitely want one with RTC & 16GB SD.
    Edit: I'm in FL, USA
  • PropGuy2PropGuy2 Posts: 358
    edited 2019-11-03 13:48
    Put me down for two (2) P2D2 modules with all options - US order @Publison.

What is your target price for the modules?

One more thing - on the Si5351 chip please be aware of the problems and limitations of this chip here:

https://groups.io/g/BITX20/topic/si5351a_facts_and_myths/5430607

The Si5351 is now End of Life according to Silicone Labs 2015 - Stand corrected, I read the wrong part number!

• jmgjmg Posts: 15,140
    PropGuy2 wrote: »
    The Si5351 is now End of Life according to Silicone Labs 2015 - however there seem to be plenty available among electronics suppliers.

Err.. You may be confusing the Si5351A -A (which does have a 2015 EOL) with the replacement revised part Si5351A-B, that is very much in active production.

SiLabs DOCs say this
    Existing Part Number Replacement Part Number
    Si5351A-A-GT Si5351A-B-GT
    Si5351A-A-GM Si5351A-B-GM
    Si5351B-A-GM Si5351B-B-GM
    Si5351C-A-GM Si5351C-B-GM
    Si5351x-A-GU Revision B does not support 24 QSOP packages.

The MSOP10 (-GT) is the smallest and most popular package, but I have seen PCBs designed for the QFN package, which has better paper jitter specs, due to the much better GND.
    Likely that difference matters most if you are using both PLLs, and will be less significant for single-output uses.
  • I want one, with RTC. Will stay in touch with publison.

• I want one, with 16GB SD, RTC and 8MiB PSRAM. If the flash chip is bootable on the external hyperram PCB for goofing off with SPI NOR boot later, one of those too. Otherwise I'll just stick with SD booting+PSRAM.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2019-11-05 00:41
    Peter/Publison,

I would like one with all the options too please.
    Nova Scotia
    Canada

:)

Bob

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,336
    edited 2019-11-02 23:10
    Hi Peter

Please put me down for one with 8MB SPI RAM & RTC. And the serial comms pin header (not sure if that's an option or not!)

Shipping to Australia!

Ross.
  • Peter
    I would like 1 with the following:
    * 8MB SPIRAM
    * RTC
    * Preloaded 16GB or 64GB SanDisk Ultra A1 (TAQOZ RELOADED + various media files)

* Serial coms pin header (Prop-plug compatible)

I would like to be part of the U.S. group buy.
    Thanks
    Tom
  • octettaoctetta Posts: 123
    edited 2019-11-04 15:59
    Would like one with the all the options please. I'm in the U.S. If Publison does a mass order, would like to be grouped with him. Very cool and exciting.
  • K2K2 Posts: 691
    I'd like a P2D2. Your most common config is fine with me. Direct ship from OZ or part of a group buy - either one will do.
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Publison wrote: »

I would like to get in on the group buy. Definitely want one with all the options. Just need to know where to send the order and payment.

• JimFouch2JimFouch2 Posts: 26
    edited 2019-11-05 05:00
    I'd like one with all the options.

I'm located in USA