Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Microprocessor programming help!! — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Microprocessor programming help!!

I am working on a project with the circuit of a parallax boebot, I am trying to figure out how to program the microprocessor to turn on when it gets turned on from a 555 timer and turn off when it's not getting a signal. Im not sure of where to start with the program

Comments

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    By turn on and turn off do you mean to actually turn on/off the power to the to the microcontroller, or do you mean to have it stop running the program when it is not getting the signal?
  • blackout123,

Rarely are microcontrollers turned on and off, and using a signal to control a microcontroller is very common.

What are your signal rates and what do you need done during that time?

Also are you using a BS2 or another microcontroller?
  • I use both methods with a BS2. One of the best features of the BS2's is that the processor will automatically boot and run the current program when power is applied. This works perfectly after power is restored as a result of a utility power outage. The program can easily be stopped at any time by an input signal. I also use the BS2 to drive stepper motors to raise and lower windows by detecting the voltage from a reversing switch thus the microcontroller gets turned on and off every time the windows are raised or lowered.

Sincerely,

Discovery
  • You could leave the stamp2 running. And when a pin senses a high from the 555 timer it exacutes a sub-routine.
  • Be wary of bots that are using Markov Chains to mimic natural speech.
    If you have any question, look at (but don't click) the links in the signature.
  • ompany8ompany8 Posts: 1
    edited 2019-11-04 04:56
    Discovery wrote: »
    I use both methods with a BS2. One of the best features of the BS2's is that the processor will automatically boot and run the current program when power is applied. This works perfectly after power is restored as a result of a utility power outage. The program can easily be stopped at any time by an input lottery sambad signal. I also use the BS2 to drive stepper motors to raise and lower windows by detecting the voltage from a reversing switch thus the microcontroller gets turned on and off every time the windows are raised or lowered.

Sincerely,

Discovery

Yeah the last one you mentioned is what I am doing. I'm sendi[color][/color]ng the output of the 555 timer into the input of the Basic Stamp and I want it to use that signal to trigger the program that will turn on an IR LED the 555 timer will basically send a 1 and a 0 fir on and off and sample that at a 100 times a second. I just don't know how to do that.
  • Are you wanting the BASIC Stamp to modulate the IR LED? You can do that (FREQOUT), but the command is blocking and you'll have to wait for it to finish before sampling the input from the 555 again.